Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bobby Sanchez

JamesTheDaley

Aug 22, 2020
Good Day Seagulls fans, Rochdale fan here.

Robert Sanchez, impressed between the sticks for us during his loan spell last season. Any rumours about what Potter's plans are for him? We would welcome him back in a heartbeat if the plan is to send him out on loan again.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He almost certainly will be sent back out on loan. If he's had a good season and proved himself at that level with you then for his development it would make sense for the next loan to be one at a club pushing for League one promotion or maybe even a lower end Championship team. Guess it depends which end of the table you'd expect Rochdale to be aiming for and how much interest there is in him.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
He almost certainly will be sent back out on loan. If he's had a good season and proved himself at that level with you then for his development it would make sense for the next loan to be one at a club pushing for League one promotion or maybe even a lower end Championship team. Guess it depends which end of the table you'd expect Rochdale to be aiming for and how much interest there is in him.

Wouldn't it be prudent to send a gk to a team that is expected to struggle? he'll get plenty of work that way!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
At this stage in his career, ideally, he needs to be aiming for championship if he is to have a career in the Premier League.

That said, goalkeepers have time on their hands (pun intended) to be late developers.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Robert Sanchez, impressed between the sticks for us during his loan spell last season. Any rumours about what Potter's plans are for him? We would welcome him back in a heartbeat if the plan is to send him out on loan again.

Good day back.

Do us a favour...can you pop over to Leeds this arvo and drive around the town centre with a megaphone shouting “stop writing songs, poems and grizzling into your barm cakes about Ben White”

Then you can have Sanchez back for another season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Playing at an increasingly high level is not nearly as important for a goalkeeper as for outfield players though. And perhaps preferably not to a top team as you want your keeper to get involved.. If he developed well at Rochdale I could see him going back there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Would you say he has he potential to play at premier league level?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West

Welcome to The Board James. Thanks for stopping by!

When I saw Sanchez play for our U23’s a couple of seasons ago, he looked a real talent even then. I was actually surprised the size of him given he was only 20 years of age.

Just out of interest, did you see him play most weeks? If so, can you tell us his strengths and weaknesses as a goalkeeper? Really interested in his development over the next couple of years. Hopefully he’ll get a decent League One club or even lower end Championship (maybe Luton?) club for a season long loan next season...obviously no disrespect to The Dale!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Not necessarily. Walton was playing in league one at the same age. He's been slowly working his way up the ladder and now he's all but an established Championship keeper... and still looking likely to be Premier League quality as he continues to improve.
I agree with you, and I did mention "ideally". One thing that is paramount is his ability with his feet, so providing he stays in league one it would be good to see him at a team that plays from the back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wouldn't it be prudent to send a gk to a team that is expected to struggle? he'll get plenty of work that way!
It is also important for a GK to be able to keep their concentration when the play is mostly at the other end of the pitch, and then not to be caught out by a sudden counter.
I imagine the loans team will be looking to find him a place in the Championship - sorry Rochdale - but if the loans team feels that Rochdale have done a good job looking after and developing one of our development squad, we have plenty other promising youngsters we'll be looking to loan out.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why did he only play 20 odd games ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welcome to The Board James. Thanks for stopping by!

When I saw Sanchez play for our U23’s a couple of seasons ago, he looked a real talent even then. I was actually surprised the size of him given he was only 20 years of age.

Just out of interest, did you see him play most weeks? If so, can you tell us his strengths and weaknesses as a goalkeeper? Really interested in his development over the next couple of years. Hopefully he’ll get a decent League One club or even lower end Championship (maybe Luton?) club for a season long loan next season...obviously no disrespect to The Dale!

Perhaps Jones is still smarting from when we recalled Walton from his loan after Maenpaa got injured at Lincoln.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have seen him play a little and he looks impressive. He is a tall lad with great reflexes and ability with his feet, I actually have higher hopes of him then any of the other goal keepers we have had at the club, a real decent prospect

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Playing at an increasingly high level is not nearly as important for a goalkeeper as for outfield players though. And perhaps preferably not to a top team as you want your keeper to get involved.. If he developed well at Rochdale I could see him going back there.

Utter nonsense.

It’s every bit as important, the speed of the game for a start is different at every level.

Not to mention the quality.

The club have handled Walton well and fully expect them to do the same with Sanchez.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
We will almost certainly be looking to find a Championship club for Sanchez next season.

He is a very good goalie, great reflexes, good distribution and tall. He likes to play it out at the back with a bit of swagger rather than hoof and hope, but he certainly has his lapses in concentration and has let quite a few howlers in for Rochdale (who had one of the worst defences in League One).

With Walton, Sanchez, McGill and Rushworth, there are quite a few decent young goalies at the club - the question is whether they will be good Football League players, or whether they can push on to PL level.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Wow, a nice normal, regular footie fan from a team up North. We'd forgotten what that looks like.....been inundated with entitled, deluded muppets from up the M62 in Leeds.

Do really like Rochdale, a lot of great players in our club had been through your excellent structures, youre fantastic at finding and developing talent. I truly wish you and your cracking football club every success in these challenging times.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Utter nonsense.

It’s every bit as important, the speed of the game for a start is different at every level.

Not to mention the quality.

The club have handled Walton well and fully expect them to do the same with Sanchez.

So you are saying that the pace of the game affects a keeper as much as it affects i.e. a midfielder?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So you are saying that the pace of the game affects a keeper as much as it affects i.e. a midfielder?

It affects all players.
That’s just one example. if anything the fact the goalie can be redundant and then called in to react to a different situation in terms of pace and quality, makes it arguably harder. The outfield player picks up pace throughout a game, the point is, I really don’t agree that a keeper can be treated differently from any other position in terms of loan progression.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Much appreciate the feedback on one of our players out on loan, I imagine he will be back out on loan next season but I guess it depends on where the coaches see his next step of development as to what level he needs to go to?
?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Playing with better players will improve his game. What’s the point of trying to organise a defence that doesn’t have a clue or doesn’t listen to you? Also, playing for a poorer team with poor results may result in a lack of confidence.
The loan system should aim to develop players at the highest level possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here