Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Will Smith and Kevin Hart to remake 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'

el punal

Why on earth do film companies do remakes of classic or very good films - it seems to be an American thing. If it worked first time around, hey, we’ll do it again. Unimaginative and lazy.

I give you shit remakes of the original : The Lady Killers, Wicker Man, Get Carter, The Italian Job, Cage aux Folles (The Birdcage)
and many more.

Then of course you’ve got the pre-quels, sequels, part 2,3,4, etc.

The only decent “part 2” that I can think of, off the top of my head, is Godfather 2. punish::rant:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
It won't be anywhere near as good as the original but it'll make a shed load of money.

For that reason I'm oot.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why on earth do film companies do remakes of classic or very good films - it seems to be an American thing. If it worked first time around, hey, we’ll do it again. Unimaginative and lazy.

I give you shit remakes of the original : The Lady Killers, Wicker Man, Get Carter, The Italian Job, Cage aux Folles (The Birdcage)
and many more.

Then of course you’ve got the pre-quels, sequels, part 2,3,4, etc.

The only decent “part 2” that I can think of, off the top of my head, is Godfather 2. punish::rant:

Add Ghostbusters and Karate Kid to that too.

There are sooo many films that could have been good but were botched and could use a remake and so many that just don't need to be touched. Hollywood *ALWAYS* picks from the wrong pile.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Never watched the remake of The Wicker Man but watched the original for the first time recently. What a ****ing odd film. Still don't know what I thought of it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Aliens
French Connection 2
Terminator 2
Toy Story 2

but on the whole they are crap.

and often very lazy e.g.

Gremlins 2, Crocodile Dundee 2, Short Circuit 2, Predator 2 and Babe Pig in the City ... make the film again, but set it in New York.

In fairness 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' was a remake and pretty good but I confidently predict that the remake of 'Trains, Planes and Automobiles' will be shit.

'they're not pillows'

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't mind remakes as much as most people. If nothing else they potentially serve as a vehicle to introduce younger audiences to the original version or to the work of the actors within it. If watching Kevin Hart and Will Smith do their thing leads to people discovering the utter joy that is John Candy then I'd argue it's worth it.

I used to get uppity about cover versions of songs. The Leona Lewis version of 'Hallelujah' drove me up the wall because people would think it was her original work. But then I had that same thought - if people like it, it might drive them to seek out the Leonard Cohen original. And then Jeff Buckley's cover.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I've always wondered why studios don't remake crap films, and try and make a better job of them second time around, rather than remaking films that are already decent.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Younger generations don't like watching older films. If it is good, great, if it is bad, move on. I really don't understand why people get upset over remakes.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Not a fan of either actor, both overrated imo.
Will be avoiding this.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In a population of 7 billion plus; surely we've not run out of new and interesting stories yet?

It's opportuntistic, quick buck, laziness. I've started watching a fair few foreign language films to get something fresh away from standard Hollywood dross.

Yes these, but more than any of them it's risk aversion. They know that a pre-existing brand will guarantee that it won't be a box office wipeout. They don't have to rely on such vagaries as positive reviews or word of mouth.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No.
One of my favourite comedies.
Luckily this remake will just disappear. Anyway PTA has already been remade - Due Date, anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here