Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Sports Walkout

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Indeed.

America is such a mess. My understanding is that a bunch of white people (the gammon element) took it on themselves to stand outside stores yesterday to protect them from looting, just like some of our gammon took it upon themselves to stand in front of statues of historical figures to protect our heritage a few weeks ago. Except the Americans were armed. And one 17 year old murdered an unarmed protester with a long range shot from a rifle. I didn't catch all the details but I gather the shooter is white and the dead man black, although I could be wrong....

And the President has repeatedly shown he's on the side of the white guys. Come what may.

We are very fortunate in this country. The toxic mix of gun culture and 'freedom of expression' in the US has made the murder of black people an unexceptional part of life, and pretty much sport for some. This clearly includes some police there. I remember reading how an 'all white jury' convicts a 'black man' with a regularity in the 1960s. How much has changed? If I were a black American I'd be perpetually wavering between depression and anger, reluctant to step away from what seems like a safe neighbourhood. And yet.....

And yet how many times did Danny Rose say he's been stopped by the police in his nice car, and have his first class train ticket checked while all the other white passengers just got the 'good morning sir' from the guard? We don't generally kill our black people in the UK, unlike the Americans, but we certainly give them some cause for consternation.

So if I were black British I'd feel a bit miffed that some white people are bored and irritated by the knee taking, think that 'enough is enough' and that its 'time to move on' or even that 'white lives matter too'.

Somewhere there is a space between abandoning all human activity as a protest against against yet another murdered black man in America, and doing nothing at all. I'm happy with what is happening in the UK right now. Americans can make their own choices. And threads ike this and conversations like this have more than a whiff of fishing about them, giving some the opportunity to express their white privileged views.....

If my business had been destroyed and I had also been beaten for trying to stop it from happening then I might just take exception to being described as a " gammon "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvkbb4GBLI

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This is who they are protesting for. No wonder the Cops got nervous when he went back to his car with a history like his.

View attachment 127714

What I find difficult to understand is that you're an advocate of people owning guns, yet are justifying this guy being shot because he owned a gun :shrug:

There's a white couple from St Louis being lauded by Trump and the republicans for pointing their guns at protestors, but the same people are suggesting this guy deserved to be shot because he has a history of pointing guns at people.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that America has divided society into people allowed to wave guns around and people not allowed to wave guns around, and that division is along rather obvious lines.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i'll clarify ....if US sportsmen want to walk out then i would say it is justifiable but UK sports people .....no , not for mine , we all know its wrong what is happening on a weekly basis in the states , the fact is it is a violent society on the verge of total melt down , the UK is not.

Agree.

And with explanation in post above. I don't normally do brevity. :rolleyes:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What I find difficult to understand is that you're an advocate of people owning guns, yet are justifying this guy being shot because he owned a gun :shrug:

There's a white couple from St Louis being lauded by Trump and the republicans for pointing their guns at protestors, but the same people are suggesting this guy deserved to be shot because he has a history of pointing guns at people.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that America has divided society into people allowed to wave guns around and people not allowed to wave guns around, and that division is along rather obvious lines.

If he carrys it and respects what it can do no issue. He didn't.

He pulled it out in a bar while drunk and brandished it at people then resisted arrest. They aren't the only charges he's had as he has more pending.

I had a 15 year old cousin stabbed to death earlier this year by two 14 years old with criminal records already longer than your arm. We had to endure dead shits coming out and defending these turds as if they were hard done by and it wasn't their fault even though they were the ones robbing him.

So you'll forgive me if I'd rather be able to defend myself or family or anyone from that if I'm present. You'll also have to forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who commit crimes and then cry victim.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If my business had been destroyed and I had also been beaten for trying to stop it from happening then I might just take exception to being described as a " gammon "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvkbb4GBLI

Indeed. No argument with that.

But there were others with no dog in the fight who just went out for a bit of fun. I've seen the footage of one of the murders. It was nothing more than 'let's shoot some black guys'.

