Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I guess if his father wasn’t going to push his son to go elsewhere before this thread, he will now

Then he is a melt.
What is this guys problem?! Roberts is 18 and 4ft3. Does Dad really think he should be playing for our first team?!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Heard talk that Roberts didn’t go on the training camp in Scotland. Not sure if he wasn’t asked or if he declined. Either one sort of helps explain his dad’s tweet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pretty disappointing attitude. We must be tempted to get rid.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Heard talk that Roberts didn’t go on the training camp in Scotland. Not sure if he wasn’t asked or if he declined. Either one sort of helps explain his dad’s tweet.
Might be because he's about to go out on loan?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We should really leave the relatives of players alone

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mentioned on another thread, this season could be really key in terms of how we set our stall out for our young players. With White and Molumby having great seasons last year and Alzate breaking into our first team, we have to show our young players currently in development that they will get a chance. We absolutely must give game time to White, Molumny and Alzate this season. Otherwise youngsters like Roberts probably will look at the number of CBs we have and think "I've got no chance".

Having said that, I think our process of sending players out on loan is brilliant. It's a really considered plan to get young players moving up in standard, and it appears to be working in terms of developing those palyers into quality prospects. The final peice of the jigsaw is first team football and we shouldn't be afraid to give it to those who earned their chance.

Chatting to a lifelong Coventry fan at work this morning - they are genuinely excited about Ostigard going to them. All sensible too - they recognise what were doing with our academy players, and see the fact that we've chosen to use them for development as a hugely positive endorsement of what Robins is doing there.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Chatting to a lifelong Coventry fan at work this morning - they are genuinely excited about Ostigard going to them. All sensible too - they recognise what were doing with our academy players, and see the fact that we've chosen to use them for development as a hugely positive endorsement of what Robins is doing there.

I think that's a great move for him. It seems a really good fit for all parties. Again another player with bags of potential and it will be exciting to see how he progresses. If he has a good spell at Coventry, from our point of view we'd be looking to send other players there in the future. Obviously thats dependent on Coventry's achievements. There may come a time when they don't want to loan players to develope them for us. But at the moment it's certainly a good arrangement for both clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think that's a great move for him. It seems a really good fit for all parties. Again another player with bags of potential and it will be exciting to see how he progresses. If he has a good spell at Coventry, from our point of view we'd be looking to send other players there in the future. Obviously thats dependent on Coventry's achievements. There may come a time when they don't want to loan players to develope them for us. But at the moment it's certainly a good arrangement for both clubs.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'sent to Coventry' :lolol: :thumbsup:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
[A lot of people in this thread are making a lot of strong assumptions about a man based on a couple of little comments on social media.

It’s not great, but it’s not like it’s Haydon himself bitching about the club.

Correct, but this is precisely why in this day age footballers, especially upcoming have to be super careful about their social media interactions.

For example, this thread wouldn’t exist if Hayden’s dad had said nothing.

I’m sure he’s looking out for his boy, but at the same time may have been a bit hasty in being publicly critical of the club. Make an anonymous account if you want to discuss such things.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Moves on?! Why on earth would we allow our best prospect in his age group move on when we're so steadfastly defending our interests with Ben White?! What a bonkers suggestion, unless I'm missing something?

For what it's worth - I would loan him to Sunderland. Big stadium, big club experience and the pressure will really help his development. I'm sure he's as good as we think he is, and it would benefit us more, longer term, that he players for a club with a stature similar to ours.

I hope not. Absolute car crash of a club

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
I see that England u19s have three games in early September (2nd, 5th, 8th). Anyone know if Roberts and for that matter any of the other Brighton boys have been selected? (Jenks, Weir, Rushworth). Also might have something to do with why Roberts apparently isn't in Dundee..

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Ok, maybe he shouldn't have piped up, not sure what he was hoping to achieve considering he has a prominent player in our youth set up.
However, what he says about developing White is correct to a degree. We haven't developed him over the last 3 years, what we HAVE done is ensure he has had the best chances to progress with the team he joined on loan.

So it would have been nice if he acknowledged what Brighton are trying to do. What does he expect Haydon to do? Train with the first team and then hardly play for the rest of the season? He is not going to develop much is he and he'll be frustrated.

The best thing for Haydon now is to sign a new contract and then go out on loan to League 1/2, it's then up to him how much effort he puts in. Follow in Ben White's footsteps, he showed how it should be done.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Ok, maybe he shouldn't have piped up, not sure what he was hoping to achieve considering he has a prominent player in our youth set up.
However, what he says about developing White is correct to a degree. We haven't developed him over the last 3 years, what we HAVE done is ensure he has had the best chances to progress with the team he joined on loan.

So it would have been nice if he acknowledged what Brighton are trying to do. What does he expect Haydon to do? Train with the first team and then hardly play for the rest of the season? He is not going to develop much is he and he'll be frustrated.

The best thing for Haydon now is to sign a new contract and then go out on loan to League 1/2, it's then up to him how much effort he puts in. Follow in Ben White's footsteps, he showed how it should be done.

Playing for the u23s at 17-18 is a very good sign that he is rated by Brighton, so i think they have tried to push him on imho. Yes i'm sure we could have done more. But you have to consider there are a lots of young impressionable lads at the club. We don't really want to make him more entitled than the other lads. Who parents equally feel that their boy deserves better. Years ago it would be a tremendous honour to play for a league club, let alone a Premier club.I get his Dads point .But as i said there are plenty of other parents thinking my Son is a good player also. So to Jaydens Dad, Just give it a little more time please. Your son is in very good hands :smile:

From the secret scout "Brighton defender Haydon Roberts reads the game superbly but the 17-year-old still needs to develop physically" which is a very fair assessment. (Hayden was 18 years old in May)

Last edited:

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
From the secret scout "Brighton defender Haydon Roberts reads the game superbly but the 17-year-old still needs to develop physically" which is a very fair assessment. (Hayden was 18 years old in May)

Fair comment. Long term he needs to play in midfield, not as a CB. He was centre mid in the Hove Park school team which reached national cup final at Reading's Madejski.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Only just realised he's left footed. Maybe he's higher up the list than we think he is as cover for left sided CB in back three and LB in back four with Bernardo supposively off...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here