Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
NSC is a wonderful Smörgåsbord of opinions so when seeking advice from complete strangers it's a good place to start.

I've been living abroad for a number of years now but recently I've been feeling strong desires to move home to the fine city of Brighton and Hove. My girlfriend is pretty keen as she wants to improve her English and I own my flat here in Valencia with a mortgage of about a hundred quid a month so I always have that safety net. I work from home for a British company so no problems there.

Anyone done something similar and care to share their experiences? I've made a loose list of pros and cons so please feel free to jump in.

Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)
- Can play more golf
- Pubs
- Friends and family to spend more time with
- Pubs
- Decent international food
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes
- Pubs

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier than I remember
- Weather is terrible most of the year
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next

Thanks in advance for your input!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How old are you? Might make a difference. Brighton's a great city if you're relatively young, but personally wouldn't really fancy retiring there. Maybe choose somewhere just outside the city. Always fancied moving to Lewes - but it's soooooo expensive.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
NSC is a wonderful Smörgåsbord of opinions so when seeking advice from complete strangers it's a good place to start.

I've been living abroad for a number of years now but recently I've been feeling strong desires to move home to the fine city of Brighton and Hove. My girlfriend is pretty keen as she wants to improve her English and I own my flat here in Valencia with a mortgage of about a hundred quid a month so I always have that safety net. I work from home for a British company so no problems there.

Anyone done something similar and care to share their experiences? I've made a loose list of pros and cons so please feel free to jump in.

Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)
- Can play more golf
- Pubs
- Friends and family to spend more time with
- Decent international food
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes
- Pubs

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier that I remember
- Weather is terrible most of the year
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next

Thanks in advance for your input!

All of your pro's are really good reasons to come back. The big downside is it is an absurdly expensive place to live and it's not a brilliant time to be looking for work.

My brother lives in Australia, and has toyed with coming back at various points. I think there's always a case for the grass is always greener.

Personally I'd wait a few months and see how the rest of the year pans out. There's nothing stopping you from doing it down the line.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes. It's the only part of England I'd give up Tokyo for.

Of course that could just be Nostalgia. I only get back once every 18 months or so and I'm there for a couple of weeks so everything always seems rosy. But, more and more, when I go back I feel I'd be happy to stay.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
How old are you? Might make a difference. Brighton's a great city if you're relatively young, but personally wouldn't really fancy retiring there. Maybe choose somewhere just outside the city. Always fancied moving to Lewes - but it's soooooo expensive.

Just turned 39 so not looking to torpedo Smirnoff Ice down The Event but not exactly retiring either.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If you both have jobs at the moment then its certainly a risk to move and one of you have to look for work especially in the current climate.
I'd put up with the betty swollocks and stay in Spain.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yes. It's the only part of England I'd give up Tokyo for.

Of course that could just be Nostalgia. I only get back once every 18 months or so and I'm there for a couple of weeks so everything always seems rosy. But, more and more, when I go back I feel I'd be happy to stay.

I haven't been back since last year but I normally go back every 6 months or so. Like you, every time I go back it feels a little sweeter but that novelty might wear off soon enough.

Tokyo - good choice btw.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
No to Brighton if you are over 35 but yes to Hove .

Remember however bad you think Boris is , Corbyn would have been 10 x worse .,

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
If you both have jobs at the moment then its certainly a risk to move and one of you have to look for work especially in the current climate.
I'd put up with the betty swollocks and stay in Spain.

I work from home so can do it from the UK or Spain. She might be losing her job here soon which is probably why I'm starting to seriously consider it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I'd wait a few months and see how the rest of the year pans out. There's nothing stopping you from doing it down the line.

Freedom of movement finishes at the end of this year. This could have a huge impact on the OPs partner being able to move.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just turned 39 so not looking to torpedo Smirnoff Ice down The Event but not exactly retiring either.
A description of early middle-age that the Great Bard himself would have struggled to better...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Grass is not always greener, but if you can afford it then it's still a great place to live. I'm 52 (53 next week) and age is really no impediment to getting the most of this city. It is just flipping expensive to live here. For me the real pulls are the relaxed and creative atmosphere, the sea, the easy access to the downs and the crazy amount of quality pubs and restaurants (and I am a picky eater!). Not to mention the Albion too!

If you are happy in Valencia though I would give the decision some very serious consideration either way.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If you can afford it (which I presume means both get work) then do it. Great city to live. It's always been a bit shabby and messy so I think rose-tinted glasses/nostalgia come into a play a lot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been away for 7 and a half years but recently spent the whole of June in Brighton. I have no desire to move back to Brighton, or anywhere in the U.K. for that matter. In response to your question, no, don’t do it. The reasons you give are sufficient to answer your question. I’ll add that Brits are too loud and rowdy as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd be far more tempted by Eastbourne in truth. Cheaper housing and every time I go there it seems a great place to live, and just a short hop to Brighton.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Grass is not always greener, but if you can afford it then it's still a great place to live. I'm 52 (53 next week) and age is really no impediment to getting the most of this city. It is just flipping expensive to live here. For me the real pulls are the relaxed and creative atmosphere, the sea, the easy access to the downs and the crazy amount of quality pubs and restaurants (and I am a picky eater!). Not to mention the Albion too!

If you are happy in Valencia though I would give the decision some very serious consideration either way.

I guess we could always rent a place over there for a few months and seeing how we feel by Christmas, then move back if it's not working out. Just a case of driving there and back with our stuff and the dog.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Freedom of movement finishes at the end of this year. This could have a huge impact on the OPs partner being able to move.

That is a very good point, hadn't considered that. That may well be something to consider.

When my brother was toying with coming back he ended up staying and getting his Australian citizenship so that in the future he would be free to move back and forth.

My cousin also lived in Australia and is married to an Australian. He had permanent residency but came back to the UK. After about 10 years of living in the UK, they decided to move back to Australia again, but he had real trouble getting a visa and it was an expensive process. If there's any chance of it becoming an issue, its definitely worth doing whatever you can now to make it easier for yourself in the future.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Come back regularly for football and weekends round town but sadly would never be able to afford to come back permanently

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I guess we could always rent a place over there for a few months and seeing how we feel by Christmas, then move back if it's not working out. Just a case of driving there and back with our stuff and the dog.

If you could make the timing work that maybe the solution. Good luck with the decision and be happy with your choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here