Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] A Level appeal

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Back in 1980, I was awarded only an E for my English Literature A level. I am convinced that this mark was unfair, based on an ill-conceived secret algorithm that nobody understood or remembers, and as such ruined my life.

My coursework, which no longer survives, must have graded me as a minimum A star equivalent, and my teachers, most of whom, if not all, are now dead, thought I was incredibly intelligent and top of the class so would have assessed me A star as well.

How do I appeal against this manifest injustice, and get the result I obviously deserve so I can restart my life from forty years ago?

How much compensation am I entitled to for the stress and the waiting?

Why can't I have a gap year now?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Back in 1980, I was awarded only an E for my English Literature A level. I am convinced that this mark was unfair, based on an ill-conceived secret algorithm that nobody understood or remembers, and as such ruined my life.

My coursework, which no longer survives, must have graded me as a minimum A star equivalent, and my teachers, most of whom, if not all, are now dead, thought I was incredibly intelligent and top of the class so would have assessed me A star as well.

How do I appeal against this manifest injustice, and get the result I obviously deserve so I can restart my life from forty years ago?

Nice try but your appeal will fall at the first hurdle. The old GCE A level was based purely on the exam. On that basis i just crammed and scraped a D in English Lit and E in Economics & Public Affairs.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
About as funny as Miranda :facepalm:

Keep watching TV.
There will be adverts coming soon.

Lost a university place due to downgrading?

Call this number for University appeals.

A special advisor will be appointed to help you with your appeal on a no win no fee basis.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Pah!

I raise you ....

In 1976 I was awarded a U for English Lit - and I know I'm better than that .....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Did you drink so much snakebite the night before that you slept through your exam then?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Did you drink so much snakebite the night before that you slept through your exam then?
Might have done... don't remember....

Watneys Red Barrel and Merrydown could be an evil combination though.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
True story. I failed both my Business and Geography A-levels, largely due to the fact that I went out the night before the exams to get pissed up and ended up taking so much ecstasy I shit the bed trainspotting style and urinated all over my poor mate who happened to be sleeping on my bedroom floor at the time. I woke up stark bollock naked with my right foot cut to shreds having had some kind of drug and alcohol-fuelled episode in the middle of the night. As preparation for a major event goes, it’s up there with Fat Ronaldo, ‘98 World Cup final.

In my defence, I considered that might be a fanciful excuse for my Universities of choice, and so sucked it up and progressed through clearing to win a place at the bottom feeding institution that is the University of Teesside.

I didn’t intend to go at all to be honest, my heart wasn’t in it. My heart wasn’t in anything back then to be highest, other than getting pissed up and tossing it off. I went for one reason only; that my relationship with my dad had reached a pretty untenable point. All his fault, if you’d have asked my 18 year old self. Through my more mature eyes now, I might accept 20% of his disdain for his adolescent son was my fault. ;)

I moved up to the ‘Boro on 14th September 2003, alone in my near 20 year old Peugeot. I met a girl called Emma that very night. Despite the fact I quit my course within three weeks, unexpectedly getting me kicked out of my accommodation and having to spend three months living in my clapped out car in the car park of Wolviston Services off the A689 near Hartlepool, we stuck with it.

In less than a month’s time, we’ll have been together 17 years. We’ve been married for more than 8. We have two beautiful children. I overcame my academic misgivings and have gone on to work alongside Oxford and Cambridge graduates without any degree whatsoever. We are in the process of renovating our dream hone, which we are hoping to move into in the next couple of months. We spent a lot of time living in squalor in our early days - but we had each other and we’re happy. Let me say this - money has made us no happier or more in love with each other - there’s a lesson right there.

Anyway, none of this is a brag. My point is this; the mechanic used for setting A-Level grades this year under these bizarre and unprecedented (urgh) circumstances seems incredibly unfair. It may be rectified, it may be not. But all I would say to the youngsters caught up in this predicament is fear not - if you are talented, hungry and robust you will succeed regardless. What sits before you now may seem unjust, but it’s merely fuel for the fire. Trust me.

Let’s not forget fate either. There are few bigger forks in the road than starting University. In meeting my now wife all those years ago, I’ve gone on to lead a generally happy and successful life. But more than that, I think she saved my life - I was not in good shape driving up the A19 that fateful, Autumnal day in 2003.

