Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tour de France 2020

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's every chance Peter K nailed the performance, on the ITV podcast, when he said words to the effect of:-

'its amazing how good you can become if you become professional.
6 hour recovery pace rides, are pretty meaningless compared to interval sprints up a mountain'.

As is customary, Team Sky have created a beast but those that follow might just be even more successful at taming it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any cyclistes out there know if anybody has ever made a proper race out of the 'largely processional stage' on the last Sunday in Paris? Or is it considered an absolute sporting no-no?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Pogacer climbed the Col de Peyresourde in 24 minutes and 35 seconds.

The previous record (set in 2003) was 25:22 held jointly by Alexandre Vinokourov and Iban Mayo who were both banned for doping in their careers.

In the same race in 2003 Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich only ascended the climb in 26:15.

So Pogacar has is between 3%-6% better on this climb that known drugs cheats.

He is also an immature cyclist in cycling terms. He may or may not be racing clean.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Pogacer climbed the Col de Peyresourde in 24 minutes and 35 seconds.

The previous record (set in 2003) was 25:22 held jointly by Alexandre Vinokourov and Iban Mayo who were both banned for doping in their careers.

In the same race in 2003 Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich only ascended the climb in 26:15.

So Pogacar has is between 3%-6% better on this climb that known drugs cheats.

He is also an immature cyclist in cycling terms. He may or may not be racing clean.

Well Uran would also have set or equalled the.
record, and presumably everyone else, as they were 45 seconds slower and Pogačar broke the 'record' by 45 seconds.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/feature...rd-breaking-ascent-of-the-col-de-peyresourde/

According to this he rode at 429 W for 25 mins, which whilst very impressive, is not necessarily out of this world.

As say, "he may or may not be racing clean", which whilst insightful also applies to every cyclist ever.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've heard the word "unbelievable" said by most commentators regarding the days race.
Even watching it live I'm thinking only one thing.
Can we have a sample please sir.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Team managers would have to be a bit dim if boy wasn't sent out squeaky clean within a whisper of winning tho eh

Roglic was 1.06 or 1/16 in old money to win the Tour before yesterdays stage so Pogacar was hardly 'within a whisper' of winning...

Hope it was clean but reminded me of when Floyd Landis flew up a mountain and that didn't end well

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame all the other sports riddled with drugs cheats (all of them) don't get the same scrutiny, but that's on cycling and the blind eye they turned.

First and foremost the climb only came to Le Tour in 2012 (?)
The bikes used for the previous PB's would have been the equivalent of driving a Ford Fiesta 1.4, compared to a Focus STvPXLi (don't know me cars).
Pogcar trained 10's upon 10's of times up the climb.
As said earlier Jumbo have looked at Team Sky and thought 'we'll have some of that', creating a GT winning team with a 'marginal gains' attention to detail.

Sure they could have stepped over the line, but there's enough about them, the current peloton and the testing regime to be able to enjoy the spectacle. Of

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Roglic was 1.06 or 1/16 in old money to win the Tour before yesterdays stage so Pogacar was hardly 'within a whisper' of winning...

Hope it was clean but reminded me of when Floyd Landis flew up a mountain and that didn't end well

Pogačar was only ~30s quicker up the mountain than Porte.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pogačar was only ~30s quicker up the mountain than Porte.

As said cycling only has itself to blame but it doesn't stop it being annoying that X can happen and the world and his wife suddenly appears saying "drugs".

While all manner of other sportsman aren't held.up to critical analysis and are happy to parade around with their medals. :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any cyclistes out there know if anybody has ever made a proper race out of the 'largely processional stage' on the last Sunday in Paris? Or is it considered an absolute sporting no-no?

Not in the modern era.

Before Le Tour was The Tour it just finished elsewhere out of town (for some reason I have the velodrome at Roubaix in mind - but I'll not bet on that)

It moved to the Champs in the 80's where LeMond memorably won by 8 seconds winning the Champs TT over Fignon

A result largely put down to technology over old thinking.

But since then the Champs has been the unofficial Sprinters World Cup.
Very much the trophy they all.want to win.
It's their 'present' for getting over the mountains.

I suggest you YouTube Cav's win for Columbia (I think)
Renshaw took the final corner so fast and so close to the barrier, by the time Cav popped out from his slipstream the pair of them were in a different postcode to the rest of the sprinters.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

My Mother in Law would go and watch the finishes when she was in Paris at the Veledrome Parc des Princes.

The time trial final day endings in the 80's were also better.

We have seen about 25 editions of the TDF live, all across France, but never gone to Paris as it is just a procession now. Often done the TT the day before Paris which are far better.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 16.20.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 16.20.52.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 104

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't realise Dave Miller's feature documentary Time Trial is on BBC iPlayer.
Music by Dan Deacon which is nice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is so horrible, how is that possible, I really hope that is fixable and its not as damning as it looks.

I think that as she slides over the barrier, she’s incredibly unfortunate that she catches an upright on the back of it. They’re normally just cut steel sections without thinking what might happen if a cyclists were to be thrown over the back of a barrier. Imagine it’s that that’s caused the laceration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here