Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Sports Walkout

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Major walkout of US sports following shooting of a black man in Wisconsin, seems to be gathering pace across the States. Now on twitter seems to be plenty who think UK sports should also walk out in solidarity and momentum gaining for such a move. Could it potentially put early PL games in danger??

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/53926764

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Danger isn’t a word I’d use, but if sportspeople feel its an appropriate action I’d support it.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Whilst not wanting to belittle the problems we have in the UK, I'm not sure that it's quite the same as those seen in the US. I think the taking of the knee is a more powerful and appropriate action in the UK.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
As long as it doesn’t lead to police horses getting shot up the arse with flare guns, as long as war memorials don’t get desecrated again.
I’m all for the withdrawal of ones labour.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I get many forms of protest but how does it help anything? It's not the sports governing bodies that are responsible for the shootings.

Sports people standing in silence outside police stations for 24 hours would be much more moving. But that's kind of inconvenient

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
At the danger of being branded a racist gammon - I’m not a fan of Walk outs

I personally think sports and politics on the field should be kept apart (off the field do what you want) - these are millionaires walking off the courts/refusing to play will have a knock on to those further down the food chain as well.

In the U.K. we are now in the position if you don’t take the knee before a game you are branded a racist!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I want the players to make a stand in support of extinction rebellion this weekend, in line with London events. Can it wait until perhaps the week after? Or is that something else?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I want the players to make a stand in support of extinction rebellion this weekend, in line with London events. Can it wait until perhaps the week after? Or is that something else?
The way that most extinction rebellion supporters go on they'd probably argue that we won't be here the week after.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Up to them. The consequence will be different people with causes that are important to them calling for walkouts every other week. If they are happy with that outcome then there isn’t much we can do. Personally I would just go and watch some non league football if the players refused to play in a Brighton match I had a ticket for ( not the early PL games obviously).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's mostly being lead by Lebron James the hypocrite.

When Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets called out China for it's human rights issues involving Hong Kong LeBum was quick to call Morey out for speaking up for other people's rights because it would impact the players getting that Chinese money.

Morey got zero support and was thrown under the bus and told to shut up.

Now James wants everyone to support his actions.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is who they are protesting for. No wonder the Cops got nervous when he went back to his car with a history like his.

EgKgtcEU8AAAyck.png

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is who they are protesting for. No wonder the Cops got nervous when he went back to his car with a history like his.

View attachment 127714

I mean they probably weren't aware of the fellas history at the time, but if you're making a point that it's not easy to be a cop in a country where anyone can easily access guns I agree. I don't think I'd want to be one. Though I'd set that against the fact that there is manifest racism in many police forces in the US.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In terms of the sporting walkout, I'd say that if these instances were very prevalent in the UK I would support a walkout.

I wouldn't support a walkout to try and improve the situation in another country because they would be oblivious to it so it would be a waste of time

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

View attachment 127714

Hardly justification for shooting him several times in the back. In front of his children. Unarmed. In response to a domestic disturbance that he was trying to split up. There are plenty of examples of police in other countries not shooting their citizens even if they have reason to be nervous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here