Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Forum and sub-forums - Covid Good News

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Considering we are off season, with little but transfer rumours to sustain our footballing interest. Oh and we thrashed lowly Pompey, in case anyone wasn't paying attention.

I have to say, how well I think splitting off Covid and containing the Bear Pit continues to work. Just one plea from me and a chance to see if this gets general agreement.

The Coronavirus Good News Thread, has I think run its course. There is very little that you could describe as good news and what there is, is swamped by conspiracy theorists. Is it time to pick it up and move it in with the rest of the Covid stuff?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Coronavirus Good News Thread is comfortably the best thread on NSC (in my opinion, of course).

The vast majority of posts in there are absolutely nothing to do with conspiracy theories - it's mostly useful insight from scientists and epidemiologists on positive trends, improving treatments, information and data on ways in which the human race is fighting back against this **** of a virus.

I think it's also a thread that self-moderates impressively well - if anyone gets a little too political, or it veers off into opinion/debate/subjective views/theories too much, it always gets pulled back to it's original intention by the majority. Many different people have popped into the thread sporadically to comment how happy they are to see new activity in it. Baffled why anyone would want it moved.

Also, given we don't know how far along the timeline we really are with this virus (halfway? most of the way? still a long way to go?) the timing of moving it would be odd, IMO.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. It's more interesting today than the main Covid sub forum and continues to offer hope. Moving a "good news thread" when we seem to be on top of the virus sends out exactly the wrong message.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Considering we are off season, with little but transfer rumours to sustain our footballing interest. Oh and we thrashed lowly Pompey, in case anyone wasn't paying attention.

I have to say, how well I think splitting off Covid and containing the Bear Pit continues to work. Just one plea from me and a chance to see if this gets general agreement.

The Coronavirus Good News Thread, has I think run its course. There is very little that you could describe as good news and what there is, is swamped by conspiracy theorists. Is it time to pick it up and move it in with the rest of the Covid stuff?

Yes. It began with good intentions when we were all feeling the pressure of the unknown early in the outbreak. However, for some time now it has been simply a platform for Covid denial.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes. It began with good intentions when we were all feeling the pressure of the unknown early in the outbreak. However, for some time now it has been simply a platform for Covid denial.

I'm sorry but this is complete bollocks. I have posted in there around 300 times, and my posts are of a similar nature to a number of other prolific posters - between us our posts make up around 50-60% of the thread. None of us are COVID "deniers" in any way, shape or form.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm sorry but this is complete bollocks. I have posted in there around 300 times, and my posts are of a similar nature to a number of other prolific posters - between us our posts make up around 50-60% of the thread. None of us are COVID "deniers" in any way, shape or form.

Well, it’s just a view. I don’t feel strongly about the location of the thread and I don’t post in it, so really it has nothing to do with me. You are a good NSC poster and I certainly don’t mean to cause offense. The thread’s fate should be decided by yourself and the other prolific posters, not me.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Needs to remain.

There’s plenty of new good news. For example a long article in The Times online, on why in the vast majority of cases across the world including the UK, second waves of CV19 cases aren’t giving rise to a second spike in deaths.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I would be gutted if the Corona good news thread got removed. It's been absolutely brilliant and positive. Please leave it alone. If you don't like it don't click on it

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Keep this uplifting thread. Removing it would just confirm how uncomfortable we are with dealing with good news.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, it’s just a view. I don’t feel strongly about the location of the thread and I don’t post in it, so really it has nothing to do with me. You are a good NSC poster and I certainly don’t mean to cause offense. The thread’s fate should be decided by yourself and the other prolific posters, not me.

If you don’t post in it how do you know it’s full of Covid denying conspiracies? Are you reading it, tutting a bit and moving on to something more important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Thank you for you for the trouble you take to post [emoji122]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Sorry, I went in too hard there. Definite yellow.

I just know that the thread has been a real help for a lot of people mentally. And I also am not a fan of the posts that verge more on the conspiratorial, but in my experience those are generally drowned out/ignored for the most part.

:thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you don’t post in it how do you know it’s full of Covid denying conspiracies? Are you reading it, tutting a bit and moving on to something more important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does have a special be nice line drawn around it, which was very useful and for genuine good news very welcome. I think there is some real dross there, but good to hear people still find it helpful.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
CV good news is a good thread. Keep it. On the other hand, I followed a few of the oft-quoted people from it on twitter and I have to admit I'm not totally comfortable with all of them. Lots of the data seems to be presented in a way to push a particular agenda and they seem to attract a huge number of whackjobs who follow and retweet their stuff

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The SARS-Cov-2 Good News thread was great but I haven't bothered with it since that dodgy 'imperial college' professor was given too much of a voice on it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I've posted in there quite a few times myself and I've seen very little constituting Covid-denying conspiracy. If I remember correctly, the thread was created to add balance in a world where the media appeared to be inclined to prioritise the reporting of bad news over good. No one is denying the seriousness of the ongoing situation, however it does need to be noted that amongst all the anguish in the world right now there are positive developments which deserve to be surfaced.

No one truly knows how things will progress from here. At the two extremes of the spectrum, during the next few months it's possible we could either see an end to the pandemic (through means of vaccine, treatment or a natural degradation of the virus) or a devastating second wave. In either scenario, I'd want to be kept abreast of any positive news (albeit for different reasons), something we apparently cannot always rely on mainstream media for.

I think it would be a travesty to bury the thread.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think we can all accept marvellous GN thread will remain firmly where it is, it ain’t going nowhere, so perhaps this thread might be locked?

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I opened the thread for the first time in a while this morning, and immediately thought the same.

It does look like the opinion offered has been nicely countered now though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here