Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jason Gillespie leaving Sussex at end of 2020 season

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was super excited when he came in but can't honestly say we've improved much, if at all, under his reign. Admittedly the quality of some of our youngsters and the terrible recruitment can't have helped.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh, it's not worked out for whatever reason. Our transitional period shows no sign of ending and he can advance his career more elsewhere I suppose

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not surprising. Hasn’t seemed especially motivated for a while, definitely lost that spark he had early doors here and at Yorkshire. That interview he did a few weeks ago where he was very ‘straight talking’ about a lot of the players was quite striking. It’s just not worked out as we all hoped and this seems the inevitable damp squib of a conclusion.

To be honest, I’m not worried about that at all, the bigger concern for me is the actual future of county cricket at the moment. I’m starting to wonder if we’ve seen the end of it as we know it? It was struggling before Covid, now it’s got huge financial and structural issues to resolve and I’m not sure how much appetite there is to save it?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We’ve had our moments in short form, but I will always judge our success in long form. To that end, he’s been a massive disappointment.
There may be various reasons for that, but I never really got the impression his heart was really in it. I can’t imagine him bollocking the players, for example.
He just seemed to be rather happy go lucky about the whole thing. That’s lovely, but he must have cost a lot of money so I’m sure The club expected more.
His exit Actually makes me a bit cross. It confirms what I suspected for a while - that his vision for the team was just a load of words.
When he joined it was billed (fairly) as Sussex landing one of the best coaches in the world. All in all he’s been pretty crap.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Think most fans & members knew the batting line up needed reinforcing but that has gone backwards to a level not seen since before the 1st CC title under his tenure.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
listened to his live interview during today's match vs Essex. Obviously didn't know this at the time but in hindsight he was very monotone, uninspiring, said how much he enjoyed his (Covid) time back in Oz with his family. Only mentioned Jordan and Wright in passing, no mention of Bopara or Evans. Spent most of the time saying how frustrated he was with players not getting big scores after reaching 50.

Bottom line is we've got to cut costs so let's wait for the reappointment of Mark Davis!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree with who ever saying we should be thinking about the existential threat to the county game rather than the personality (or otherwise) that might be in charge of Sussex

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not overly bothered by the news, he’s not exactly been a roaring success with us given the excitement of his appointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here