Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove City Council Vote of No Confidence Petition

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Mid week I rather forced myself out and went the 6 miles along the coast to Worthing.
I rode, as usual, but this time without the kids.
Lil Miss Stat travels at the beat of her own drum, so I didn't really have a feel for how long it would take, solo.

25 minutes, door to door,
I was very much in 'sit up and beg' mode.
Worthing prom was pretty busy, traffic on that part of the coast road had as usual thinned out, so there was no 'gloating' to be had!
I was overtaken by a fair few electric bikes and a couple of lads on electric scooters.
Naturally I 'parked' free on the pedestrian precinct.
Broke up the 25 min return home by stopping at 'The Cake Cafe' in Ferring.
While there one woman when asked if she could be helped said, 'Oh no I'm just waiting for my sister, she's stuck in traffic'.

So it was quicker than driving.
Cost no money.
Parking was free and exactly where I wanted.
Older less fit (if that's possible) people were still quicker than me.
There was no visible signs of anger or frustration.

but were there any injuries or near misses, stat?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Don't be. Not everyone has read a lot of Dickens :lolol:

That you don't know Dickens? Yes. Yes it is.

Predictably vapid.

Yes it's embarassing that I haven't looked into the use of the word 'gammon' as anything but a noun for a leg of meat, apparently used as a slur by a bunch of politically charged loons referencing (very loosely I might add) a long dead writer.

Take a ****ing look at yourselves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Predictably vapid.

Yes it's embarassing that I haven't looked into the use of the word 'gammon' as anything but a noun for a leg of meat, apparently used as a slur by a bunch of politically charged loons referencing (very loosely I might add) a long dead writer.

I don't think it's embarrassing not knowing what Gammon means or not having read Dickens. Referencing very loosely ? It is the very definition of someone who uses faux nationalism to try to bluster their way around their complete inability to understand detail, and it references politics specifically.

But, given that you didn't know any of that, you then decide to post this

What in the world of **** is "gammon"?

Is this some new smarmy term for anybody not on the left after tarring them as racists and then subsequently as populists didn't stick?

The insults are getting more and more flakey as time goes on.

So, having admitted that you have no idea what it means, and with the whole internet at your fingertips where you could find out, instead of actually educating yourself, you go into some ridiculous rant about your pre-disposed prejudices.

Now THAT is embarrassing :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Predictably vapid.

It's re-entered the lexicon in the last eight years or so - that's a pretty long time - and about coincides with the rise of the Alt Right funnily enough.

But you're right. It's not your fault you're out of touch with popular culture, can't use a search engine and don't read very much.

What is actually embarassing is the clutch of WUMs on here pretending to be offended by it. Or, worse, a grown man pretending that the NSC swear filter has picked up the word "gammon".

The old bill will surely back the G***** (nice to see a filter has been put on the word now)

D

Deleted member 2719

It's re-entered the lexicon in the last eight years or so - that's a pretty long time - and about coincides with the rise of the Alt Right funnily enough.

But you're right. It's not your fault you're out of touch with popular culture, can't use a search engine and don't read very much.

What is actually embarassing is the clutch of WUMs on here pretending to be offended by it. Or, worse, a grown man pretending that the NSC swear filter has picked up the word "gammon".

But the G***** is an offensive racist word.

Can you explain to me why it should not be in the filter? as I know people who have been banned for racist things on FB for ONLY 3 days and I get a months ban on NSC for some off the cuff comment.

It's a bit arse about face when FB is more lenient than NSC or is it just The GB that wields the axe with power in his hands because he disagrees about 99% of my posts???

The G***** word would be banned in a heartbeat if it had been made up about black people.

Remember GB I am the unelected VOICE OF REASON on here.:lol:

I see this Belfield bloke has nicked my tag line.:rant:

As Belfield rightly says 'people are sick of this bull shittery that is going on'

https://youtu.be/Vc0o6VmrllQ

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Can you explain to me why it should not be in the filter? as I know people who have been banned for racist things on FB for ONLY 3 days and I get a months ban on NSC for some off the cuff comment.

It's a bit arse about face when FB is more lenient than NSC or is it just The GB that wields the axe with power in his hands because he disagrees about 99% of my posts???

The G***** word would be banned in a heartbeat if it had been made up about black people.

As Belfield rightly says 'people are sick of this bull shittery that is going on'

I don’t know why you’re getting so wound up about the word gammon, I love it, every time I get called it simply means the soy haven’t got anything else to come back with, embrace it gammon brother.

I think one of the soy on here is planning to write a book on gammon too which will be a good read[emoji23]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You know very well you were banned for saying someone deserved to be slapped "in every sense of the word". That's a threat of physical violence and your ban was sactioned by Bozza. Do it again and it'll be permanent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don’t know why you’re getting so wound up about the word gammon, I love it, every time I get called it simply means the soy haven’t got anything else to come back with, embrace it gammon brother.

