Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our best 3 signings relative to the clubs standing?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What are the clubs best 3 signings, so pound for pound when we punched above our weight in the market?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Peter Suddaby - Not so much a wow moment when I heard but as soon as I saw him play it was the missing piece.
Vicente - Wow a world class player wants to play for us?!!!
Gus Poyet - Not a player I know but a real name to give hope for the season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From my outside perspective, Vicente was a pretty sick signing.. the type of stuff that really usually only happens in Football Manager.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vicente was a LUDICROUS signing - the sort you'd see in a film like Goal 2 and go "well that would never happen in real life, what a daft film".

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Vicente is number 1 for me. It was a crazy moment when they announced that

Then Lallana. As my 10 year old puts it 'he is the first player we have ever signed that I have heard of'

Then not sure whether it would be Zamora, Bridge or Upson. All we great players but coming to us on the way down when they didn't have a massive amount of options.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me, each had to lead to a promotion, so:

Lawrenson - sheer class, helped get us over the line.

Calderon - his u-turn in turning down Stains, was a huge boost. A good defender, but a brilliant marauding force in attack and creativity. Doubt that we would have been Champs in 2011 without him.

Muzza 2016 - we wouldn’t have made the PL.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
This fella was epic at the time

Edit. This post isn't about TINY COX!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bobby Smith, had played up front for England a little over a year before.
Mark Lawrenson, Bamber beat off Bob Paisley and Liverpool to sign him in 1977.(he allegedly did the Don King trick of getting him to sign a blank piece of paper)
Jimmy Case, his previous club game had been the 1981 European Cup Final against Real Madrid.

What would three comparable signings in todays market be?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Then Lallana. As my 10 year old puts it 'he is the first player we have ever signed that I have heard of'

Then not sure whether it would be Zamora, Bridge or Upson. All we great players but coming to us on the way down when they didn't have a massive amount of options.
Zamora did come to us, many years before he was 'on the way down'. One of my three, to be sure.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Crikey man he was 19 :lol:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Zamora did come to us, many years before he was 'on the way down'. One of my three, to be sure.

Well yes, however (and I was young at the time and have never actually lived in Brighton - so don't really remember) but I don't remember him being massively 'known' despite his goal scoring during his loan? I have always thought of it as a lower league transfer of a lad with massive potential but not a 'how the hell have we done that?' signing like Vicente was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here