Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - Staying Up Tracker - 2020/21 - Game 38 Update - 1 OVER

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There are always one or two teams that do better than "expected", last season it was Sheff Utd, the season before Burnley. But the general predictability of the league still stands. Aston Villa and Everton may be a bit rogue, but would you bet against the normal top 6 or 7 taking their place. One might drop out but I doubt it will be more than that come the end of the season and don't forget because we are a bottom team we are expecting to win at home and draw away effectively against all of the bottom 11 other than ourselves. So the top 9 teams are excluded. This therefore means there will always be 2/3 teams who get out of this bottom 10 but don't make the top 6/7 and generally they change each year.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yes, I understand all of this, you patronising ****, hence why I said "I get the reasoning". Nontheless, it still feels strange.

:FFSPuncheon

well that's rather pleasant. Nice that there is civility on this board still, resorting t to name calling really enhances your opinion.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
well that's rather pleasant. Nice that there is civility on this board still, resorting t to name calling really enhances your opinion.

tenor.gif

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If you ask (or go anywhere near) the question on this thread.....
Then you are gonna get some patronising responses.

Can't wait until we get to squeaky bum time... always draws out the weak and foolish posters.
Then it's a bloodbath.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Having a "staying up tracker" highlights what is somewhat depressing about being in the Premier League. Best we can hope for season after season is to avoid relegation.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
That's the reality of where we are at the moment. It's not anything to be ashamed about in my opinion. Obviously we have a longer term ambition, but we are up against a load of teams doing the same thing - so there is only so much we can influence.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's the reality of where we are at the moment. It's not anything to be ashamed about in my opinion. Obviously we have a longer term ambition, but we are up against a load of teams doing the same thing - so there is only so much we can influence.

We are up against teams with the same ambition. Most, however, are adopting a different strategy, which is to pay to secure that position as early as possible. Our strategy is oriented more towards the future, and it'll start to yield once we start selling players to top ten clubs, which will come soon enough, perhaps even in January but, if not, I suspect it'll come next summer.
Lamptey, White and Bissouma are the most likely candidates to go first, with Maupay, Trossard, Alzate and Webster in the next tier.
We then have a whole host of candidates that look as though they have the ability to push into the 25 man squad, first 18, and starting 11, with those signings made in the latest window amongst their midst (Zeqiri, Modler, Karbownik) alongside those with real potential in the u23s and out on loan (Sanchez, Sanders, Roberts, Molumby).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just for good order, this is how everyone lines up after the latest round of games. A respectable 11th for us.

Attachments

• NSC Other 5a.png
    NSC Other 5a.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 282

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Having a "staying up tracker" highlights what is somewhat depressing about being in the Premier League. Best we can hope for season after season is to avoid relegation.

Realistically there are only 9 (at best) teams for whom that is not the primary objective (the big 6, Leicester, Everton and Wolves).

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The issue with the stay up points just now is that I’m not sure home or away count for anything. We can expect away games to yield a higher return and home to be less than desired.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The issue with the stay up points just now is that I’m not sure home or away count for anything. We can expect away games to yield a higher return and home to be less than desired.

The evidence from the post-lockdown games suggests there is definitely still an advantage for home teams.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I thought the same, but this is true...

The evidence from the post-lockdown games suggests there is definitely still an advantage for home teams.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A defeat to West Brom would be a hammer blow and knock us a bit off kilter.

A victory and we gain a bit of momentum for a push up the table.

In feel-good optimism terms it is a 6-pointer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Home advantage is a lot more than crowds. Friend of mine (design lecturer) did a research paper on spatial awareness and how familiar visual cues around you help give you that slight marginal gain, whether your own orientation on the pitch, or knowing that the long diagonal ball you're supposed to hit you aim for a sign or object you see game after game at home. There is then of course the whole sports psychology around routine and repeating the same preparations time after time. This obviously is much more familiar at home. These all represent small gains that I think still lead to home advantage even without a home crowd.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Home advantage is a lot more than crowds. Friend of mine (design lecturer) did a research paper on spatial awareness and how familiar visual cues around you help give you that slight marginal gain, whether your own orientation on the pitch, or knowing that the long diagonal ball you're supposed to hit you aim for a sign or object you see game after game at home. There is then of course the whole sports psychology around routine and repeating the same preparations time after time. This obviously is much more familiar at home. These all represent small gains that I think still lead to home advantage even without a home crowd.

As evidenced by numerous expertly guided Palace Hoofs up to the top of their Stands on Sunday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here