I think one of the soy on here is planning to write a book on gammon too which will be a good read[emoji23]

Indeed - nowt to get wound up about as it's such a pathetic term. It's an insult used by those that have little intelligence or imagination. They're more than likely the same people, who as kids, went around calling other kids 'Joey Deacon'. The funny thing is watching those using the term be more Gammon than anyone else - first evidence - TLO :lol:

Now if someone called me a Green councillor I really would be offended.

D

Deleted member 2719

You know very well you were banned for saying someone deserved to be slapped "in every sense of the word". That's a threat of physical violence and your ban was sactioned by Bozza. Do it again and it'll be permanent.

Blimey, I thought all you liberal lefties were meant to be nice fellas???

D

Deleted member 2719

I’m not sure he’s that liberal, he’s certainly shit stirrer, you name me any other mod who apart from mod duties is often found balls deep in most rows on here!

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr??? nope, not sure that I can.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Indeed - nowt to get wound up about as it's such a pathetic term.
I don’t know why you’re getting so wound up about the word gammon, I love it,

Well I would hope you're not wound up by it. Because obviously when Dickens first used the insult in Nicholas Nickleby in 1838, he said

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

He was clearly talking about someone who uses faux nationalism to try to bluster their way around their complete inability to understand detail, particularly in relation to politics.

So the insult was certainly not aimed at you two in any shape or form :thumbsup:

*edit* I'm sure this thread wasn't here when I started typing :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well I would hope you're not wound up by it. Because obviously when Dickens first used the insult in Nicholas Nickleby in 1838, he said

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

It is a clear definition of someone who uses faux nationalism to try to bluster their way around their complete inability to understand detail, particularly in relation to politics.

So the insult was certainly not aimed at you two in any shape or form :thumbsup:

I’m impressed, all of that and you didn’t need to edit, well done[emoji106][emoji6]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mid week I rather forced myself out and went the 6 miles along the coast to Worthing.
I rode, as usual, but this time without the kids.
Lil Miss Stat travels at the beat of her own drum, so I didn't really have a feel for how long it would take, solo.

25 minutes, door to door,
I was very much in 'sit up and beg' mode.
Worthing prom was pretty busy, traffic on that part of the coast road had as usual thinned out, so there was no 'gloating' to be had!
I was overtaken by a fair few electric bikes and a couple of lads on electric scooters.
Naturally I 'parked' free on the pedestrian precinct.
Broke up the 25 min return home by stopping at 'The Cake Cafe' in Ferring.
While there one woman when asked if she could be helped said, 'Oh no I'm just waiting for my sister, she's stuck in traffic'.

So it was quicker than driving.
Cost no money.
Parking was free and exactly where I wanted.
Older less fit (if that's possible) people were still quicker than me.
There was no visible signs of anger or frustration.

Going Lancing ..Worthing way isn’t really that challenging for a driver ..yes in rush hour it can get busy but not as stressful as going in the other direction ..same applies to parking in my experience ..did you use the cycle path?

Going to Brighton leisure wise I would choose to cycle for all the reasons you’ve mentioned ..unless it was a strong south westerly ..I’d rather get knackered departing than on returning

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Going Lancing ..Worthing way isn’t really that challenging for a driver ..yes in rush hour it can get busy but not as stressful as going in the other direction ..same applies to parking in my experience ..did you use the cycle path?

Going to Brighton leisure wise I would choose to cycle for all the reasons you’ve mentioned ..unless it was a strong south westerly ..I’d rather get knackered departing than on returning

If there is a strong South Westerly and you wanted to go to Brighton, would you not bother going or would you drive?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If there is a strong South Westerly and you wanted to go to Brighton, would you not bother going or would you drive?

Tbh it’s not a decision I really have to make that often ...I’m in a van six days a week through necessity...Sunday’s about the only day I’d be on my bike and as it’ll be a social ride and the desire to go to Brighton socially is rare ..if it was that bad I’d not go at all...ive had enough of driving for six days and the thought of going that way (especially along the sea front) is a complete turn off

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

From me to Worthing it's about 1 part cycle path 2 parts road.

I have to go past Haskins, so there's my entire journey time completed there, if I were in a car. (Not even going to exclamation point that - it's just a fact)

As said I was up on the prom because I was just pootling along, so able to second guess the little ones, old ones and animals!

When riding at speed, after Brighton I do most of car overtaking East of Shoreham, Lancing, Splash point in Worthing and finally Haskins, either way it doesn't matter.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From me to Worthing it's about 1 part cycle path 2 parts road.

I have to go past Haskins, so there's my entire journey time completed there, if I were in a car. (Not even going to exclamation point that - it's just a fact)

As said I was up on the prom because I was just pootling along, so able to second guess the little ones, old ones and animals!

When riding at speed, after Brighton I do most of car overtaking East of Shoreham, Lancing, Splash point in Worthing and finally Haskins, either way it doesn't matter.

Ah well Haskins is a tad past where I normally go..just Shoreham to the pier or a tad north where my daughter used to live ..as said my experience travelling that way by vehicle is that it’s not that bad ..however on a Sunday I prefer not to get into something that represents work and enjoy my bike ..although I’ve just experienced two incidents of shitty driving pedalling from North Shoreham to the beach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here