Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke returns to Derby for another season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
CLARKE MAKES DERBY RETURN

Defender returns to Derby for second season-long loan move.

Matt Clarke has re-joined Sky Bet Championship side Derby County on loan for the upcoming 2020/21 campaign.

The 23-year-old completed a successful season-long loan with the Rams in July, capping an excellent campaign by winning the Player of the Season award at Pride Park.

The former Portsmouth and Ipswich Town defender joined Albion last summer, and will spend the forthcoming season with Phillip Cocu’s side.

Technical director Dan Ashworth said, “Matt was a standout player in the Championship last season and this led to us receiving interest from several clubs for the new campaign.

“We will keep a close eye as Matt looks to build on the excellent progress he made at Derby last season and we wish him well.”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Logical. Hope he continues to progress.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I wish him well but wonder how he feels about things. Did we tell him when we signed him from Pompey that he wouldn't be playing in a Brighton shirt for a season? And now two seasons?

I'm sure these things must be handled professionally but at a basic human level, it must make you feel a bit unsettled and even unwanted.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The fact he has gone back to Derby I wonder if there is a buy clause in there possibly. If it was really about development surely a change of scenery would have been better

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given he cost us £3.5m, looking at what top Championship centre-backs go for and considering his age, we should be sitting on a decent paper profit on Clarke already.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wish him well but wonder how he feels about things. Did we tell him when we signed him from Pompey that he wouldn't be playing in a Brighton shirt for a season? And now two seasons?

I'm sure these things must be handled professionally but at a basic human level, it must make you feel a bit unsettled and even unwanted.

True, but with an England one-cap-wonder, a Dutch international, a future England captain and someone who played for Leeds, competition is crazily and ridiculously fierce back there in the middle.

Fast forward a year and another good season at Derby, coupled with us ruing the fact we didn’t take Leeds’ 30m, pondering yet again the standard of the Eredivisie and accepting the idea Dunk’s cap is all we will get out of England.....it will be viewed as a very smart move.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Couple of questions .. one I should know

1) In theory if we needed to recall for any reason in Jan, could we?
2) Will he be in his last year when he comes back to us?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Looking forward to him being a large reason why they get promoted then being told we have to sell to them and we're keeping him hostage.. Actually no because I think Derby fans are considerably more clued up than Leeds fans about how the loan market works. I hope he smashes it for them again and comes back an even better player.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Couple of questions .. one I should know

1) In theory if we needed to recall for any reason in Jan, could we?
2) Will he be in his last year when he comes back to us?
Signed a four-year deal with us, so would have 2 years left.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
True, but with an England one-cap-wonder, a Dutch international, a future England captain and someone who played for Leeds, competition is crazily and ridiculously fierce back there in the middle.

Fast forward a year and another good season at Derby, coupled with us ruing the fact we didn’t take Leeds’ 30m, pondering yet again the standard of the Eredivisie and accepting the idea Dunk’s cap is all we will get out of England.....it will be viewed as a very smart move.

Why are you emphasising the fact Dunk only has one cap? We all know he should have many more but unfortunately Southgate hasn't got a clue. If Dunk doesn't get another cap it's not because he's bad it's because the current England manager is a moron. Good luck to Clarke whatever happens

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't have thought so. We have a clear development plan for him, something he didn't have at Pompey.
Have we though? It looks a bit like a holding arrangement to me, pending making a decision next summer.

He seems to enjoy developing at a decent Championship side, and hopefully he's looking forward to making the step up to the Premier League with us.
Hopefully yes, but a lot has happened since he signed. The Championship CB we bought in the same window has established himself as a first choice, young Ben White, who was playing at the same level as Clarke last season, has had a stellar season at Leeds - and on top of all that, us buying another CB - a full Dutch international with 20 caps - must have felt like a kick in the teeth for the lad.
Good luck Matt Clarke - have a great season at Derby, and one way or another, get yourself to the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here