Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is mouthwash bad for you?

Dec 29, 2011
We have a lot of professions on this forum, but I've never seen dentist mentioned. Anyhow, does anyone know if mouthwash is bad for you? I use it regularly (3x a day) before brushing and I've read it's actually a bad habit.

Stumpy Tim

We have a lot of professions on this forum, but I've never seen dentist mentioned. Anyhow, does anyone know if mouthwash is bad for you? I use it regularly (3x a day) before brushing and I've read it's actually a bad habit.

I use it twice a day. I did read something a while ago about alcohol-based ones aren´t great, but they also have benefits (including protection against Covid allegdly!)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I use it twice a day. I did read something a while ago about alcohol-based ones aren´t great, but they also have benefits (including protection against Covid allegdly!)

Only if you inject it though.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley

I would have thought using it before brushing defeated the object of it in terms of fresh breath and protection?

I use a Colgate flouride one (no alcohol in it) and the instructions say don't brush your teeth drink anything within a certain period after using.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I would have thought using it before brushing defeated the object of it in terms of fresh breath and protection?

I use a Colgate flouride one (no alcohol in it) and the instructions say don't brush your teeth drink anything within a certain period after using.

Our dentist advised us to use mouthwash before brushing teeth, as otherwise using afterwards, washes away the good done by toothpaste :shrug:

Chicken or egg ???

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Whilst i'm sceptical about the benefits of using it, I fail to see how it might be bad for you.

A good, thorough brush, rinse and then a little dab of toothpaste post rinse is enough in my view.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Just back from hygenist who said some mouthwash cause staining. I think it was Corsodyl she mentioned

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Just back from hygenist who said some mouthwash cause staining. I think it was Corsodyl she mentioned

Corsodyl is not supposed to be everyday mouthwash though is it? It is a genuine godsend if you're having wisdom teeth problems. It's also ridiculously overpriced.

Dec 29, 2011
Whilst i'm sceptical about the benefits of using it, I fail to see how it might be bad for you.

A good, thorough brush, rinse and then a little dab of toothpaste post rinse is enough in my view.

There are millions of bacteria in your mouth, a large amount of which are healthy and crucial to the healthy function of your teeth, mouth and throat. Mouthwash doesn't distinguish between good and bad bacteria and so there is a consensus it may be bad for you.

I've done a lot of research and the findings are really mixed, as this thread has shown. I'd love to hear from a dentist on the matter but I have never found one 'in the wild' to ask.

Dec 29, 2011

I sometimes use it after if I want fresh breath, or during the day (after lunch) instead of brushing (as brushing too often can also be damaging).

But as stated in this thread, leaving the toothpaste in your mouth and not rinsing with water/mouthwash is actually the best thing for your mouth based on research I've done.

I appreciate it's a strange topic, but I'm a bit anal about my teeth. It's the one part of your body that doesn't regenerate and also makes a big difference to your appearance. A decent set of gnashers can change your facial appearance (not to mention save thousands in dental costs!) and so I'm pretty keen to know the best practises to keep them clean and healthy.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I tend to use brake fluid, I know it’s wrong and I’m addicted to it, but I can stop anytime I want.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I use Listerine every day. Definitely makes a difference keeping my mouth fresh.

It kills bacteria so I can see how it's use is questionable given that a big % of our bodies are bacteria. Bacteria causes tooth decay and bad breath so from that point of how it's good but you have to wonder if you're also killing anything that is beneficial to the body.

A dentist only cares about teeth so they'll probably say it's good, I was talking to a health visitor about my son's teeth and she said the new advice from dentists was not to rinse after brushing so you got the full protection from the fluoride. I mentioned that ingesting fluoride every day (which is a poison) might not be the best idea for a healthy gut and certainly not good for a toddler who is developing. Her get out was they would've thought about that - would they f**k!!!

Sadly there isn't much information about keeping a healthy gut, seems to be a bit of an unknown in the medical world.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Any young Boys, Girls or Trump supporters out there reading this forum please do not gargle with brake fluid or inject mouthwash

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are millions of bacteria in your mouth, a large amount of which are healthy and crucial to the healthy function of your teeth, mouth and throat. Mouthwash doesn't distinguish between good and bad bacteria and so there is a consensus it may be bad for you.

I've done a lot of research and the findings are really mixed, as this thread has shown. I'd love to hear from a dentist on the matter but I have never found one 'in the wild' to ask.

Exactly. Same goes for using antibacterial soap on the old fellah. I was told to use aqueous cream. It has been transformative.

Back on topic, toothbrusing (electric) twice a day with sensodyn is sufficient for me. I have only one filling (last renewed about 20 years ago) and a full set of gnashers. The sensodyne has also been transformative as it plugs the tiny pores that allow cold drinks to upset the dental nerve. I can now safely drink 'beer' in north American bars!

Ironically, although I'm not a dentist, I teach dental students (but about drugs used in dentistry rather than teeth) so I must emphasize that my views are not endorsed by the British Dental Association. :rolleyes:

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I agree, I actually started using it regularly after meeting someone, it stained my teeth, making them look like I chew baccy.
I also had three teeth crack within five weeks of one an other.

Floss and brush is my recommendation.

Are the hygienist now open?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here