Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove City Council Vote of No Confidence Petition

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's weird how the most gammony right wingers are so easily triggered.

What in the world of **** is "gammon"?

Is this some new smarmy term for anybody not on the left after tarring them as racists and then subsequently as populists didn't stick?

The insults are getting more and more flakey as time goes on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You might want to take the views and posts of the Green Party spokesman .... sorry ... spokesperson ... with a pinch of salt. He gets all upset when the previous failings of the Green council get raised.

Alternatively, decent society is best totally ignoring your fabrications. You've nothing to add but, like any insular gammon, you're still going say them, then grizzle like Bannon, Delingpole or Raab when you're told you're wrong. Which is every single time.

Bins? Re-cycling? i360? Three parties to blame - you blame one. Your take on local politics is every bit as regressive and fact-free as the petition posted by the OP.

Oh, for the day when you can deal in facts... This is your problem, no-one else's.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be honest, I'm not hugeley interested in the content of this thread. Greens, in a wider context, strike me as well meaning but rather naieve in certain respects. I'm still shaking my head, sadly, at that car crash interview by the Australian green, based in the UK, a few years ago. I seem to recall the Greens opposed the Amex so they can sod off as far as I'm concerned. And gammon getting their love-eggs twisted over cycle lanes can do one.

Anyway, all the best from sunny Faversham, where we have no greens, weirdly (considering this is the garden of England). :thumbsup:

I'm afraid our recollection is letting you down.

One Green (Pete West) wrote about the club staying at Withdean, but that was against party policy. The Green Party policy was to support a new stadium - indeed to conditionally support having one at Falmer, provided the club could prove nowhere was better.

At the time, Labour had an overall majority on the City Council, and The Greens, Lib Dems and Tories felt that they (Labour) weren't reporting back to the city council everything they needed to know in order to take a view on it.

As is transpired, there was a second public enquiry into proving nowhere else was better, so they got what they wanted AND proved to be closer to understanding planning law than the Labour administration. With that in place, The Green Party was in favour of Falmer.

Remember when Lewes District Council filed for opposition to the plan with a number of co-signatories? These included Falmer Parish Council, the Society of Sussex Downsmen, Friends of the Earth, Campaign to Protect Rural England and many others. Two groups absent who had no intention of being co-signatories were The Green Party of England & Wales and the Brighton & Hove Green Party, simply because they were not opposed to the stadium.

There, marked your card. :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Is this some new smarmy term for anybody not on the left after tarring them as racists and then subsequently as populists didn't stick?

No, not a new term at all. Charles Dickens 1838 in Nicholas Nickleby.

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Basically, it was used to describe someone who uses faux nationalism to try to cover their inability to understand detail (particularly in relation to politics). I can't imagine why it's come back into common use ???

Every day's a schoolday on NSC :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

What is gammon,? Have you been living in a hole in the ground these last few years?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Well frankly I'm shocked and offended.
Have I read what is happening?
No
Do I vote?
No
Do I have to drive down that way?
Hell, no
Being shocked and offended just seems to be the in thing. I really ought to take more interest in current affairs.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No, not a new term at all. Charles Dickens 1838 in Nicholas Nickleby.

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Basically, it was used to describe someone who uses faux nationalism to try to cover their inability to understand detail (particularly in relation to politics). I can't imagine why it's come back into common use ???

Every day's a schoolday on NSC :thumbsup:

Embarassing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Concise to the point and correct.

Don't you believe in democracy then? Personally I think everyone should get behind our democratically elected local leaders implementing something that will make things better in the long term for a bit of short term pain. Don't you?

Embarassing.

That you don't know Dickens? Yes. Yes it is.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't you believe in democracy then? Personally I think everyone should get behind our democratically elected local leaders implementing something that will make things better in the long term for a bit of short term pain. Don't you?

That you don't know Dickens? Yes. Yes it is.

Rah, rah Britain. Britain is Great.

Boo, Britain's greatest author. He is racist.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Alternatively, decent society is best totally ignoring your fabrications. You've nothing to add but, like any insular gammon, you're still going say them, then grizzle like Bannon, Delingpole or Raab when you're told you're wrong. Which is every single time.

