Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Ring Doorbell

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Bought one of these and have to say it is total crap. It triggers on less than half the occasions that the front door is used. Has anyone tried another make with decent results?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Bought one of these and have to say it is total crap. It triggers on less than half the occasions that the front door is used. Has anyone tried another make with decent results?

No, but I like this channel on YouTube so saw this video. It would have put me off wanting one

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I prefer knockers

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
£170 for a doorbell no thanks

Our in-laws from Vegas stayed with us for a few days last year and they spent over an hour one night worrying about someone in their driveway.... then after an hour they phoned their neighbors and it was them watering the garden.!!

Hey honey there’s someone on the drive !!!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't forget to wave to the nice man watching your recorded videos!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I was given one free, works fine. You can adjust the sensor through the app to prevent inaccurate notifications [i.e. ensure cars passing in the street, neighbours don't trigger it].

In my view not worth £120 but a good piece of kit

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
mine seems to work when the doorbell is pressed, but I really wanted it, as an easy to set up cctv camera. It is supposed to record when motion detected. It does sometimes but not a lot!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
mine seems to work when the doorbell is pressed, but I really wanted it, as an easy to set up cctv camera. It is supposed to record when motion detected. It does sometimes but not a lot!

Watch the video I posted. The fella goes in to a lot of detail and it may explain your inconsistency issues with it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Can you set it up to give you a notification when some bit of crumpet is about to walk past your door?

Oh hang on ... what was that? 2020? you really can't say that now? Oh ok

D

Deleted member 22389

I have not had a good experience with wireless doorbells in general. In the end I just purchased one that has wires directly to the bell.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Maybe i just have a dodgy one. I have experimented with all the settings, and the results are just inconsistent. The recordings themselves are fine, its the activation either on person or motion that is unreliable. I will ask for an exchange.

thanks all

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Have you tried lubricating the end of the bell and rubbing it up and down a few times?

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South

Try adjusting the settings. We can get our to pick up just about any motion or set it up where a person basically has to be right in front of our door. I travel a lot and having it provides a lot of peace of mind knowing my wife doesn’t have to open the door to strangers and also checking to make sure she got home alright after a long day. Have been across the country and talked to the UPS guy through our Ring where to put packages, etc.

If fumble with the setting prior to saying it is a bad device, IMO.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have not had a good experience with wireless doorbells in general. In the end I just purchased one that has wires directly to the bell.

I bought a kit off eBay - two buttons and two ringers - one ringer placed downstairs and one placed upstairs - they have UK square pin mains plugs so no issues with batteries.
I have one button on the front door and one on the side door. Both buttons are paired to both ringers - works a treat.

Only downside is that when the ringers go off, it's not immediately obvious which door has triggered [but as both our doors have a glass front its obvious, so not an issue for us]

With the video option I can see it would be useful to view who is at your door, night or day.
Could also be good to Bhah-humbug the "trick or treaters" and maybe capture footage of any "Knock & run" kids [do kids still do that?]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here