Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tour de France 2020

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The TdF is.a real sporting highlight for me but like almost everything else this crazy year, it's shaping up to be a little bit different.

The absence of Froome and Thomas is going to make things a little bit strange, but beyond that the shadow of Covid-19 looms with infections in France spiking again, and there has to be a real possibility of teams having to withdraw due to the "two positive test" rule that is in place, although false positives seem to be causing concerns around that.

Roglic seems to be the betting favourite for the yellow jersey, just ahead of Bernal, with Dumoulin and Pinot the other two in single digit odds.

One way or another, it's going to be interesting...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The TdF is.a real sporting highlight for me but like almost everything else this crazy year, it's shaping up to be a little bit different.

The absence of Froome and Thomas is going to make things a little bit strange, but beyond that the shadow of Covid-19 looms with infections in France spiking again, and there has to be a real possibility of teams having to withdraw due to the "two positive test" rule that is in place, although false positives seem to be causing concerns around that.

Roglic seems to be the betting favourite for the yellow jersey, just ahead of Bernal, with Dumoulin and Pinot the other two in single digit odds.

Check the bookie's rules if punting the GC I would suggest. Bets void if the Tour is halted or paying out on the yellow jersey (for example.) Opportunity for one or two shrewd long priced wagers if the latter applies you would think.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I saw this morning that the 2 positive test rule has been withdrawn - but typically cant find the article now. Not sure what is being implemented instead as I didn't have a chance to read the article.
Roglic is playing down his chances as he says hes still suffering after his crash in the Dauphine, but I expect he will be up there still. His form has been outstanding so far.

2 mountain days to pretty much start the race will put the cat among the pigeons for sure.

Cant wait.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Looking forward to this year’s Tour so much. Been following them (on TV) since 1985.

Being outdoors, I think there’ll still be large crowds along the route.

The highlight as ever for me, the Pyrenees and Alps.

I’ve been hooked since about 1972 when they used to show 30 mins a week on World of Sport after On the Ball.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Long awaited, always a highlight of the sporting year, the Sky box will take a hammering!

With the delayed timing of the Tour, disrupted preparation schedules, notable absentees and the potential impact of the virus during the race it all seems refreshingly wide open.

Cannot rule out Ineos. Will be interesting to see how Carapaz goes - presumably as a super domestique in support of Bernal, but also a handy contender if required.

However I think Jumbo will just edge this one as the form team and looking so strong on paper. Really depends how fit & prepared Dumoulin and Roglic are.

More broken hearts for the French? How they would love Alaphillppe or Bardet to step up.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I gave up on that one tbh - I always play Velogames now (as do a few NSC Geeks) as its a really easy format. The TDF game hasn't been on there for a couple of years because of legal issues, but this year there is a brand new game....announcing it today hopefully.

I run my own competition, mostly for friends and work mates.

1 rider each day. Can’t pick the same one twice. Their time is your time. Quickest over 21 stages takes the loot.

Plus bonus prizes for most stage winners.

My favourite sporting event of the year bar none. Working from home means I won’t miss a minute and will be toggling between ITV and Eurosport to avoid the adverts too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's going to be brilliant. Hopefully a show that attracts a whole new generation of fans who presently are starved a bit of sporting contests.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve been hooked since about 1972 when they used to show 30 mins a week on World of Sport after On the Ball.

As a nipper I remember brief World of Sport highlights coverage of TdF in the Eddie Merckx era, then into Hinault and Zoetemelk. Seemed so glamorous, fleeting and distant then.

The brilliant C4 coverage highlights was the game changer on these shores. Coinciding with Roche, Kelly, Yates and Lemond.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Heading off on holiday Friday morning, so will only have access to evening highlights on ITV4 for the first week, but looking forward to watching the rest of it live when I get back.
Popped over to Dieppe in 2015 to watch the race pass through - worth doing if anyone is tempted to watch it roadside. Great atmosphere all day :clap::drink:

20200826_141605.jpg20200826_141617.jpg
20200826_141636.jpg20200826_141650.jpg
20200826_141709.jpg

Also, if anyone else is interested, Panini have released the TDF sticker album in this country this year....:thumbsup:

20200821_072119-01_resized.jpeg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Never watched any competitive outdoor cycling, but go on then, there's not much else on.

Is there a link to a true beginners guide? Or could someone explain a few things? In particular, I don't really get the team tactics, or how stage times or wins contribute to the overall win. Nice one

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Long awaited, always a highlight of the sporting year, the Sky box will take a hammering!

With the delayed timing of the Tour, disrupted preparation schedules, notable absentees and the potential impact of the virus during the race it all seems refreshingly wide open.

Cannot rule out Ineos. Will be interesting to see how Carapaz goes - presumably as a super domestique in support of Bernal, but also a handy contender if required.

However I think Jumbo will just edge this one as the form team and looking so strong on paper. Really depends how fit & prepared Dumoulin and Roglic are.

More broken hearts for the French? How they would love Alaphillppe or Bardet to step up.

Surely the guy who had his puncture repaired by messiah Bucketman has got to be a good bet, if not he's bound to win best dressed

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here