Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Midfield Options

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Just looking at our squad..

Mooy, Bissouma, Azate, Molumby, Stephens, Propper, Gross, Lallana, Mac Allister

Plus Trossard who can play central attacking, Baluta and White have played central defensive..

I know we have a lot of centre backs but we also have a lot of central midfield options..

Reckon any will be sold or sent out on loan? Presumably if we're going to be signing anybody we need to thin the squad out a bit..

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
IF we got a bid I could see us selling Stephens.

Only because he is out of contract at the end of the season and then could move for nothing.

Not saying I want him gone or that we should move him on.... but with those factors it could be one that happens

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think one of Pröpper, Groß, Mooy and Stephens will be out the door - no idea which one though. My guess would be Pröpper as there are rumours of interest in him but it could be one of the others

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
If we lose any of those I can only see it being Mooy and Gross?

Gross maybe but Potter seems to like him. Can't see Aaron Mooy going he's versatile, can play numerous positions and on his day one of our best players.

I think it'll be one of Stephens or Propper with Molumby going back out on loan for game time.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

Only because he is out of contract at the end of the season and then could move for nothing.

Not saying I want him gone or that we should move him on.... but with those factors it could be one that happens

Makes the most sense to be fair. Where do you find out where players are out of contract?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A normal summer I think one or two of the established ones would have been out with Molumby coming in, but with the market being what it is I think its more likely all of these will stay and Molumby gets loaned out one more year as 46 games in the Championship probably is more worth than the occasional PL game.

Could be wrong though, a lot probably depends on what Ajax will do with their midfield, as Pröpper is likely the only one worth substantial money and Ajax being one of very few clubs that actually have a wallet to play around with - I think they are sitting on like £100m that they really dont know what to do with.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can't saee us selling Gross until we get someone else who can hit a dead ball accurately.

Propper is our most consistenet and reliable midfielder surely ? Most of his criticism comes from failures caused by others failings.

Mooy is versatile.

Stephens out makes some sense IF he wants to go. . . . the others are all still PL works in progress.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Stephens for me.

Moments of class but out of contract and could be exceptional top half championship.

Maybe Leeds?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think he is maybe the least likely to go from the ones that "could" realistically leave. Underrated player and probably close to zero value in the corona market. Think he is going to stick around for his last year and then get replaced by Molumby next year.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Gross maybe but Potter seems to like him. Can't see Aaron Mooy going he's versatile, can play numerous positions and on his day one of our best players.

I think it'll be one of Stephens or Propper with Molumby going back out on loan for game time.

Interesting how we all see things? I see Lallana as a Gross replacement, Molumby being a player to put the pressure on Stephens for a place, Seriously can't see where Mooy will fit in with Trossard, Alzate and McAlister in the squad?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think he is maybe the least likely to go from the ones that "could" realistically leave. Underrated player and probably close to zero value in the corona market. Think he is going to stick around for his last year and then get replaced by Molumby next year.

Doesn’t suit Potter’s style ...... been a great player for us but I feel his game time this season will be greatly reduced if we go to 3 at the back.

Hence if we get an offer I could see us moving him on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We’ve only just signed Mooy and he was incredible for several games - I don’t get why anyone thinks he’ll go anywhere - give him
Some more time ffs!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just looking at our squad..

Mooy, Bissouma, Azate, Molumby, Stephens, Propper, Gross, Lallana, Mac Allister

Plus Trossard who can play central attacking, Baluta and White have played central defensive..

I know we have a lot of centre backs but we also have a lot of central midfield options..

Reckon any will be sold or sent out on loan? Presumably if we're going to be signing anybody we need to thin the squad out a bit..
Forget putting Baluta and White in midfield, but that still leaves ten (with Trossard). That's too many.
I think Molumby might end the season much higher up the pecking order than many think. The evolution that Potter will want, I guess, is the phasing out of our older and/or slower midfielders so that's two or three out of Gross, Mooy, Propper and Stephens. Of course, as this isn't Football Manager, who actually goes depends on who other clubs want to buy, but I think we could get offers for any of those four.
I'm starting to look forward to next season though!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We’ve only just signed Mooy and he was incredible for several games - I don’t get why anyone thinks he’ll go anywhere - give him
Some more time ffs!

Agree he will most likely stay. He is a player that needs pace & running around him, his dip in form came at the same time Alzate got injured and from that point he really only had Trossard & Maupay (and later Lamptey) to play around with. And Burn ofc... but as much as I like Burn he is not exactly threatening going forward.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think one of Pröpper, Groß, Mooy and Stephens will be out the door - no idea which one though. My guess would be Pröpper as there are rumours of interest in him but it could be one of the others

Pröpper,* Groß* and Stephens agreed. Mooy, can't see it happening, as he only signed six months ago, and is on a longer deal. Of the other three, it's just a question of how much game time they want next season, as I reckon even Pröpper will struggle to see more than half the 38x90 PL minutes, while the other two will get substantially less.

*I cut-and-pasted as I can't find the accents on my out-of-date Word package

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Interesting how we all see things? I see Lallana as a Gross replacement, Molumby being a player to put the pressure on Stephens for a place, Seriously can't see where Mooy will fit in with Trossard, Alzate and McAlister in the squad?

I think Mooy is completely different to all the other options though.. Plus other than Gross he seems to be the only one who can whip a ball in with accuracy. Trossard usually plays out wide, Azate seems to play all over the pitch and MacAllister is still an unknown. Mooy is one of the only players we have that can pull strings. But you're right it's difficult to see how all the pieces to the puzzle fit.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Can't saee us selling Gross until we get someone else who can hit a dead ball accurately.

Propper is our most consistenet and reliable midfielder surely ? Most of his criticism comes from failures caused by others failings.

Mooy is versatile.

Stephens out makes some sense IF he wants to go. . . . the others are all still PL works in progress.

Genuinely weird for me that you say Popper is our most consistent. Shows its a game of opinions! I see him as the most inconsistent. Good on his day, but anonymous too often, too lightweight and a good many stray passes that were capitalised on by opposition. His failings not others.

I actually think Stephens is more valuable to the squad than Propper, but accept others see the opposite.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Forget putting Baluta and White in midfield, but that still leaves ten (with Trossard). That's too many.
I think Molumby might end the season much higher up the pecking order than many think. The evolution that Potter will want, I guess, is the phasing out of our older and/or slower midfielders so that's two or three out of Gross, Mooy, Propper and Stephens. Of course, as this isn't Football Manager, who actually goes depends on who other clubs want to buy, but I think we could get offers for any of those four.
I'm starting to look forward to next season though!

Can't see Baluta playing for our first team tbh, a bit like Mlaker a couple of good youngsters that won't make the grade in this country and will be sold on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here