Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Joe Biden

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Polling of people planning to vote for Biden has been fairly consistent in their reasoning for this. For most of them, all that matters is that he's not Donald Trump.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Michael Moore's Farenheit 11/9 is a fascinating watch, the Trump victory caught everyone off guard, especially those packed into Clinton's 'election night victory rally', but Moore shows exactly how it happened, getting voters out who effectively hadn't voted for 8 years, but can lightening strike twice?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Michael Moore's Farenheit 11/9 is a fascinating watch, the Trump victory caught everyone off guard, especially those packed into Clinton's 'election night victory rally', but Moore shows exactly how it happened, getting voters out who effectively hadn't voted for 8 years, but can lightening strike twice?

A free tin of Skoal Bandits and an upgrade to a double wide trailer for every vote cast and Trump is a shoe-in again, unfortunately.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is an unbelievable cock-up by the democrats. What is wrong with American politics? They are giving that idiot another chance.
I would love to criticise the US for a straight choice between two WASP septuagenarians, one of whom is a proven moron and one of whom couldn't be any more bland than he is - as being the best a country of 370m can offer.

But given the state of our own country and government, none of us are really in a position to do so. We probably have the worst government any of us have ever seen. We are in no position to criticise others.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Polling of people planning to vote for Biden has been fairly consistent in their reasoning for this. For most of them, all that matters is that he's not Donald Trump.

I'm not taking sides or getting sucked into believing any journalistic view of this as gospel, but wasn't Biden involved in some sort of sexual abuse stuff on woman however long ago it was?
Also, wasn't Donald Trump accusing him of paedophilia a few months back?

What was all that about?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They're taking the same risk they took last time - it doesn't matter how dull our candidate is, they can't lose to Trump. Second time lucky?

I assume the Dems plan would be for Biden to win, serve one term then step aside to allow Harris to lead their ticket in 2024.

I'd rather see Biden win than Trump, but it says very little for the whole American political system that that is the choice on offer.

I disagree. Clinton was not dull and very polarising and unpopular amongst a large number of Americans. This resulted in many people that would have normally voted democrat either voting for an independent or not at all. Biden with Harris is a fairly safe, if dull, candidate that isn't Trump.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I would love to criticise the US for a straight choice between two WASP septuagenarians, one of whom is a proven moron and one of whom couldn't be any more bland than he is - as being the best a country of 370m can offer.

But given the state of our own country and government, none of us are really in a position to do so. We probably have the worst government any of us have ever seen. We are in no position to criticise others.

Aye the choice we had at the last election was between crap and crap

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Trojan horse for Kamala Harris as next President; a mixed-race person, who also has the audacity to be female, is probably a step too far right now.

for months didnt seem they anyone had clue who would be running mate. saw commentry they'd bring in one of the other losing candidates or even Michelle Obama. Biden as a front and expected to step aside soon after winning is a theme.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Trump will smash 'Sleepy Joe' on the debates as he has no charisma, and as stated above seems to have some cognitive failing's, which Trump will exploit and win the election.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Aye the choice we had at the last election was between crap and crap

No, it was between unpopular and a complete ********. The ******** was promising to slash taxes all over the place and to hell with the consequences, plus he was quite funny his one liners and his quips. Unpopular had been unpopular for a decade or two, but only narrowly lost the nomination to Obama in 2008. It wasn't unreasonable to have thought that a woman who had worked publically for decades and had been Secretary of State would be elected president. She is arguably the most qualified candidate in modern history up against the least qualified ever, period. But Trump tapped into the bigoted and racist heartland and got the job done, despite not wanting to win and receiving around 2 million fewer votes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He will no doubt lose the populist vote again as the polls suggest but given they way the system works I imagine he will win the electoral vote again and that is all that really matters right now.

as i understand it, a lot of the swing states are very much up for grabs. this is why Trump is fighting the mail in vote, fears stay at home voters will make a difference.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
No, it was between unpopular and a complete ********. The ******** was promising to slash taxes all over the place and to hell with the consequences, plus he was quite funny his one liners and his quips. Unpopular had been unpopular for a decade or two, but only narrowly lost the nomination to Obama in 2008. It wasn't unreasonable to have thought that a woman who had worked publically for decades and had been Secretary of State would be elected president. She is arguably the most qualified candidate in modern history up against the least qualified ever, period. But Trump tapped into the bigoted and racist heartland and got the job done, despite not wanting to win and receiving around 2 million fewer votes.

He won the working class, blue collar America because of people like you, sneering down your noses at them. Not because he tapped into any latent rascism. I suppose its an easy and convenient excuse for the Democrats and friends though. See if that works in November.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really do not understand the comments in this thread. Biden has served the American people for decades, he is well versed in how government should be run and was part of the administration which turned the country around after the financial crash of 2008 and built the prosperous economy Trump inherited and has flushed down the toilet. The choice is very clear and it should be easy for all Americans to realise the options on the table in this election.

Sleepy Joe. He's older than Trump. The US presidential election is a beauty contests. It has little or nothing to do with reality.

I see the Democrat party machine at the moment in much the same way I saw the 'Remain' campaign (I was and am a remainer), lacking any sort of strategy other than:

'Vote Trump/Brexit and all sorts of horrible things will happen' and
'Look at Trump/Farage, aren't they a pair of horrible *****?' and
'Vote for Joe/Remain and that means, er, we get rid of Trump/Brexit!'

Don't get me wrong. I think Trump is the sludge laden verdigris at the bottom of the barrel. But you have to be seen to be offering something believably better to win the presidency. Trump is a tweeting child, but some feel he has delivered for them.

And some still fear the 'loony muslim-loving crooked Hilary infested' Democrats. The Democrats need to dispel the fear, and show a better way, to win. Mocking the liars (and they are liars) is not enough, as those of us who mocked Farage and Boris know only too well (I'm still on the Brexit analogy here - I realise that Farage is a serial failure as an actual parliamentary candidate).

Joe may win in the end but if I planned to give someone a kicking in November I'd be making sure my boots had good steel toe caps. I wouldn't be tooling myself up with a pair of soft slippers :shrug:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Trump will do something stupid in October to get himself re-elected like nuking North Korea, or China, or Russia, to get the thickos thinking America is great again and vote for him.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Trump will smash 'Sleepy Joe' on the debates as he has no charisma, and as stated above seems to have some cognitive failing's, which Trump will exploit and win the election.

Tragic irony that 'cognitive failings' is mentioned in a sentence containing the word 'Trump' and yet isn't aimed at him.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I disagree. Trump has massive cognitive failings of his own, he's a shadow of the man he was in 2016 and I think the debates could show this up very badly for him. The way he acted when he was being led out by the Secret Service after those gunshots the other week looked like taking my dementia-suffering grandmother to Sainsburys, he didn't have a clue where he was, who these people were or what he was being asked to do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here