Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Sports Walkout

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are no doubt an extremely smart and intelligent person. Respectfully though, you’re whitewashing the role the domino effect ethnocentrism of the British Empire played in shaping our laws and creating a baseline in how we view “others” as a society. That includes separating the Irish/Scottish/Italians and viewing them the same way you all still joke about a few of the groups even today. In part, leading to the justification of slavery and conditioning the use of violence to “civilize or destroy the savages” in our expansion west. Hell, my home state was created as a penal colony where largely northern English/Scots/Irish got to work off their debts, and then naturally became poor agrarians that is still reflected as a relatively poorer region with a “backwoods” culture generalization. In the lifespan of a country that wasn’t all that long ago.

You can forget the past all you want, but we are a product of you and our laws were shaped to make sure we never became what you were. To this day our gun laws are justified to protect our citizens from an overbearing government - as ironic as that sounds. Anthropologically speaking we are still a young country adjusting our baseline and figuring things out. Things like culture don’t just change overnight. People forget the modern continuous US is barely 100 years old. We just so happened to win a lottery of circumstances that made us essentially a very rich and powerful infant that had barely begun to look in at itself and adjust.

I look at what’s happening right now as (hopefully) a very tough but necessary step in our growth. A positive sign is black athletes have the power to fight an injustice, something they’ve never had the power to do in the past. Things in this country aren’t nearly as bad or tense as social media and the global spread of information make it out to be. I grew up and my family still lives in the county with the second highest black population in the country. What you’re imagining interactions between races to be like vs. actual reality would surprise you.

**During this pandemic my writing has turned to crap. My wife is a doctor still treating Covid patients (thankfully dwindling at her hospital) and me being one step away from her I stare at data from home all day and don’t get out much at all except for rare necessary work travel. Apologies for typos as I’m not nearly as sharp as usual.

Edit to add - my avatar of King George from Hamilton isn’t to troll. I thought it would be a funny way to try and connect me being an outsider to a team and group I really like.

Excellent post, and thanks for the perspective. I hope you're keeping your sanity, given your wife's job and your circumstances. I am struggling a bit myself to be honest.

If I gave the impression of whitewashig history I apologise. I realise that the wealth of the west is founded on slavery and exploitation, and deporting and denigrating and even exterminating the 'lesser' white races as they would have been described at the time (Welsh, Irish, Italians, Poles; yes I've been to Pittsburgh). What the English did to Paraguay in the late 1800s is a little known case in point ('who gives a shit' as they say...). I am aware of the 'science' that proved that black people have smaller brains than whites (the classic marbles in the skull volume measurement study, where the investigator packed them into small white skulls, by his own admission). All that stuff. However, I often let my emotions, my exasperation with current day dick headery, to overly inform my perspective.

The bottom line for me in all this is I support BLM, accept I have unconscious bias, and am making an effort to be nice, be engaged, drop all the racist and sexist and genderist jokes (I think I'm doing OK, although I have in the past sniggered at comments like 'friends of Dorothy'. Damn. Did it again. It just sounds so....silly.). I don't have any answer, really, other than to oppose obvious badness, and avoid whataboutery.

As an aside I have been inrigued listening to black people interviewed here, talking about their lives and experiences. Not least because when I was younger I'd switch off (literally). I liked their music but (etc etc). Saddens me that some posters on here haven't even got to the stage of liking their music, let alone dealing with all the other attitudes that white people can acquire. Ian Wright, for one, is inspiration, and touching, and so unbelievably generous of spirit. Love the man.

And, yes, 'race relations' isn't one thing, and I may or may not be surpised by your experience. Not, would be my guess.:thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All these white folk protecting their property with carbon powered, fully automatic, armalige assault rifles are a great argument for defunding the police. There’s simply no need for cops to be out murdering black folks, the public at large are happy to do it for them.

Jan 30, 2008
All these white folk protecting their property with carbon powered armalite fully automatic assault rifles are a great argument for defunding the police. There’s simply no need for cops to be out murdering black folks, the public at large are happy to do it for them.
can't we all just get along like we did in the good old days

Mod edit: nah, thanks

regards
DF

Last edited by a moderator:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It saddens me greatly to write that in Washington DC in the 50’s and 60’s, there are a number Of posters on here who would be kicking and spitting on black people who dared to stand up for their human rights.
I think it’s obvious to all who they are.
A genuinely saddening thread.

The minstrels footage hasn’t done you any favours either.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, that's why I'm not in the [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] camp of jumping in too quickly. Give that type of person enough rope and It's only a matter of time before they exceed the bounds of acceptability.

They just can't help themselves.

Ghastly poster. Das Reich, not Plooks.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It saddens me greatly to write that in Washington DC in the 50’s and 60’s, there are a number Of posters on here who would be kicking and spitting on black people who dared to stand up for their human rights.
I think it’s obvious to all who they are.
A genuinely saddening thread.

The minstrels footage hasn’t done you any favours either.

Judging by an earlier post HWT would have been one of them, only while he was at grammar school though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Judging by an earlier post HWT would have been one of them, only while he was at grammar school though.

He didn't quite go that far, but don't let that spoil a pointless dig, and I think he mentioned that he was 15 - most people grow-up after that age....others, clearly not.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
He didn't quite go that far, but don't let that spoil a pointless dig, and I think he mentioned that he was 15 - most people grow-up after that age....others, clearly not.

I certainly didn’t have his disgusting,abhorrent views when I was fifteen. Disgusting excuse for a human.

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
How odd, some people on here keep insisting Gammon is in no way descriptive of or referring to people based on the colour of their skin
ie white people.
And yet here it is again.......

It's a subset - remember them and how they work?

A bit like fish - there are edible fish and poisonous fish....they're all fish, just that some are pretty useless to people, generally.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's a subset - remember them and how they work?

A bit like fish - there are edible fish and poisonous fish....they're all fish, just that some are pretty useless to people, generally.

Its white people.

I can live with that sort of casual racism on here, im not offended, free speech is important, + not my forum, if i dont like it i can go elsewhere.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Now on twitter seems to be plenty who think UK sports should also walk out in solidarity and momentum gaining for such a move.

Im presuming you have seen this, but are the uk people on twitter (who think uk sports should also walk out) of any importance? What constitutes plenty?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well ****ing done people well done.
Yet again NSC can not have a conversation about a huge issue at the moment without it being sent to the bear pit. Why are we letting the idiots win?

To be fair I don't think you're winning.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would think if he's got previous form and local they may. Not sure if this is the case in this situation.

If the car's registered in his name it would show up in a record check, outstanding warrants etc.

The worst thing you could do after you've been wrestling with officers is to march back to your car away from them with previous gun related issues and then reach into the car.

Previous or not, if I was in the US and was resisting arrest and failing to comply with the police at a stop, and then went to reach into my car to retrieve something, I wouldcertainly expect to be shot, maybe not 7 times, but definately once or twice. Over in the UK I would expect to get tasered.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here