Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Loft Conversion Help

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I was wondering if anybody had any experience of getting some issues with a loft conversion sorted 9 months after it had been completed.

We had our loft converted and have noticed after minimal use that there appears to be a leak coming from where the bathroom is, specifically where the bath/shower is located as there are numerous brown patches on the ceiling in the room below.

Is this something I should go back to the company that did the work for us to get sorted, or am I on the hook for getting it repaired?

I'm also fully aware this is just a 5 minute job and have also tried turning it off and on again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was wondering if anybody had any experience of getting some issues with a loft conversion sorted 9 months after it had been completed.

We had our loft converted and have noticed after minimal use that there appears to be a leak coming from where the bathroom is, specifically where the bath/shower is located as there are numerous brown patches on the ceiling in the room below.

Is this something I should go back to the company that did the work for us to get sorted, or am I on the hook for getting it repaired?

I'm also fully aware this is just a 5 minute job and have also tried turning it off and on again.

First port of call is your contract

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Is it a bath or shower tray that maybe causing the leak, when they to the silicone round a bath they tend to fill it water then do the silicone so that the bath has dropped to it’s maximum??

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
Is it a bath or shower tray that maybe causing the leak, when they to the silicone round a bath they tend to fill it water then do the silicone so that the bath has dropped to it’s maximum??

It's a bath. No idea whether they did fill it and silicone it when full or not.

With limited knowledge this doesn't look to be a case of water leaking through a gap in the sealant though, the patches on the ceiling below make me think it is an issue with waste water coming from the bath. We noticed a tiny patch a week or so ago and thought little of it and since then I have had one shower up there yesterday and now there are multiple brown patches below.

I've just phoned the builder and he is going to pop round tomorrow to have a look.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Loft conversions are a moving target, lots of wood . . . . I'd expect the contractors to offer to come back and rectify for negligible if any cost.

I'd expect that to be factorerd into their cost . . . . a family friend did out kitchen extension, came back after 6 months and caulked gaps / repainted . . .told us it would happen before he'd finished building it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Can you get the bath panel off, might be the waste nut that needs a tighten, that's if you're lucky!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
Can you get the bath panel off, might be the waste nut that needs a tighten, that's if you're lucky!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I'd need to re-silicone it but will see what they say tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here