Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A humble thanks.

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Charlton Athletic fan here.
My goodness our two clubs are light years apart now, but I have popped on here to thank the Brighton fan I spoke to today at our humble gathering at the Valley taking place to protest about our seemingly never ending difficulties.
Brighton fans were brilliant when we protested a few years ago, and the chap I met today was also brilliant and it was a privilege to see him there. If your man is representative of the generous attitude of more Albion fans then it is humbling to think you spare a thought for us.
Class fans, class club.
Thank You.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My goodness our two clubs are light years apart now, but I have popped on here to thank the Brighton fan I spoke to today at our humble gathering at the Valley taking place to protest about our seemingly never ending difficulties.
Brighton fans were brilliant when we protested a few years ago, and the chap I met today was also brilliant and it was a privilege to see him there. If your man is representative of the generous attitude of more Albion fans then it is humbling to think you spare a thought for us.
Class fans, class club.
Thank You.

:bowdown: we still remember your support at Fans United when the positions were reversed

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mate the feelings mutual - Charlton a great club and have been treated like shit from scumbags. You may say light years apart now but that’s football and it can all change so quickly. We as a club and fan base will never forget our past or where we came from.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Class fans, class club.
Thank You.

The feeling is entirely mutual, similar sized clubs, both hate Palace! you stood by us in our darkest hour and we will never forget that. The only thing that separates our two great locals clubs, is that finally we have decent ownership.

I wish you every success in the battles ahead, I hope you keep out that hatchet man Dave Jones from your club, looks like he's happy to play the asset stripper role since nobody will employ him as a manager anymore.

Don't stop fighting and if there is anything we as a club can do to assist you, I'm sure you'd find plenty of willing volunteers.

Up the Addicks.

p.s https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381813-Charlton-Athletic&highlight=charlton

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
The feeling is entirely mutual, similar sized clubs, both hate Palace! you stood by us in our darkest hour and we will never forget that. The only thing that separates our two great locals clubs, is that finally we have decent ownership.

I wish you every success in the battles ahead, I hope you keep out that hatchet man Dave Jones from your club, looks like he' happy to asset strip since nobody will employ him as a manager anymore.

Don't stop fighting and if ther is anything we as a club can do to assist you, I'm sure you'd find plenty of willing volunteers.

Up the Addicks.

Very well put...100% this

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Many thanks for all your kind words.

Football can be wonderful sometimes, and many Addicks of my generation still say (as I do) that the greatest game we ever saw was against Brighton.
I remember the huge phalanx of Brighton fans at what we used to call the uncovered end.
I know it helps that we won, but every football fan carries at least one memory of a magical occasion, old school at the old Valley, evening game under floodlights, two teams playing a great match with the relish of being alive in that moment. All out attack from both teams all game.
I wonder if anybody reading this was there and remembers it.

A classic of epic proportions this one. 2-0 up, 3-2 down and played in front of a healthy crowd too.

Tuesday 4th October 1977. Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Tydeman 16, McAuley 31, Peacock 66, Powell 71) Brighton and Hove Albion 3 (1) (Ward 38 57 (pen), Winstanley 62)
The Valley. Att: 19,098.

Charlton: Wood, Penfold, Warman, Tydeman, Giles, Berry, Powell, Abrahams (Gritt 77), Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley.

Brighton: Steele, Tiler, Williams, Horton, Winstanley, Cattlin, Potts, Ward, Mellor (Fell 71), Piper, O'Sullivan.

Referee: M Taylor (Walmer, Kent)

Penalty: Awarded against Penfold for a foul on Ward. Horton's first effort was saved by Wood but a retake was ordered for the keeper moving before the ball was kicked. The second kick was struck wide but Wood was adjudged to have moved again. Finally Ward took responsibility and slammed the third attempt past Wood.

Highest crowd: With a full midweek programme, Charltons gate was the highest in the second division.
I believe that day, or the day before, your very own Peter Ward had just had his first call up for England.

You might also notice above the name of Steve Gritt. Much loved in these parts.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Football can be wonderful sometimes, and many Addicks of my generation still say (as I do) that the greatest game we ever saw was against Brighton.
I remember the huge phalanx of Brighton fans at what we used to call the uncovered end.
I know it helps that we won, but every football fan carries at least one memory of a magical occasion, old school at the old Valley, evening game under floodlights, two teams playing a great match with the relish of being alive in that moment. All out attack from both teams all game.

A classic of epic proportions this one. 2-0 up, 3-2 down and played in front of a healthy crowd too.

Tuesday 4th October 1977. Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Tydeman 16, McAuley 31, Peacock 66, Powell 71) Brighton and Hove Albion 3 (1) (Ward 38 57 (pen), Winstanley 62)

Charlton: Wood, Penfold, Warman, Tydeman, Giles, Berry, Powell, Abrahams (Gritt 77), Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley.

Brighton: Steele, Tiler, Williams, Horton, Winstanley, Cattlin, Potts, Ward, Mellor (Fell 71), Piper, O'Sullivan.

Penalty: Awarded against Penfold for a foul on Ward. Horton's first effort was saved by Wood but a retake was ordered for the keeper moving before the ball was kicked. The second kick was struck wide but Wood was adjudged to have moved again. Finally Ward took responsibility and slammed the third attempt past Wood.

Highest crowd: With a full midweek programme, Charltons gate was the highest in the second division.
I believe that day, or the day before, your very own Peter Ward had just had his first call up for England.

Was a little late getting there told by the stewards the Brighton end was full and they let us in the home end. My uncles car broke down on the way home, ford cortina estate with 7 of us in it

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I have a serious soft spot for Charlton, I was gutted when you went down.

My first ever away game for Brighton was our 4-0 victory at your place, 16th October 2010 (see I even remember the date!), and I loved the ground to no end.

Looking forward to going back some point soon. Hopefully it’s because you’ve joined us in the promised land and not the other way around!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I went with my Cardiff city supporting cousin last season for the match at the Valley. We paid for hospitality
- and had one of the best footballing days I can remember. Definitely my second club.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

I was at that match - think we would of gone top of the league if we'd held on to win.
Very entertaining game - remember the kerfuffle with the penalty and your goalkeeper bouncing the crossbar before the spot-kick.
Bit of bovver with a small group of Chelsea at the back of our end.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thomas Sandgaard sounds like a very credible prospective owner, according to Talk sport yesterday. I was very impressed. Sounds like it could be done by the start of the season including transfer of ownership of the club, the stadium and the training ground. Fingers crossed for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here