I also deplore rioting, especially the Palace style burning of one's own town. I don't think behaving like a dick is ever justified. There are smarter ways of making a point.

But that's another conversation.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My view on Black Lives Matter is that it is a very relevant message in the US, less so in the UK where racially aggravated murder is thankfully very rare.

What isn't rare however is the tiny acts of disrespect and mistrust that happen to ethnic minorities everyday which are invisible to us usually but come to the fore with stories like the one Danny Rose mentioned. I suppose BLM over here is sort of a way of saying, "Can we all do fewer little acts of racism please".

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Indeed. No argument with that.

But there were others with no dog in the fight who just went out for a bit of fun. I've seen the footage of one of the murders. It was nothing more than 'let's shoot some black guys'.

I also deplore rioting, especially the Palace style burning of one's own town. I don't think behaving like a dick is ever justified. There are smarter ways of making a point.

But that's another conversation.

As far as I can tell most of the " mostly peacefully protesters " in USA are white as was the 3 persons shot by the 17 year old with the AR15 . The roof Korenas weren't exactly gammon either .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As far as I can tell most of the " mostly peacefully protesters " in USA are white as was the 3 persons shot by the 17 year old with the AR15 . The roof Korenas weren't exactly gammon either .

The people shot by the 17 year old were white? I didn't know that.

I took a look and found that indeed one of them was: "One of the Kenosha protesters killed by a gun-toting vigilante was identified Wednesday as a talented skateboarder who died while trying to disarm the gunman."

victim.PNG

But Mr Rittenhouse, the gunman is also white.

rittenhouse.PNG

"As video footage circulated about the shooting, social media users identified the potential suspect as Mr Rittenhouse. His Facebook page is no longer available to the public, but previous posts allegedly included Blue Lives Matter and pro-police statements."

That's so messed up. If anything speaks to the absurdity of American gun culture, that does :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is who they are protesting for. No wonder the Cops got nervous when he went back to his car with a history like his.

View attachment 127714

Great use of selective editing.

For some reason you have decided not to state that Blake was not convicted of any of of these charges that occurred 5 years ago, and therefore the court records have been removed.

An innocent man has a history of not being convicted so the Police are free to shoot him as they would know his conviction free history.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If he carrys it and respects what it can do no issue. He didn't.

He pulled it out in a bar while drunk and brandished it at people then resisted arrest. They aren't the only charges he's had as he has more pending.

I had a 15 year old cousin stabbed to death earlier this year by two 14 years old with criminal records already longer than your arm. We had to endure dead shits coming out and defending these turds as if they were hard done by and it wasn't their fault even though they were the ones robbing him.

So you'll forgive me if I'd rather be able to defend myself or family or anyone from that if I'm present. You'll also have to forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who commit crimes and then cry victim.

Sorry to hear that.

Blake wasn't commiting a crime when he was shot. If he was committing a crime he still shouldn't have been shot, its for a judge and Judy to determine his punishment.

I don't believe in vigilante justice but I can understand it when the person wronged wants to take matters into their own hands. But vigilante justice carried out by the police? No, its not right in a proper society

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

I took a look and found that indeed one of them was: "One of the Kenosha protesters killed by a gun-toting vigilante was identified Wednesday as a talented skateboarder who died while trying to disarm the gunman."

View attachment 127719

View attachment 127717

"As video footage circulated about the shooting, social media users identified the potential suspect as Mr Rittenhouse. His Facebook page is no longer available to the public, but previous posts allegedly included Blue Lives Matter and pro-police statements."

That's so messed up. If anything speaks to the absurdity of American gun culture, that does :shrug:

have you ever been there..?? it was ****ed 20 years ago , i dread to think what it's like now ....wholesale insanity.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Indeed.

America is such a mess. My understanding is that a bunch of white people (the gammon element) took it on themselves to stand outside stores yesterday to protect them from looting, just like some of our gammon took it upon themselves to stand in front of statues of historical figures to protect our heritage a few weeks ago. Except the Americans were armed. And one 17 year old murdered an unarmed protester with a long range shot from a rifle. I didn't catch all the details but I gather the shooter is white and the dead man black, although I could be wrong....

