Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] A thread full of Rock stars who should just retire gracefully now

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mick Jagger, long long past his best and I am bored to tears with the recent stuff I keep hearing of his

Ray Davies- voice is totally shot

Surely these guys have enough money and don’t need to embarrass themselves by carrying on playing

Maybe I’m being harsh as there does seem to be plenty of people who will still pay to hear and buy their stuff

Other suggestions?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Ozzy Osbourne looks like he's had his 9 lives, not sure he needs the stress of October gigs!

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Rock stars? Im guessing all of them regardless of age is the wrong answer? :lolol:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Bob Dylan. The worst gig I've ever been to and I saw Axl Rose's Guns n' Roses.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suspect this thread has already morphed into 'A thread full of Rock stars you've never liked and you're taking this chance to have a pop at them' - or it soon will!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I suspect this thread has already morphed into 'A thread full of Rock stars you've never liked and you're taking this chance to have a pop at them' - or it soon will!

I bloody loved the Stones and The Kinks in their heyday. I also recognised McCartney as very talented with a great voice.

Not sure Ray Davies does much these days but I have cringed when I have seen him singing for a few years now. Jagger just annoys me these days :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I bloody loved the Stones and The Kinks in their heyday. I also recognised McCartney as very talented with a great voice.

Not sure Ray Davies does much these days but I have cringed when I have seen him singing for a few years now. Jagger just annoys me these days :shrug:
No, I don't doubt your intentions, or what you said in your post - I never said you'd started a thread full of rock stars you don't like - I said it had morphed into one.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I saw Ray Davies play an accoustic Kinks set at Glastonbury in 2009. It was one of the best live performances I've seen absolutely different class.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly.. if people "should" stop doing what they love once they are no longer as good at it as they used to be, most people should just jump off a bridge when they are 40.

Footballers don’t often get to 40 before retiring :wink:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
In his autobiography, I love the Keith Richards quote,

"For many years I slept, on average, twice a week. This means that I have been conscious for at least three life times."

I wouldn't doubt he's lived enough for 3 life times :smile:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I saw Ray Davies play an accoustic Kinks set at Glastonbury in 2009. It was one of the best live performances I've seen absolutely different class.

OK I take back what I said about Ray Davies. Whilst looking for a link to prove my point about his voice having gone I found this from 2017. Not what he was but still pretty good. I was wrong!

https://youtu.be/2fFqhcG02kw

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
A lot of the acts mentioned are either in their mid 70's or fast approaching them. Not surprised that the voice goes. Its the only thing they know and for some its like a drug. They love it. If the audience loves it and understands that they will not be getting the act in their pomp then no problem.

I saw Hall & Oates in February. I never thought for one minute that they would be like they were in 70's, 80's or even 90's, but they were still good. Daryl Hall voice is good - but nowhere near the range he had. You just have to accept it -or not go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here