Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Park and Cycle

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
If we do return to the Amex thinking about my transport arrangements. I want to give trains/buses a miss if possible. I'm thinking of driving, parking up and then cycling as an option. I would be coming south A23 and then east A27 (and return that way). I'm a relative novice but ok for a few miles and much prefer public bridleways/off road than to cycling on roads. Any suggestions?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Mmm, UK Autumn/Winter on a bike. Sounds like great fun.

cb1.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some park at Wild Park, but that gets busy. (no idea what it will be like after fans are back though)

You can park up on The Avenue, down in Moulescoomb, which is outside the parking exclusion zone and free and in plentiful supply. There is a bike lane going all the way up to the Bridge.

Could Woodingdean be an option as well? I've never done it.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
If we do return to the Amex thinking about my transport arrangements. I want to give trains/buses a miss if possible. I'm thinking of driving, parking up and then cycling as an option. I would be coming south A23 and then east A27 (and return that way). I'm a relative novice but ok for a few miles and much prefer public bridleways/off road than to cycling on roads. Any suggestions?

Not sure where you would park! But assuming you sort that out, use the cycle path on the A23 into Brighton, and then the cycle paths on the A27 along to Stanmer Park, That way you avoid having to go over the bloody great hill between A23 and Falmer, and you are on cycle path all the way. Once at Stanmer use the underpass to get to the stadium

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Some park at Wild Park, but that gets busy. (no idea what it will be like after fans are back though)

You can park up on The Avenue, down in Moulescoomb, which is outside the parking exclusion zone and free and in plentiful supply. There is a bike lane going all the way up to the Bridge.

Woodingdean is more a hill than you realise so for a cycling novice it's not ideal. Your suggestion of Moulescomb would be perfect though. Separated bike lane and about 2 miles each way from The Avenue area.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We'd love a 'park and cycle' facility.

Mithras House would have been ideal.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Thanks. Wondering if there is an option coming in north of Falmer?

There's not much the other side of Falmer other than Lewes. Could probably park up near the Kingston roundabout. That is an easy cycle with separated bike lane but few miles further than Moulsecomb and in the dark it will be DARK (if you do any evening matches). You'll need proper lights that light your way rather than lights that alert car drivers of your presence.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9466138 said:
Are you allowed to park at Stanmer on match days?

Usually stewards at the entrance to the park stopping people going in but I've never tried parking there so don't know what they ask drivers.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
How about leaving the car at Ditchling Beacon and then cycle along the southdowns way for about a mile, then take a right turn to drop down to the University and the Amex. Bridleway all the way.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

Thanks. You prompted me to look at the parking exclusion zone. https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/parking-zones For easier access to the A23, there may be other options (?) but your Moulescoomb suggestion is really helpful. As long as it's safe, I don't mind putting in extra peddle power

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Thanks. You prompted me to look at the parking exclusion zone. https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/parking-zones For easier access to the A23, there may be other options (?) but your Moulescoomb suggestion is really helpful. As long as it's safe, I don't mind putting in extra peddle power

I'm happy that you are finding a way to get back to the Amex you're comfortable with. We all have to grapple with our personal situation and personal tolerance of risk to get back to football now.

The cycle lane is wide, separated from the road, reasonably flat and feels safe. I do that route quite a lot. I'm guessing you have a rack or a fold up bike. Another option, is that there is a hire bike pick up point right at the start and end of this route, which is what I do when I park and cycle from there.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
How about leaving the car at Ditchling Beacon and then cycle along the southdowns way for about a mile, then take a right turn to drop down to the University and the Amex. Bridleway all the way.

Funnily enough I was just looking at places like Westmeston and Plumpton and saw a number of bridleways towards Falmer. https://footpathmap.co.uk/map/?zoom=13.192446105936332&lng=-0.06698&lat=50.88953 This option is appealing for nice, light days. Imagine it's up and down to get the heart rate going.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Funnily enough I was just looking at places like Westmeston and Plumpton and saw a number of bridleways towards Falmer. https://footpathmap.co.uk/map/?zoom=13.192446105936332&lng=-0.06698&lat=50.88953 This option is appealing for nice, light days. Imagine it's up and down to get the heart rate going.

Ditchling Beacon to Falmer is pretty straighforward, have run it dozens of times - a bit lumpy but not too bad and the surface is mostly OK too (half trail and half road roughly). Parking at the Beacon not always great at the weekends though - can be very busy (and you need to pay). You could try Clayton Windmills (adds about 2 miles but free parking, again surface is good), or Plumpton College car park where there is plenty of room to park (but which adds a big hill, obviously)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here