Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Grounds for Optimism

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was just looking around the net for 5 mins and came across the Sussex Live website. Normally awful site but it was doing a filler piece about the 'team' we might put out v Chelsea in the opening fixture. Now there are a few what if's and maybe's in this but this is actually possible. IF and its a big if it happens this is a real side who could not only give Chelsea a game but could really put a push on for top 10. We've been talking about this all summer but when you see this side on paper how far would we have come in such a short time?

Brighton's XI: Ryan; Lamptey, White, Dunk, Webster; Burn; Bissouma, Propper; Lallana; Maupay, Nunez

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Would be my starting XI, but with Connolly instead of a player we don't own, or Trossard/Mac Allister if we only play one up top.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Would be my starting XI, but with Connolly instead of a player we don't own, or Trossard/Mac Allister if we only play one up top.

The actual starters are almost irrelevant and you are of course right we may not sign these exact players but when you look at our options in the existing squad with more signings to come I don't think we as a club have ever been in a better place...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think the short pre season does us a massive favour this year. A few other teams desperately need to add some quality to their squad.

We finished last season in decent form and we've already added Lallana and Veltman so with this squad I'm fairly confident of a reasonable place in the league. Maybe not to 10 but not bottom 4 either

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I am more worried a lot of fans are getting carried away with where we are and will turn if we hang around the bottom three for a while.

there you go again, worrying about everyone else worrying.

we're not, it's just you....

cuddle?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am more worried a lot of fans are getting carried away with where we are and will turn if we hang around the bottom three for a while.

Be nice to think that we’ll actually be in the Amex to do our moaning and groaning though wouldn’t it ? :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was just looking around the net for 5 mins and came across the Sussex Live website. Normally awful site but it was doing a filler piece about the 'team' we might put out v Chelsea in the opening fixture. Now there are a few what if's and maybe's in this but this is actually possible. IF and its a big if it happens this is a real side who could not only give Chelsea a game but could really put a push on for top 10. We've been talking about this all summer but when you see this side on paper how far would we have come in such a short time?

Brighton's XI: Ryan; Lamptey, White, Dunk, Webster; Burn; Bissouma, Propper; Lallana; Maupay, Nunez

Not sure why people want Webster to move from the right to the left of a three. Surely better to have Dunk playing left, with White in the middle?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I am the opposite in fact. I am not worried about people worrying, I am worried about people being too optimistic!

this is the best position we've been in for a long while, possibly ever

it's time too be optimistic when we're equal top :D

obvs, better if the window was closed, but where do you think we'll end up this season?

me? 10-12th :cool:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In some ways I would prefer us not to be if there is moaning and groaning. The players did really well post-restart without the moaning.

Have you followed the Albion for long? Moaning is what we do....from about two mins in :smile:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not sure why people want Webster to move from the right to the left of a three. Surely better to have Dunk playing left, with White in the middle?

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this.

I still don't have an answer i'm happy with

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I would LOVE 10-12th. But, I think anything outside the bottom three is also extremely good and will not start to moan if 10-12th looks like not happening. That is my worry, if we sit 15-18th come new year people will start to moan and create a negative atmosphere.

i shouldn't worry about that, there isn't going to be an atmosphere :albion2::albion2:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Grounds for Optimism? Wasn't that a big hit for Ian Dury and The Blockheads?

reasons-to-be-cheerful-the-best-of-ian-dury-5354e3ae30cbb.jpg Close enough. :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this.

I still don't have an answer i'm happy with

Potter's problem, eh?

Like trying to find places for Alzate, Molumby, Connolly, Mac Allister, Clarke and Trossard in the OP's 'Brighton's strongest team'.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Re: positions at the back. What’s the problem? Webster has played on the left of a back three, White plays on the left of a back two, Clarke and BDB are left footed. One certainty is Dunk plays in the middle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Re: positions at the back. What’s the problem? Webster has played on the left of a back three, White plays on the left of a back two, Clarke and BDB are left footed. One certainty is Dunk plays in the middle.

There's a certainty?

Okey doke ....................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here