Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lib Dem leadership contest.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Don't know. Don't care. Didn't know there was one.

A political party so far removed from its potential supporters by ridiculous policies and mind numbing dumb candidates.

Vince Cable being the only LD I could listen to.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The conspiracy theorists will probably go into overdrive but I do wonder sometimes if someone, somewhere in this country, saw that the Lib Dem’s were breaking the two party system, giving voters a real choice away from the Tory’s and Labour.
Hence Clegg leading them into the coalition which effectively destroyed them as an emerging political force.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't believe this is still going on. Swinson lost in December. Does it really take nine months to organise an election? Particularly with such a small party

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I can't believe this is still going on. Swinson lost in December. Does it really take nine months to organise an election? Particularly with such a small party

It was organised, then postponed , then re-organised because of the pandemic.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Maybe that's the problem? Such a small party these days they had difficulty finding anybody to run the thing.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not bothered. As long as they are muppeting around, like they are, they’re irrelevant

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
quite mind blowing how they got things so wrong in the last election given who the leaders of the two main parties were

I've never voted for them but I really hope they sort things out as the country needs a decent centrist alternative

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The 3 candidates we had in the 2015 election were by far the best candidates in recent political history. David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Milliband would all have done a significantly better job of leading than any of those we have endured since 2016 when Brexit was declared. Either all of our effective politicians have left politics or they have decided to remain in the background whilst this unfolds, the 3 candidates for the 2017 & the 2019 elections for the 3 main parties have looked useless and out of their depth. The Lib Dems should be building a huge gathering of support during a time of poor leadership from the blues and weak opposition from the reds

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
quite mind blowing how they got things so wrong in the last election given who the leaders of the two main parties were

I've never voted for them but I really hope they sort things out as the country needs a decent centrist alternative

Their downfall imho is due broadly to:

1. Polarised politics in the UK (this has happened elsewhere too), shutting them out.

2. Some huge own goals. Not least anointing Farron and Swinson as leaders. For better or worse some charisma is required, gravitas to be remembered by voters, a unique selling point. They had none.

In addition they could’ve far cuter at the Dec’19 poll, making it clear throughout that they were the only Remain party. Attacking Labour and Tory across the South. Did they achieve that?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The 3 candidates we had in the 2015 election were by far the best candidates in recent political history. David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Milliband would all have done a significantly better job of leading than any of those we have endured since 2016 when Brexit was declared. Either all of our effective politicians have left politics or they have decided to remain in the background whilst this unfolds, the 3 candidates for the 2017 & the 2019 elections for the 3 main parties have looked useless and out of their depth. The Lib Dems should be building a huge gathering of support during a time of poor leadership from the blues and weak opposition from the reds

So why aren't they? Have they effectively been derailed by dark forces?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The dark forces of first past the post and the fact that they don't have a big enough pool MP's from which it's reasonably likely that you'd be able to find someone Prime Ministerial

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Their downfall imho is due broadly to:

1. Polarised politics in the UK (this has happened elsewhere too), shutting them out.

2. Some huge own goals. Not least anointing Farron and Swinson as leaders. For better or worse some charisma is required, gravitas to be remembered by voters, a unique selling point. They had none.

In addition they could’ve far cuter at the Dec’19 poll, making it clear throughout that they were the only Remain party. Attacking Labour and Tory across the South. Did they achieve that?

I call their downfall KARMA ..... and karma's a bitch :lolol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

One of the biggest factors is the appearance of assurance and having the capabilities to be able to lead and make sound decisions. That has to come across despite how the media portray them. Starmer looks to be the best appointment for a number of years and I expect him to win an election over Johnson

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

All had faults, but they were intelligent, thoughtful and serious politicians. It seems like another age

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Swinson blew it massively. Much as I, and many others they should be courting, believe that the whole Brexit debacle showed that it was likely a very bad decision, the decision to run on a policy of overturning a democratic vote rather than run on the ticket of a second referendum was party suicide. Most people who want to remain aren't stupid enough to think you can get away with doing so by just ignoring the past will of the nation. The obviously tried to go for the remain vote without understanding the people they were targeting.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The only point I'd make about the Lib Dem leader is that if their best leader is from outside the Commons they shouldn't be afraid to pick them. I don't think that them looking around at the 10ish they have in the house and picking the least worst is necessarily the best way to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here