Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Sports Walkout

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
What would that be protesting against? Is his murder the result of deep seated institutional problems that those in power should be doing something about?

Ok then lets have a walkout for Dawn Butler , at least that would be relevant to the racial injustice epidemic in this country and perhaps our leaders would take notice .

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I mean they probably weren't aware of the fellas history at the time, but if you're making a point that it's not easy to be a cop in a country where anyone can easily access guns I agree. I don't think I'd want to be one. Though I'd set that against the fact that there is manifest racism in many police forces in the US.

I would think if he's got previous form and local they may. Not sure if this is the case in this situation.

If the car's registered in his name it would show up in a record check, outstanding warrants etc.

The worst thing you could do after you've been wrestling with officers is to march back to your car away from them with previous gun related issues and then reach into the car.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Hardly justification for shooting him several times in the back. In front of his children. Unarmed. In response to a domestic disturbance that he was trying to split up. There are plenty of examples of police in other countries not shooting their citizens even if they have reason to be nervous.

How do they know he wasn't going back to the car get a gun?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

They don't. BUT, they should be restrained and only shoot at the last minute - and it doesn't take SEVEN shots to disable someone. The UK police get some flak but one of their best qualities is the ability to handle armed situations without actually shooting the suspect. The American police could learn a thing or two from our police. In reality American police are just a bunch of armed thugs.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Why would you shoot someone if you weren't sure that they had a gun?!? The police's response is at best, in this case, a trigger happy response to a potential crime that never happened. They literally tried to kill a man based on being unsure if he had a gun. He wasn't even directly involved in the disturbance that they were called out for.

The reality is that they didn't know he was going to get a gun. For whatever, perhaps obvious, reason they presumed he was. They were wrong and they shot him several times in the back. That as a stock response from the police is terrifying.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They don't. BUT, they should be restrained and only shoot at the last minute - and it doesn't take SEVEN shots to disable someone. The UK police get some flak but one of their best qualities is the ability to handle armed situations without actually shooting the suspect. The American police could learn a thing or two from our police. In reality American police are just a bunch of armed thugs.

You can't really compare UK to US. How many UK Cops are shot and killed each year?

Your armed officers don't deal with the same situations and people daily like their Police would in some areas.

Maybe they should have been more restrained fair enough, but we weren't there nor in their shoes as it was unfolding. All we have is a video that doesn't tell or show us everything else going on.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Wonders will never cease... I agree with you, who would have thunk it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why would you shoot someone if you weren't sure that they had a gun?!? The police's response is at best, in this case, a trigger happy response to a potential crime that never happened. They literally tried to kill a man based on being unsure if he had a gun. He wasn't even directly involved in the disturbance that they were called out for.

The reality is that they didn't know he was going to get a gun. For whatever, perhaps obvious, reason they presumed he was. They were wrong and they shot him several times in the back. That as a stock response from the police is terrifying.

You would shoot if you knew their criminal history and their manner was erratic.

Neither of these things can be ascertained from the video.

Hopefully it comes out what was said, what was done before that moment occurred.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It clearly works, I remember when PC Keith Blakelock had his head hacked off by a baying mob, the whole country stood in solidarity, Spurs refused to take the field the following Saturday and Margaret Thatcher vowed to bring the killers to justice, then Bobby Ewing stepped out of the shower and it all turned out to be a dream sequence to boost the ratings.

Seriously what is happening in the US shouldn't affect this country, we have our own problems and issues to address without piggybacking on to America's nightmare.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get many forms of protest but how does it help anything? It's not the sports governing bodies that are responsible for the shootings.

Sports people standing in silence outside police stations for 24 hours would be much more moving. But that's kind of inconvenient

I have no idea how/why it equates to sport here, but in America they probably see it as a necessary payback for Colin Kaperick (sp)

Colin was the high profile NFL player who took to his knee during the national anthem.
This peaceful BLM protest was jumped upon by you know who, who politicised it and changed the narrative to 'anti America'.

Naturally screaming against that worked well within his voter base.

But having the President on their side gave the white owners and white NFL executive the power to stamp out the protest.
As well as stopping other sports joining in.

Scroll forward 4 years and the NFL are now saying they were wrong.
Players across all sports are 'allowed' to protest.

They now have the power and probably a little guilt for allowing the powers that be get away with it last time.

That's not going to happen now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hardly justification for shooting him several times in the back. In front of his children. Unarmed. In response to a domestic disturbance that he was trying to split up. There are plenty of examples of police in other countries not shooting their citizens even if they have reason to be nervous.

I put biggums on ignore some years ago after he backed the idea that to make countries like Australia and the UK safer, all good citizens should be armed, and that the absurd gun related death rate in the US would be lower if more of their good citizens were armed. I have no time for dick heads :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Danger isn’t a word I’d use, but if sportspeople feel its an appropriate action I’d support it.

This. Many of us who enjoy white privilege will simply never get what BLM is all about, hence the tired irritable whaboutery from the usual suspects on this thread (some of whom are decen't people who simply appear to lack imagination or empathy). I say that as someone who, as a 15 year old, considered the best solution to racism was to 'repatriate' all black people (whatever that means). And I was at a Grammar school so not obviously thick (but had never spoken to a black person - fancy that) :mad:

Regarding the OP's question (which, sorry Crodo, has a whiff of fishing about it), solutions for contexts. In America I can see this may have traction. Here I suspect it will be counter productive. Taking the knee is good though. It feels right.

Regarding people who actually think that some people take the knee for fear of ostracism, maybe that's the case. Likewise racists very regularly zip it rather than come out with their racist views, for fear of ostracism. I do raise an eyebrow about the fact some people feel footballers must be 'put upon' because they all take the knee. I can only assume this is because they are racists. :shrug: It will be interesting to see if a footballer bucks the trend anytime soon and doesn't take the knee. My guess is it will be a white one :shrug:

Has anyone mentioned 'white lives matter' yet? :facepalm: What about 'enough is enough'? ???

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have no idea how/why it equates to sport here, but in America they probably see it as a necessary payback for Colin Kaperick (sp)

Colin was the high profile NFL player who took to his knee during the national anthem.
This peaceful BLM protest was jumped upon by you know who, who politicised it and changed the narrative to 'anti America'.

Naturally screaming against that worked well within his voter base.

But having the President on their side gave the white owners and white NFL executive the power to stamp out the protest.
As well as stopping other sports joining in.

Scroll forward 4 years and the NFL are now saying they were wrong.
Players across all sports are 'allowed' to protest.

They now have the power and probably a little guilt for allowing the powers that be get away with it last time.

That's not going to happen now.

I think I understand that.

I'm not suggesting they don't, nor shouldn't protest, but I don't see the nature of the protest as being particularly plausible or sincere. It's not as if they are protesting against the NFL, NBA or any other body.

If they did something meaningful, with some obvious personal sacrifice, that would be the sort of protest that might resonate a bit more (with me anyway)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I put biggums on ignore some years ago after he backed the idea that to make countries like Australia and the UK safer, all good citizens should be armed, and that the absurd gun related death rate in the US would be lower if more of their good citizens were armed. I have no time for dick heads :shrug:

It's all a bit devil's advocate for the fun of it - regardless of what you are actually arguing. I shouldn't get annoyed but the idea that police murdering their own citizens is justifiable in any case is just maddening.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here