Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Parliamentary etiquette (a non-Ben White and therefore extremely boring thread)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Mrs KZN raised concerns with our local MP (Conservative) about the proposed changes at Durham Bus Station which is in a neighbouring constituency. His team replied saying that as Durham Bus Station is not in his constituency he cannot answer the concerns and suggested contacting the neighbouring constituencies MP (Labour). They have replied answering my wife's concerns but started off by pointing the following:

"I have to say, it’s highly irregular for an MP to pass on their constituent’s concerns to another MP outside of their constituency. Strict Parliamentary protocol dictates that MPs can only assist people who live in their constituency. Having said that, we didn’t want to get you involved in going backwards and forwards between offices, so we will answer this as best we can."

I would have thought that if our MP had stuck his oar into a neighbouring constituencies business, they would have something to say about that too.

So who is right? Should our MP have gone to them to get the answers and reported back to us instead of sending us straight to them (arguably the more efficient way to get an answer)?

Told you it was boring.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mrs KZN raised concerns with our local MP (Conservative) about the proposed changes at Durham Bus Station which is in a neighbouring constituency. His team replied saying that as Durham Bus Station is not in his constituency he cannot answer the concerns and suggested contacting the neighbouring constituencies MP (Labour). They have replied answering my wife's concerns but started off by pointing the following:

"I have to say, it’s highly irregular for an MP to pass on their constituent’s concerns to another MP outside of their constituency. Strict Parliamentary protocol dictates that MPs can only assist people who live in their constituency. Having said that, we didn’t want to get you involved in going backwards and forwards between offices, so we will answer this as best we can."

I would have thought that if our MP had stuck his oar into a neighbouring constituencies business, they would have something to say about that too.

So who is right? Should our MP have gone to them to get the answers and reported back to us instead of sending us straight to them (arguably the more efficient way to get an answer)?

Told you it was boring.

TL;DR beyond the words 'Bus Station' but certainly LOOKS extremely boring :moo:

D

Deleted member 2719

Told you it was boring.

Now if you had put this in the bear pit, we could have livened it up a bit. Alas, you didn't, yep it could be a very boring thread.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is far from being boring.

I would suggest that Mrs KZN writes to her Tory MP again, seeking his view on why he broke Parliamentary etiquette by asking her to seek comments from a Labour MP.

To liven things up, I would suggest copying in the Chief Whip to the letter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Told you it was boring.

Seems to make sense to me. All you're doing is asking your elected representative to make enquiries on your behalf. Wouldn't necessarily describe it as sticking the oar in!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I would suggest that Mrs KZN writes to her Tory MP again, seeking his view on why he broke Parliamentary etiquette by asking her to seek comments from a Labour MP.

She could refer it to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards which I believe is Chris Bryant. I'm sure he'll appreciate the opportunity of putting a Tory mp in their place!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

It was about proposed plans by Durham County Council but outside of his constituency. Should an MP concern themselves with service provision outside of their constituency? Has our MP missed an opportunity here to start a potential binfest?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is apparently correct etiquette, rules even, that MPs are only to answer questions from own constituents, about issue in their constituency. which means its fair game to have moan about national policy on schools, economy, health, but not on the state of the A27 on the way to work two constituencies over. we should expect our MPs to work together on county, regional issues, which ever party. sad that isnt the case too often.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Told you it was boring.
Not boring at all. This is the NSC high water mark since the whole ****ing White saga began.

I reckon it's fair enough to Palm you off onto another constituency tbh. If I was member for Hove and some chump started moaning at me about Madeira Terrace I'd tell them where to swivel.

Not that your fine lady was moaning :moo:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Not boring at all. This is the NSC high water mark since the whole ****ing White saga began.

I reckon it's fair enough to Palm you off onto another constituency tbh. If I was member for Hove and some chump started moaning at me about Madeira Terrace I'd tell them where to swivel.

Not that your fine lady was moaning :moo:

Of course she was! Legitimately though :smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Last time I tried to get my MP to support anything (can't remember what), he said he couldn't/wouldn't as he had been a PPS to somebody and was hoping to be one again, so was not going to express an opinion.

He lost his next election.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Deal with MP's enquiries all the time. Your MP should have approached looked into your enquiry and contracted the relevant person on your behalf.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
bwhite.jpg

Lets not rush any judgements or jump to conclusions until He says something about it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ok, thanks very much.

No worries. I would add, you'd be better just contacting your local authority or district council who is responsible, all you'll likely get from an MP involvement is the same response from the correct person but it'll take much longer to get to you in my experience. For something like that your local councillor or your Lead Member for transport would be your best bet

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Pretty sure your MP can get involved in anything that affects his or her constituents, no matter where the situation is geographically situated.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here