Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Peloton Bike

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Anyone got one and if so are they worth the money and monthly payment for the app?

I realise there are much cheaper non-interactive alternatives available but I probably need to be motivated by having some Bradley Wiggins wannabee looking at me from the screen and pushing me on as part of a group etc.

Thanks

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Anyone got one and if so are they worth the money and monthly payment for the app?

I realise there are much cheaper non-interactive alternatives available but I probably need to be motivated by having some Bradley Wiggins wannabee looking at me from the screen and pushing me on as part of a group etc.

Thanks

depends what you are trying to achieve. What is the goal, stay fit, get fit, weight loss or something else?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
all of the above would be good! - mainly to get fit/weight loss.

from personal experience I would say a semi expensive (£70 - £100) pair of trainers should do it. Im not being a smart arse here. I found that indoor cycling did very little to alter my weight loss but did make my legs stronger. Cardio improvements perhaps but it didn't touch my belly.

A regular run will burn so many more calories!

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I wouldn't recommend buying one of these - my advice would be to get a decent quality spin bike and I believe you can get a subscription to their app for classes separately if you wish. If you've then got a tablet and a stand you've pretty much got the same thing, albeit slightly less stylish for hundreds cheaper.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From what I’ve seen, zwift would appeal more because you can actually race, whilst Peloton is just a spinning class (although with some competitive elements) isn’t it?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Assuming you already have a bike, a decent turbo trainer is £600 plus then Zwift is £13 a month. It's excellent if you have the room but when my son was on furlough and using it in the same room as me working from home it was quite noisy and distracting. Also, the sweat coming off him was pretty disgusting to see.

For weight loss, you can't beat running. £70 for a pair of Asics, download Couch to 5k and away you go.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Peloton is losing millions. It can't go on forever. I would beware for the time being.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Thanks

Don’t do it.
Dreadful value for money.
Get a second hand spin bike for a hundred quid or so and buy less mills on demand for a month for spin lessons on the iPad.
That’s what I’ve done, and no regrets. I would agree with Flash’s comment above about results though - I think running Is more effective for weight loss, if your knees can bear it. