Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Noticed he didn't feature for the under 23's in their friendly despite using 22 players.

Anyone know if he's injured or maybe training with the first team? Or maybe Leeds have finally got the picture re: White and we're lending them another centre back for a season so we can repeat all this again next pre season?!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We can pick whatever League 1 or 2 club we want. I think it's really that simple - there isn't a club in those divisions who won't take whatever player we offer them for a season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He was training with the first team during restart. There's been a lot of interest in him from other clubs so far this summer. Very likely he will get loaned out or move on in this window (if he moves it will be because he wants to, not because we are getting rid of).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
"Blackpool, managed by Liverpool’s former under-23s head coach Neil Critchley, are interested in taking him on loan but face competition from two of their League One rivals in AFC Wimbledon, where Brighton Under-23s midfielder Max Sanders spent last season on loan, and Sunderland."

As per Naylor in The Athletic

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
He was training with the first team during restart. There's been a lot of interest in him from other clubs so far this summer. Very likely he will get loaned out or move on in this window (if he moves it will be because he wants to, not because we are getting rid of).

I really hope we don't move him on permanently yet, he looks incredibly promising.

And my 4 year old boy namesake would be very upset, he's desperate for him to make it in to the side! It's bad enough trying to explain the White shenanigans to my 6 year old Ben, these things are very serious to kids of that age!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Noticed he didn't feature for the under 23's in their friendly despite using 22 players.

Anyone know if he's injured or maybe training with the first team? Or maybe Leeds have finally got the picture re: White and we're lending them another centre back for a season so we can repeat all this again next pre season?!

He didn't feature last night, because he won't be ready to play. He was in the training bubble for the lock-down games, so like the rest of the first team squad, will only have returned to training yesterday. Same applies to Teddy Jenks, Alex Cochrane and Taylor Richards - none of whom appeared either.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Moves on?! Why on earth would we allow our best prospect in his age group move on when we're so steadfastly defending our interests with Ben White?! What a bonkers suggestion, unless I'm missing something?

For what it's worth - I would loan him to Sunderland. Big stadium, big club experience and the pressure will really help his development. I'm sure he's as good as we think he is, and it would benefit us more, longer term, that he players for a club with a stature similar to ours.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We can pick whatever League 1 or 2 club we want. I think it's really that simple - there isn't a club in those divisions who won't take whatever player we offer them for a season.

We also want to them to play them of course. Its important to select the right level for where Haydon is at his stage of development

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
"Blackpool, managed by Liverpool’s former under-23s head coach Neil Critchley, are interested in taking him on loan but face competition from two of their League One rivals in AFC Wimbledon, where Brighton Under-23s midfielder Max Sanders spent last season on loan, and Sunderland."

As per Naylor in The Athletic

I'm a little surprised by that, I thought he looked ready for a Championship side. Still, can't argue with the decisions we make on the pathway for our young players so obviously he's not quite ready for that level yet.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
He didn't feature last night, because he won't be ready to play. He was in the training bubble for the lock-down games, so like the rest of the first team squad, will only have returned to training yesterday. Same applies to Teddy Jenks, Alex Cochrane and Taylor Richards - none of whom appeared either.

Very good point, didn't think about the other three just noticed his name missing as I always look out for him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We also want to them to play them of course. Its important to select the right level for where Haydon is at his stage of development

Do you think there's a chance he won't play for a club at that level? I think he's every bit as good as we think he is, so he'll go somewhere and be straight in the team, like Ben White was. Last summer there were people who didn't think he'd be an automatic pick, including Leeds fans. How quickly they realised the reality.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I like the idea of Blackpool. Windswept northern hole. Horrendous playing surface. Dire facilities. Toughen the lad up. I like my centre backs streetwise, grizzled and gnarly. Like Chiellini

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm a little surprised by that, I thought he looked ready for a Championship side. Still, can't argue with the decisions we make on the pathway for our young players so obviously he's not quite ready for that level yet.

He's very, very young - just turned 18. And he's not a particularly big lad, either.

League One, at a side who will play him, would be ideal, IMO.

theboybilly

Some talk about interest from Blackpool....

Haydon really is something special in my opinion. I watched him in the FA Youth Cup at Dagenham when he put in a MotM performance against a very fast, very skillful and also physical West Ham team. He then went on to completely snuff out the threat from a certain Mason Greenwood in the next round. He definately has a bright future

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Do you think there's a chance he won't play for a club at that level? I think he's every bit as good as we think he is, so he'll go somewhere and be straight in the team, like Ben White was. Last summer there were people who didn't think he'd be an automatic pick, including Leeds fans. How quickly they realised the reality.

We hope so, but any league 1 manager who puts in a teenage centre back with no league experience is taking a risk. I don't know the Blackpool line up, but i'll guess he'll be displacing a centre back with 300 league appearances who's as tough as nails, ugly as **** and knows the league. Haydon's ability to bring the ball out from the back is probably less important on what is basically a sandpit.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Moves on?! Why on earth would we allow our best prospect in his age group move on when we're so steadfastly defending our interests with Ben White?! What a bonkers suggestion, unless I'm missing something?

For what it's worth - I would loan him to Sunderland. Big stadium, big club experience and the pressure will really help his development. I'm sure he's as good as we think he is, and it would benefit us more, longer term, that he players for a club with a stature similar to ours.

Let’s hope they ain’t as snotty as Leeds fans then :cool:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

He is only just 18. I'd imagine that, whilst he looks supremely talented, the club want him to get experience throughout the divisions, step-by-step, making it as smooth a transition to the Premier League and ultimately, a series of rejected bids from Leeds as possible.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
We hope so, but any league 1 manager who puts in a teenage centre back with no league experience is taking a risk. I don't know the Blackpool line up, but i'll guess he'll be displacing a centre back with 300 league appearances who's as tough as nails, ugly as **** and knows the league. Haydon's ability to bring the ball out from the back is probably less important on what is basically a sandpit.

Not with the salary cap being introduced. Roberts wouldn't contribute as players under the age of 21 are exempt. It would allow a team like Sunderland, who currently have a first team squad of 18, to fill in the gaps on a team sheet whilst still being able to employ Will Grigg etc. on a reasonable wage.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Was chatting to a family member of his who said that. There's a lot of interest in him and lots of talk of clubs nationwide and from Europe scouting him. His contract is up next summer. Can see him thinking there are 6 other Brighton CBs before him and taking his chances elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here