Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Contactless minimum spend and the Law.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What is the law on this,used a loo in Grange over Sands 30p and C/less payment. However is the minimum sign spend when you a small outfit (£5) legal ?

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Don't believe its in law. However, nothing stopping companies from only accepting between £5 and £45 as their limits. the minimum charge for using a card (that the retailer has to pay) was 17p per transaction, depending on the issuing card type and can be upto a £1 as a min, which i believe is Amex.

Unless the law has changed in the last few years then i can see why some smaller outfits do put a limit on things.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Generally, the merchant agreement bans minimum transactions limits but its a massive faff to complain to the merchant provider if you can even find out who it is; and really nothing is going to happen - the merchant provider makes their money from the shop not from the punter when it comes down to it.

Interchange fees were slashed hugely for conventional cards under PSD2, which still applies to the UK for a few months, so I don't think anyone is paying 17p a transaction anymore.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
From what my daughter tells me, during Covid there is no minimum and the maximum has been raised on most cards. She works for Santander. So technically you could buy a box of matches as the only transaction.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
minimum spend is just the shop's choice, like not accepting £50 notes, cheques, or no cards at all.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
17p per transaction is not exactly true.
I pay every month £25 to the merchant company. July my other charges were £75 service charges and £50 fees. That's £150 for 1215 transactions. Or an average of 12p per transaction.
But I use the machine a lot so hassle for low rates. A small corner shop may be paying a lot more. So when you tap for an item costing 70p with a 25% profit margin you can see why the shopkeeper may be a bit miffed.
I have a minimum £5 but with average sales, including cash sales, of £7 most customers are over that anyway.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Don't believe its in law. However, nothing stopping companies from only accepting between £5 and £45 as their limits. the minimum charge for using a card (that the retailer has to pay) was 17p per transaction, depending on the issuing card type and can be upto a £1 as a min, which i believe is Amex.

Unless the law has changed in the last few years then i can see why some smaller outfits do put a limit on things.
We run worldpay contactless at the cricket club,.... 2.5% plus 4p per transaction.... this is fairly standard and applies to all card types.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If there was a minimum in law all of the new car park payment machines would probably be breaking it.........80p first hour in most Burgess Hill car parks for example, paid by contactless.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Back after a ban with a cracking new thread :bowdown:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
17p per transaction is not exactly true.
I pay every month £25 to the merchant company. July my other charges were £75 service charges and £50 fees. That's £150 for 1215 transactions. Or an average of 12p per transaction.
But I use the machine a lot so hassle for low rates. A small corner shop may be paying a lot more. So when you tap for an item costing 70p with a 25% profit margin you can see why the shopkeeper may be a bit miffed.
I have a minimum £5 but with average sales, including cash sales, of £7 most customers are over that anyway.
I use izettle no monthly fees and 1.75% fee. All my transactions are over £75 so it’s not relevant. All the small shops around us let you pay with card for any amount since covid which is a help.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My local greengrocers didn't have contactless at all till the last few years (when I moved here, they added things up on a sheet of cardboard on the counter). They do now, and since lockdown eased have re-imposed a minimum of £4. I asked them about this, and Mrs Greengrocer said it takes her ages to marry up all the till documents and machine transactions every night, so she'd rather have cash. Hence a minimum to try and limit the number she has to deal with each evening.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Generally, the merchant agreement bans minimum transactions limits but its a massive faff to complain to the merchant provider if you can even find out who it is; and really nothing is going to happen - the merchant provider makes their money from the shop not from the punter when it comes down to it.

Interchange fees were slashed hugely for conventional cards under PSD2, which still applies to the UK for a few months, so I don't think anyone is paying 17p a transaction anymore.

But all bets off on 1st Jan 2021 when PSD2 ceases to apply as we currently stand, isn't it ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here