Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Back to the gym?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Did my first workout back in the gym today. Like many others I’ve improvised and carried on with exercise throughout but how lovely it was to have access to full kit again.
It was quiet, but that may be the time I went, clean with lots of systems in place and everyone following the cleaning regime perfectly. Overall a very positive experience.

Anyone else been back yet or will you stick to your own thing for the time being?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm weighing up whether I go back. During lockdown I've been playing/training for Beach Volleyball 3-4 times a week and going out on walks. Plus i've had a Tough Mudder monthly challenge (and might sign up for others) so trying to decide if i'd use it enough.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I haven't been back yet and have put on a few pounds over the lockdown which I need to get rid of. I'm thinking to go back at what I anticipate to be quiet times (e.g. maybe early Sunday morning) initially

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, I left it a month after opening before heading back. Was quite happy with my improvised routine of weights, cardio, yoga, flexibility training and a bit of meditation for good measure so will be keeping that all going with a couple of gym visits a week.

If you’re concerned I can say my experience was good and I’m glad I’m back. Will definitely be timing my visits carefully though, it’s a small gym that I can imagine would be a bit of a logistical puzzle when full.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've done absolutely eff all for the last 5 months and have put on about a stone as a result. Dipped my toe back in very gently yesterday evening by doing 6 circuits of the car park that i had taken my kids too to skateboard in:D

Don't see myself going back to the gym I used to go to as that was near work and i think i'll be in the office a lot less from now on. Might join a local gym but wanting to move house and money will be tight after.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Did my first workout back in the gym today. Like many others I’ve improvised and carried on with exercise throughout but how lovely it was to have access to full kit again.
It was quiet, but that may be the time I went, clean with lots of systems in place and everyone following the cleaning regime perfectly. Overall a very positive experience.

Anyone else been back yet or will you stick to your own thing for the time being?

Good to hear

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've been back to Worthing Leisure Centre for a few weeks - really good set up. They've moved a lot of gym equipment from all centres into the main sports hall over the basket ball courts. Everything spread out, a lot of cleaning products all over the place. You can book hour slots to manage numbers but has always seemed pretty quiet when I went. Also putting on a few 'virtual' classes in smaller rooms which I think has annoyed some instructions still on furlough

Classes are back and they've moved some stuff around, put spinning classes in what was the gym so well spread out. Classes queue outside 5-10 minutes before and go in single file together.

Also a one way system around the centre, so a 1-way flow of people. Very well organised.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Been back swimming for a couple of weeks. I have to say it is MILES better than pre-lockdown. The main pool at my local leisure centre is open for lane swimming all day, so now - rather than have to go between 6am and 9am, I can swim at any time of the day. The pre-booking app includes details of how many spots are free, so I can see exactly how busy it's going to be. Just returned from a lunchtime swim, and had a lane to myself for 40 minutes!! I can imagine things will gradually return to normal, and the pool will once again be available for swimming clubs, kids general muck-arounds, life-saving classes, etc, etc. Inevitably that will mean lane swimming being restricted to certain times of the day. However, until that happens I intend to enjoy things as much as poss.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I'd go back in a heartbeat, however, MSDC and Places Leisure haven't got their shit together to open the Centre's in Haywards Heath or Burgess Hill.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yup. Been back since beginning of August. Lovely and quiet. Often the only one there.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I went back more or less straight away. There is a booking system in place, which can help with motivation, and everything is very clearly labelled or boxed off. No showers at the moment which is a mild inconvenience but I have to say my gym has done very well.
Personally just doing CV stuff at the moment to shift a bit of timber, but will commence anaerobic stuff sooner or later.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Unfortunately I was using Impulse Leisure in Storrington and they've gone out of business. There's not a great deal of options in this neck of the woods (Storrington).

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I went back last week, and am aiming to go 2-3 times a week from now on.

Luckily, not put on any weight in lockdown - ate carefully, and used a neighbour's cross-trainer in the back garden during fine weather, and went on one-hour around in local parks or along the nearby River Avon a couple of times a week - but I still want to lose 1 lb a week until the end of the year, to get down below 13 stone for the first time in 20 years.

Was a bit nervous about going back, but pleasantly surprised; equipment is socially distanced (eg, with the 20 treadmills, every alternate one is marked 'out of action'), and everyone is adhering to the instruction to use the freely-provided wet-wipes to clean each machine when they've finished using it.

It also helps that only a handful of people are there at any given time, so when walking from one exercise machine to the next, it is easy to maintain social distance. It also means that there is no queue for any machine.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The booking system is quite good.

Can book 90 minute slots now.

I do worry that my gym is going to be affected big time with manor royal being a ghost town.

Wish they would ban people in masks in there though.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yup also been back since the start of August. Excellent new gym about 10 mins from home and very well organised with hand sanitation at the start and a bottle of fluid to take round with you to clean after each equipment use. The gym is then shut for 15 mins every two hours for a complete clean.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Went back last night and was pleased to see they got a few new machines in.
I used the first one for 30 minutes non stop before I spewed up everywhere. Good machine though...it had mars bars, snickers, crisps and twirls to name but a few.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I go to withdean and it’s been great since lockdown. Much prefer this new system of booking. Can actually get on machines now!
King Alfred is now open to will head over for some swims now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Been back. I've found motivating myself within sight of bed and food has its difficulties. Mine's got an app now where you can see how many people have checked through the doors in the last hour now. They've also started doing outdoor group sessions, which I'm enjoying despite fairly chronic anxiety about it fuelled by physical incompetence and fitting in about as well as a (literal) pig in a synagogue.

Noticed a few PTs have left and started doing their own thing over lockdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here