Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He’s going to start in the Preston game.

[tweet]1308652521582452736[/tweet]

[tweet]1308652522962378752[/tweet]

[tweet]1308652524220674048[/tweet]

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Only just realised he's left footed. Maybe he's higher up the list than we think he is as cover for left sided CB in back three and LB in back four with Bernardo supposively off...

Summed up very nicely - we don't have a clue about anything, we just speculate, ruminate and guess.:lol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Thought he showed a lot of promise tonight. Would be good to see him sign a renewed contract and then loan him to a competitive Championship side.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thought he showed a lot of promise tonight. Would be good to see him sign a renewed contract and then loan him to a competitive Championship side.

He fitted in nicely alongside Burn. Looked comfortable on the ball and has a nice range of passing.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He does look so promising, real confidence and ability on the ball.

Watching him and reading/listening to some of the comments about him, it will be interesting to see what position he ends up playing. Unless he has a growth spurt (which he might still), I’m not convinced it will be centre back long term and he could become a left back or defensive midfielder. Seems to have the ability to play there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wonder if this turns out to be the one that got away. Chelsea did it with Lamptey

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
One bizarre header, one excellent turn as well towards the end - I think he did okay.

I don’t think he’ll stay, but equally I don’t think he’ll play at the highest level as a CB.

I wonder if he’ll end up being a defensive midfielder as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Hopefully there is a new contract on the table ready to be signed. It seems Roberts is at the top of the promising young centre back pile with Ostigard. With White, Alzate, Connolly and Lamptey all involved with the first team, as well as Molumby, there I s a clear path to the first team and with a back five there is no better time to be a CB at Brighton.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Thought he did ok. Looks very short for a CB though, although maybe that was just what playing alongside Burn does for you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thought he did ok. Looks very short for a CB though, although maybe that was just what playing alongside Burn does for you.

He is short for a CB but the same height as Ake so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. You've got to be damn good to make it as a 5ft10 centre back in the Premier League though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From the club pics this morning, he is still training with the 1st team.

Clearly his days with the U23s are over?

Must be a loan or squad place.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
From the club pics this morning, he is still training with the 1st team.

Clearly his days with the U23s are over?

Must be a loan or squad place.

Doesn't need a squad place

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He would probably need a loan to the Championship.

Problem is that there are 10 or so bloated squads in the PL and absolutely no money in the Championship.

mpigi78ff4i71.jpg

According to Transfermarkt, Championship clubs have only spent £27m this summer. Considering it is normally the 4th biggest league in the world in terms of attendance & full attendances are expected for this season, its a remarkably low figure that tells quite a bit about the economic situation down there.

Difficult situation for any PL clubs (Brighton probably being one) wanting to loan players to a Championship club that could pay the wages.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Problem is that there are 10 or so bloated squads in the PL and absolutely no money in the Championship.

According to Transfermarkt, Championship clubs have only spent £27m this summer. Considering it is normally the 4th biggest league in the world in terms of attendance & full attendances are expected for this season, its a remarkably low figure that tells quite a bit about the economic situation down there.

Difficult situation for any PL clubs (Brighton probably being one) wanting to loan players to a Championship club that could pay the wages.

Great article in The Times yesterday explaining why the transfer window has been so slow. So many moves dependent on players first being shifted out to free up funds/salaries and nothing is moving. Will be a right old bun fight towards the end of the window. And also goes to explain why us not signing a striker is not a recruitment team issue, it's more a case of the entire system being bunged up. I know a few moves appear to have happened swiftly, but teams have sometimes a dozen or more players they are trying to hsift out that no one wants and/or can afford.

It's worth looking out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

View attachment 139577

I think that would only be an issue for us if we were looking to loan out a senior pro, who was under contract but currently surplus to our needs (such as the previous loans out, of Knockaert, Norwood and Duffy). If we are looking for a loan of a promising youngster, to gain experience, then we would more often than not, be expecting to still contribute some of their wages - which in the case of Roberts, would be fairly modest anyway.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think that would only be an issue for us if we were looking to loan out a senior pro, who was under contract but currently surplus to our needs (such as the previous loans out, of Knockaert, Norwood and Duffy). If we are looking for a loan of a promising youngster, to gain experience, then we would more often than not, be expecting to still contribute some of their wages - which in the case of Roberts, would be fairly modest anyway.

Or it could be that he is training with the first team squad, because that is where he is going to be this season. At 17 Roberts was bossing the U23s. A difficult season in a makeshift defence for Rochdale (they had loads of injuries), will not have turned him into a bad player. I still expect him to be playing for the first team at some point this season, why would Potter not want a left footed centre back, who is able to carry the ball forward and pass accurately short and long?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here