Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Midfield Options

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No sure, I was replying to our Dutch correspondent, but that’s interesting to know about Ajax and Suarez if you mean the one I think you do. Are Barcelona going to let him go? He was at Ajax before Liverpool, wasn’t he?

Yes, Barca are letting him go and he played in Ajax for four years before going to Liverpool. Normally too big of a signing for them, but he's spoken keenly about one day returning and they have buckets of money that they dont know how to spend, so they could probably offer him a decent wage.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Re Stephens - It's always better to offload a year early than a year to late.

I'm fairly sure anyone saying he needs to stay now, will, in 12 months time be saying why did he stay, 'he should have left a year ago'.

He's been in the Duffyzone since the turn of the year, even more so since lockdown.
It'll be a shame to see both go, but we just ain't that team any more.

Some of us were saying this a while ago.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gross leave which might surprise alot of people as his stats are very good. However the game we play now is not suited to his style, we need players to be more dynamic and able to transistion at speed. Same could go for Stephens.

Hopefully Molumby is showing enough to be in with a shout of playing, he might be why we didn't pursue Maitland Niles as he is great at the pressing game, has pace, can tackle and would be a great foil with Bissouma.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Ali, have you heard any news over Ali J? There was a report that we offered him to AZ Alkmaar, but that they weren’t interested. Has there been any interest from Ajax?

AZ won't be able to afford him, so a transfer is out of the question. A loan may happen, with a transfer occurring if they make it into the group stages of the Champions League this season, but I still doubt it.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gross leave which might surprise alot of people as his stats are very good. However the game we play now is not suited to his style, we need players to be more dynamic and able to transistion at speed. Same could go for Stephens.

The Grob who's scored 1/3 of the team's goals so far this season? Madness.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Hopefully Molumby is showing enough to be in with a shout of playing, he might be why we didn't pursue Maitland Niles as he is great at the pressing game, has pace, can tackle and would be a great foil with Bissouma.

Actually despite his lack of pace our game is very much suited to his style... one of our best midfielders in regards to pressing the ball and has good passing ability.

His biggest problem is trying to fit into what could possibly be 3 midfield spots with Biss, Propper, Lallana, Mac, Alzate, Stephens and maybe Molumby.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I feel that Potter will fall on the side of 'progress' & 'development' rather than 'experience' & 'rigidity'. I imagine there are 9 or 10 players who fall into a bracket of 'available for transfer if we get a suitable offer' just like Montoya, a good addition to have around the squad but not vital for us to move forward

As mentioned we have a large group of players who could be available if a bid comes in for him. I didn't expect Mooy to be one to leave but there are a few others who might leave

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
After Mooy leaving and today’s friendly, I’ve modified my midfielder requirements thoughts.

I think Molumby and Groß are in now.

Deep-Lying - 4 Players needed.

Bissouma
Alzate
Molumby

And 1 from:

Stephens (Replacement for Hendrick at Burnley. £8m?)
Pröpper (Ajax 2-4-1 PX?)
Sanders (Loan)
Băluță (Loan)

Forward-Thinking - 6 Players needed.

Lallana
Mac Allister
Troßard
Groß

And 2 from:

Jahanbakhsh (Ajax PX 2-4-1 deal?)
Izquierdo (Released injured or 1st team?)
March (Sale - Newcastle/West Brom?)
New Super Quick Flair Signing (Neres from Ajax as part of a 2-4-1 PX deal)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
After Mooy leaving and today’s friendly, I’ve modified my midfielder requirements thoughts.

I think Molumby and Groß are in now.

Deep-Lying - 4 Players needed.

Bissouma
Alzate
Molumby

And 1 from:

Stephens (Replacement for Hendrick at Burnley. £8m?)
Pröpper (Ajax 2-4-1 PX?)
Sanders (Loan)
Băluță (Loan)

Forward-Thinking - 6 Players needed.

Lallana
Mac Allister
Troßard
Groß

And 2 from:

Jahanbakhsh (Ajax PX 2-4-1 deal?)
Izquierdo (Released injured or 1st team?)
March (Sale - Newcastle/West Brom?)
New Super Quick Flair Signing (Neres from Ajax as part of a 2-4-1 PX deal)

Oh, no question Molumby is in, would have been a shock if he wasn’t tbh. But his performance today certainly puts to bed any doubts on him. Very tidy, accomplished, battling CM.