Bins? Re-cycling? i360? Three parties to blame - you blame one. Your take on local politics is every bit as regressive and fact-free as the petition posted by the OP.

Oh, for the day when you can deal in facts... This is your problem, no-one else's.

Remind me the lies the Greens produced about predicted footfall for the i360 ? Even then you posted on here that they were correct and anyone that dare question them was just being negative. Fast forward and oh .......

And we'll ignore the dirty deal between Kitcat and Theobald ( both scum ) - I know you don;t believe it but I've had it confirmed by three councilors of the time, Kitcat going on a taxpayers paid course to the USA ( that could have easily been attended here ) even after his resignation, his wife's put down of B&H residents ( she was probably too busy taking her clothes off to understand the people of the city ), Kitcat then cleared off to a well paid advisor role at Crunch ( I actually thought better of Darren Fell than to do employ a **** like Kitcat ). Oh let's throw in Seven Dials, Edward Street and Lewes Road debacles. Maybe we shouldn't also mention Halfords and pink bikes ? And then of course is the utter prick that is Ben Duncan - supported by every Green councillor despite him calling soldiers murderers - oh and him taking the piss out of the residents of Hangleton wanting the area being cleared of drug dealing and anti-social behaviour.

I could go on about how pathetic the Greens last were but they, and you, will show themselves up again.

You are deluded and blinded by your Green glasses.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm afraid our recollection is letting you down.

One Green (Pete West) wrote about the club staying at Withdean, but that was against party policy. The Green Party policy was to support a new stadium - indeed to conditionally support having one at Falmer, provided the club could prove nowhere was better.

At the time, Labour had an overall majority on the City Council, and The Greens, Lib Dems and Tories felt that they (Labour) weren't reporting back to the city council everything they needed to know in order to take a view on it.

As is transpired, there was a second public enquiry into proving nowhere else was better, so they got what they wanted AND proved to be closer to understanding planning law than the Labour administration. With that in place, The Green Party was in favour of Falmer.

Remember when Lewes District Council filed for opposition to the plan with a number of co-signatories? These included Falmer Parish Council, the Society of Sussex Downsmen, Friends of the Earth, Campaign to Protect Rural England and many others. Two groups absent who had no intention of being co-signatories were The Green Party of England & Wales and the Brighton & Hove Green Party, simply because they were not opposed to the stadium.

There, marked your card. :)

Thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jesus, all the best to him, Stat. That is bloody awful.

As is this stupid, backward petition.

Cheers, after his paper round he headed off to be presented with the captain's armband, for the forthcoming season.
So she'd have needed to wheel spin across his knees for him to miss the proudest day in his life.

Woman has already paid for the damage she caused to his bike

He's getting a 3 figure Mavic front wheel on his Carrera mountain/hybrid 'work bike'!!! (Geek humour)

It seems all the years of riding with him barking words to the effect of:-

'concentrate these people can kill you and not even notice'

paid off as he bailed out before he followed his bike under her wheels.

Finally spoken to him (I'm at work)

He was waiting at a t junction to turn right into traffic, she cut the corner across the road, driving straight at him and didn't notice him.

He's 6'1.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have the OP on ignore. Is there any merit in temporarily unblocking to see what this presumably load of old bollocks is all about?

I have him on ignore too. But you know you can click to view an individual post, even with someone else's reply?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So proud of my son, he lost his cherry this morning.

It's was the first time he got knocked off his bike by a car, while doing his paper round.

A special day.

Thankfully he's fine, just some deeper than normal scratches and bruises.

His bikes totalled as Mrs Gammon drove over it.

She stopped, then carried on.
Then got out of her car to see Jnr lying in the road.
'Oh I thought I hit something, was it you?'.
'Im so sorry, I'm still half asleep'.

She's paying for the damage and is worried Jnr is in shock because 'i really am shook up my this'.

Other car driver witness kept out of his car and apparently went nuts at Mrs Gammon.

Obviously thoughts and prayers and with the car and Mrs Gammon.

Best wishes to your boy.

No doubt you have not embellished that story in the slightest is there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here