Whatever happens, know your talent. Know the quality of your character. Trust fate. You’ll be ok. In fact, you’ll be more than ok.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
True story. I failed both my Business and Geography A-levels, largely due to the fact that I went out the night before the exams to get pissed up and ended up taking so much ecstasy I shit the bed trainspotting style and urinated all over my poor mate who happened to be sleeping on my bedroom floor at the time. I woke up stark bollock naked with my right foot cut to shreds having had some kind of drug and alcohol-fuelled episode in the middle of the night. As preparation for a major event goes, it’s up there with Fat Ronaldo, ‘98 World Cup final.

In my defence, I considered that might be a fanciful excuse for my Universities of choice, and so sucked it up and progressed through clearing to win a place at the bottom feeding institution that is the University of Teesside.

I didn’t intend to go at all to be honest, my heart wasn’t in it. My heart wasn’t in anything back then to be highest, other than getting pissed up and tossing it off. I went for one reason only; that my relationship with my dad had reached a pretty untenable point. All his fault, if you’d have asked my 18 year old self. Through my more mature eyes now, I might accept 20% of his disdain for his adolescent son was my fault. ;)

I moved up to the ‘Boro on 14th September 2003, alone in my near 20 year old Peugeot. I met a girl called Emma that very night. Despite the fact I quit my course within three weeks, unexpectedly getting me kicked out of my accommodation and having to spend three months living in my clapped out car in the car park of Wolviston Services off the A689 near Hartlepool, we stuck with it.

In less than a month’s time, we’ll have been together 17 years. We’ve been married for more than 8. We have two beautiful children. I overcame my academic misgivings and have gone on to work alongside Oxford and Cambridge graduates without any degree whatsoever. We are in the process of renovating our dream hone, which we are hoping to move into in the next couple of months. We spent a lot of time living in squalor in our early days - but we had each other and we’re happy. Let me say this - money has made us no happier or more in love with each other - there’s a lesson right there.

Anyway, none of this is a brag. My point is this; the mechanic used for setting A-Level grades this year under these bizarre and unprecedented (urgh) circumstances seems incredibly unfair. It may be rectified, it may be not. But all I would say to the youngsters caught up in this predicament is fear not - if you are talented, hungry and robust you will succeed regardless. What sits before you now may seem unjust, but it’s merely fuel for the fire. Trust me.

Let’s not forget fate either. There are few bigger forks in the road than starting University. In meeting my now wife all those years ago, I’ve gone on to lead a generally happy and successful life. But more than that, I think she saved my life - I was not in good shape driving up the A19 that fateful, Autumnal day in 2003.

Whatever happens, know your talent. Know the quality of your character. Trust fate. You’ll be ok. In fact, you’ll be more than ok.

Great anecdote, you could write a book. Well written :D

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

What a load of utter, old bollox :)

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I failed all but one of my O'Levels in 1970 due to watching the 1970 World Cup in Mexico in the middle of the night instead of revising and getting some sleep.

Got a reasonable job the day after leaving School and have been employed in well paid jobs for all my working life apart from two weeks but even then I had a job offer. Simple fact was I didn't mature until I was about 25 and then studied a topic that I enjoyed.

Degrees are over rated and very few students actually use them later except those that become life students then Teachers etc.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was predicted, aged 14, to get a hatful of O-levels, then A-levels/University.
The reality was 4 O-levels (if you count the E in geography), Technical college for half a term before I was "invited" to leave due to non-attendance. Went to work at Amex for 4 years then got a job on BT which was a doss if you've half a brain. 36 years on BT, most of which was piss-easy and money for old rope (although I spent mine on booze mostly).
I've now retired aged 57 on a reasonable pension.
So, A-levels ain't everything.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m not sure that NSC is the right place to appeal for A-level. Could I suggest you try a phone box in the Kings Cross area?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
But hey Poojah, I was only having a laugh buddy. Interesting story.

Oh, I know - no offence taken or anything. And you're right to be honest; it's easy to paint a binary picture of success or failure but in reality life's not like that. Me and the missus, as happy as we are together (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), are not without our issues, just like any relationship really.

My general point is that you don't always get to pick your own cards in life, and that's probably more true than ever right now - particularly for the younger generation (man, I feel old just typing that, and I'm 'only' 35). Accept that you're not in control of everything, control the bits you can control, and make the most the of the odd unexpected opportunity that fate has to throw in your direction along the way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here