Max Sanders is an interesting one. Who also got a chance today, and GP if I remember right, picked him in pre season last year. So obviously sees something in him. Possible breakthrough or otherwise a Championship loan.

Propper. Given how this topic normally goes I will say “no comment”.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
After seeing some performances in the friendly I'm even more certain that, except Bissouma, if offers come in for some of our more experienced midfielders then we will see them move on. Lots of decent replacements are ready to step in

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
After seeing some performances in the friendly I'm even more certain that, except Bissouma, if offers come in for some of our more experienced midfielders then we will see them move on. Lots of decent replacements are ready to step in

For me, it was Groß or Mooy although I had thought that we’d be more ‘first in, first out’ on that. I probably prefer Groß to be honest as his strengths are slightly different to Mooy and probably more valuable to us with the other players we now have.

However, with Alzate & Molumby looking so good (Biss is clearly number 1 now), I think we need to trim down the midfield. It’s Stephens or Pröpper for me and I’m inclined to prefer the former because I think that Alzate will be a better player than Pröpper (long term) and is sort of the same style. Whilst Molumby is Stephens natural successor, he’ll need a season (like Alzate) to bed down. £10m+ from the Van Beek warchest from Ajax would make a good PX fund for their left back or Brazilian winger or would be useful if we’re buying elsewhere for our LWB or new Striker.

March was as good as he was this time last year at LWB yesterday. Not sure that he is the solution there.

Lastly, it would be nice to know if Izquierdo is injured, unfit or just unfancied.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's unreal that we have 4 young talents in midfield getting international call ups, and that the young player in midfield I am least excited about, is an Argentina International.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
For me, it was Groß or Mooy although I had thought that we’d be more ‘first in, first out’ on that. I probably prefer Groß to be honest as his strengths are slightly different to Mooy and probably more valuable to us with the other players we now have.

However, with Alzate & Molumby looking so good (Biss is clearly number 1 now), I think we need to trim down the midfield. It’s Stephens or Pröpper for me and I’m inclined to prefer the former because I think that Alzate will be a better player than Pröpper (long term) and is sort of the same style. Whilst Molumby is Stephens natural successor, he’ll need a season (like Alzate) to bed down. £10m+ from the Van Beek warchest from Ajax would make a good PX fund for their left back or Brazilian winger or would be useful if we’re buying elsewhere for our LWB or new Striker.

March was as good as he was this time last year at LWB yesterday. Not sure that he is the solution there.

Lastly, it would be nice to know if Izquierdo is injured, unfit or just unfancied.

I think you could be right, 5 or 6 are certain to stay and are essential to Potters revolution whilst the others will just make up the numbers and who that personel is will not define our season. I wouldn't be suprised to see anothe like Mooy, 20+ Appearances last season, leave knowing that our youngsters can offer something special

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

If the Prem returns to 5 subs from 9 per match on Thursday as up for discussion, there's no way Stephens or Propper are going anywhere.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's unreal that we have 4 young talents in midfield getting international call ups, and that the young player in midfield I am least excited about, is an Argentina International.

I disagree on that. It was clear from last season's games that El Jocko was a serious talent and it was just a question whether he could marry that technique to the physicality and pace of English football.

If he can do that, we're going to have a hell of a player on our hands.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Surely this can't come as a surprise to you? You are constantly concerned about our lack of something. You must have expected to be worried about our midfield options at some point?

Surely it can come as a surprise as nobody knew Mooy was off to China or Stephens was off to Burnley or that Bissouma would get sent off second game in. I am not constantly concerned about something, just pointing out a fact we've gone from a lot of options to not so many in dm read the post if you don't understand that. Furthermore, I'm not worried, actually excited to see what we do to negotiate the problem.

Thanks for your assumptions though, great input :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gone from this to being concerned about a lack of options for the next game..

Who can play CM now? Biss (suspended), Molumby (very inexperienced / going on loan), Alzate, Propper... is that it? I don’t count Gross / Lallana / Mac really as they’re more attacking kinds - I mean central box to box midfielders. With Mooy and Stephens gone we may be a bit light.. Altho I may have missed someone obvious out...!?

Out of the 3 I said in wouldn’t count, is Mac the best alternative to playing in the midfield / deeper midfield position...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here