Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton to welcome fans back

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton and Hove Albion are in line to become the first Premier League club to have a pilot event for the return of fans at a pre-season friendly as early as this weekend, with Women’s Super League games and non-League finals at Wembley Stadium also included as proposed football test events.

The government is expected to confirm that up to 2,500 fans will be allowed into Brighton’s match against unnamed opponents at the club’s Amex stadium to take place either over the Bank Holiday Weekend or next week. A second match at Brighton involving more spectators may also be held later in September.

The Times has learned that other football matches lined up as pilot events include the WSL match between West Ham United and Arsenal at Dagenham & Redbridge’s ground on September 13. Under the proposals, up to 1,000 supporters would be allowed to attend that game.

Wembley Stadium has been proposed as a test venue for fans for the FA Trophy and FA Vase finals, on September 20 or 27, with up to a maximum 10,000 supporters in the stadium. This is also likely to be the first test event of supporters attending from more than one club.

The WSL game between Manchester United and reigning champions Chelsea on September 6 had been proposed as a pilot event but will not be included due to local concerns surrounding coronavirus infection rates.

The government has set a date of October 1 for the limited return of spectators to all sports events, subject to social distancing requirements. The Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) expects stadiums to be between 17 per cent and 33 per cent full when spectators are permitted to return while maintaining social distancing, and are expected to be around 25 per cent full on average.

The final decision on all pilot events will take into account local lockdowns imposed due to increases in coronavirus infections, and events will be held behind closed doors if there is a spike in the surrounding area.

Brighton have been chosen as the venue for a pilot event as the stadium is a modern Premier League ground, and has gained a reputation for being efficiently run.

The government and football authorities are keen to use the WSL as test events as the women’s competition did not return behind closed doors. The WSL match earmarked is likely to be televised, is at a National League ground and will be an early test of fans using London transport.

The Wembley non-League finals day is the only opportunity to use the national stadium during the test phase, and the FA is keen to have some fans allowed in for the England matches in October, including the friendly against Wales on October 8 and then, if permitted by Uefa, the Nations League matches against Belgium and Denmark at Wembley on October 11 and 14 respectively.

Uefa’s president Aleksander Ceferin has signalled his desire for the partial return of spectators then — though not before. He said: “It’s sad in the stadium where you hear the coaches shout. It’s not the same football, but it’s still better than nothing. I hope that we will have at least some spectators in in October. I think we should start if the situation with Covid doesn’t worsen.”

Other test events have taken place in snooker and county cricket. Proposals have also been submitted for racing’s St Leger Festival at Doncaster on September 9-12 and the Cambridgeshire Festival at Newmarket starting on September 24.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Related...

[TWEET]1297970730727088131[/TWEET]

It would be better to face a team that has a local following but is also not huge in support. Crawley Town, perhaps. The standard of opposition is not important.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would be better to face a team that has a local following but is also not huge in support. Crawley Town, perhaps. The standard of opposition is not important.

The standard of opposition may not be important from a test event perspective, but from Graham Potter getting his squad ready, it is probably of greater significance.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The standard of opposition may not be important from a test event perspective, but from Graham Potter getting his squad ready, it is probably of greater significance.

Perhaps Fulham then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is he saying that would have been the test event?

It certainly marries up with information I'd caught wind of.

I have no idea if plans have been changed (or are trying to be changed) given what the fixture computer threw out for the opening game of the season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It certainly marries up with information I'd caught wind of.

I have no idea if plans have been changed (or are trying to be changed) given what the fixture computer threw out for the opening game of the season.

I’m just wondering how the ‘test’ crowd could be arranged between now and Saturday ...ok I can see the new ticketing arrangements (all online/mobile)....general sale..first come first serve etc...seems very short notice even from today when nothing’s been announced

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I suggest ballot from the season ticket holders on the Zoom call last Monday who showed an interest.... ???

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Unless they have hand picked the fans without telling anyone, there's no way it could be this Sat - too short notice

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unless they have hand picked the fans without telling anyone, there's no way it could be this Sat - too short notice

I have no inside knowledge of this at all, but I would have thought that as long as behind the scenes the club do all they need to do to prepare the ground to accommodate 2,500 people on Saturday then it wouldn't be too short notice yet.

If the club put 2,500 tickets up for sale on Thursday or even Friday, I'm sure they would sell to people who were able to get to the Amex on Saturday.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Is it likely attendees will have to fill out a questionnaire as well as having their temperature taken?
This is the process that is followed in nursing homes and other venues where vulnerable individuals may also be in attendance.
I won’t attend - personally I think it is too soon.
Let’s see how the school situation affects infection rates and ease non-essential events back in from October.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here