And the President has repeatedly shown he's on the side of the white guys. Come what may.

We are very fortunate in this country. The toxic mix of gun culture and 'freedom of expression' in the US has made the murder of black people an unexceptional part of life, and pretty much sport for some. This clearly includes some police there. I remember reading how an 'all white jury' convicts a 'black man' with a regularity in the 1960s. How much has changed? If I were a black American I'd be perpetually wavering between depression and anger, reluctant to step away from what seems like a safe neighbourhood. And yet.....

And yet how many times did Danny Rose say he's been stopped by the police in his nice car, and have his first class train ticket checked while all the other white passengers just got the 'good morning sir' from the guard? We don't generally kill our black people in the UK, unlike the Americans, but we certainly give them some cause for consternation.

So if I were black British I'd feel a bit miffed that some white people are bored and irritated by the knee taking, think that 'enough is enough' and that its 'time to move on' or even that 'white lives matter too'.

Somewhere there is a space between abandoning all human activity as a protest against against yet another murdered black man in America, and doing nothing at all. I'm happy with what is happening in the UK right now. Americans can make their own choices. And threads ike this and conversations like this have more than a whiff of fishing about them, giving some the opportunity to express their white privileged views.....

You are no doubt an extremely smart and intelligent person. Respectfully though, you’re whitewashing the role the domino effect ethnocentrism of the British Empire played in shaping our laws and creating a baseline in how we view “others” as a society. That includes separating the Irish/Scottish/Italians and viewing them the same way you all still joke about a few of the groups even today. In part, leading to the justification of slavery and conditioning the use of violence to “civilize or destroy the savages” in our expansion west. Hell, my home state was created as a penal colony where largely northern English/Scots/Irish got to work off their debts, and then naturally became poor agrarians that is still reflected as a relatively poorer region with a “backwoods” culture generalization. In the lifespan of a country that wasn’t all that long ago.

You can forget the past all you want, but we are a product of you and our laws were shaped to make sure we never became what you were. To this day our gun laws are justified to protect our citizens from an overbearing government - as ironic as that sounds. Anthropologically speaking we are still a young country adjusting our baseline and figuring things out. Things like culture don’t just change overnight. People forget the modern continuous US is barely 100 years old. We just so happened to win a lottery of circumstances that made us essentially a very rich and powerful infant that had barely begun to look in at itself and adjust.

I look at what’s happening right now as (hopefully) a very tough but necessary step in our growth. A positive sign is black athletes have the power to fight an injustice, something they’ve never had the power to do in the past. Things in this country aren’t nearly as bad or tense as social media and the global spread of information make it out to be. I grew up and my family still lives in the county with the second highest black population in the country. What you’re imagining interactions between races to be like vs. actual reality would surprise you.

**During this pandemic my writing has turned to crap. My wife is a doctor still treating Covid patients (thankfully dwindling at her hospital) and me being one step away from her I stare at data from home all day and don’t get out much at all except for rare necessary work travel. Apologies for typos as I’m not nearly as sharp as usual.

Edit to add - my avatar of King George from Hamilton isn’t to troll. I thought it would be a funny way to try and connect me being an outsider to a team and group I really like.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You are no doubt an extremely smart and intelligent person. Respectfully though, you’re whitewashing the role the domino effect ethnocentrism of the British Empire played in shaping our laws and creating a baseline in how we view “others” as a society. That includes separating the Irish/Scottish/Italians and viewing them the same way you all still joke about a few of the groups even today. In part, leading to the justification of slavery and conditioning the use of violence to “civilize or destroy the savages” in our expansion west. Hell, my home state was created as a penal colony where largely northern English/Scots/Irish got to work off their debts, and then naturally became poor agrarians that is still reflected as a relatively poorer region with a “backwoods” culture generalization. In the lifespan of a country that wasn’t all that long ago.

You can forget the past all you want, but we are a product of you and our laws were shaped to make sure we never became what you were. To this day our gun laws are justified to protect our citizens from an overbearing government - as ironic as that sounds. Anthropologically speaking we are still a young country adjusting our baseline and figuring things out. Things like culture don’t just change overnight. People forget the modern continuous US is barely 100 years old. We just so happened to win a lottery of circumstances that made us essentially a very rich and powerful infant that had barely begun to look in at itself and adjust.

I look at what’s happening right now as (hopefully) a very tough but necessary step in our growth. A positive sign is black athletes have the power to fight an injustice, something they’ve never had the power to do in the past. Things in this country aren’t nearly as bad or tense as social media and the global spread of information make it out to be. I grew up and my family still lives in the county with the second highest black population in the country. What you’re imagining interactions between races to be like vs. actual reality would surprise you.

**During this pandemic my writing has turned to crap. My wife is a doctor still treating Covid patients (thankfully dwindling at her hospital) and me being one step away from her I stare at data from home all day and don’t get out much at all except for rare necessary work travel. Apologies for typos as I’m not nearly as sharp as usual.

Edit to add - my avatar of King George from Hamilton isn’t to troll. I thought it would be a funny way to try and connect me being an outsider to a team and group I really like.

i have to say i found New York and L.A pretty out there when i was theres a real eye opener .......i know it's in you constitution the right to bear arms is indeed to protect against an overbearing government but i really hope the shooting stops soon..:thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sorry to hear that.

Blake wasn't commiting a crime when he was shot. If he was committing a crime he still shouldn't have been shot, its for a judge and Judy to determine his punishment.

I don't believe in vigilante justice but I can understand it when the person wronged wants to take matters into their own hands. But vigilante justice carried out by the police? No, its not right in a proper society

Thanks, without going into it justice won't be served according to the Police prosecution.

We don't know what Blake was doing prior to him appearing from behind the car. We do have the witness who was filming the incident state they heard the Police shout drop the knife.

I guess if that was the case that's never going to end well.

I don't think vigilante justice is good either, but protecting yourself at the point of an incident should never be something you can't do to esnure you come out alive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
have you ever been there..?? it was ****ed 20 years ago , i dread to think what it's like now ....wholesale insanity.

America? Lots of times, yes. Wisconsin/Illinois? No and yes. I have a pal (English) who has lived in Wisconsin for 30 years (and his name insn't Yon Yonsen). I agree about the insanity, and it now spreads like wildfire via the internet, with echo chamber dwellers getting nothing but reinforcement of whatever dimbot perspective they have chosen to adopt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwCHi3KbsMQ

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Great use of selective editing.

For some reason you have decided not to state that Blake was not convicted of any of of these charges that occurred 5 years ago, and therefore the court records have been removed.

An innocent man has a history of not being convicted so the Police are free to shoot him as they would know his conviction free history.

IF this as has been reported is true then do you not think the events that unfolded could have had something to do with this?

Online court records indicate that at the time of the shooting Blake had an outstanding warrant stemming from a domestic violence incident.

Plenty of selective reporting out there.

From my understanding and happy to be corrected but a non-conviction doesn't mean you didn't do something.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

View attachment 127719

View attachment 127717

A 17 year old ( or any non security personal ) armed with an AR15 is totally wrong that's for sure . BTW if you are brave enough to watch the footage available you would notice that the " mostly peaceful protester " that is now missing a hand was also carrying a gun .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
America? Lots of times, yes. Wisconsin/Illinois? No and yes. I have a pal (English) who has lived in Wisconsin for 30 years (and his name insn't Yon Yonsen). I agree about the insanity, and it now spreads like wildfire via the internet, with echo chamber dwellers getting nothing but reinforcement of whatever dimbot perspective they have chosen to adopt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwCHi3KbsMQ

i think i have probably had a more urban experience of the place to be fair....:wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here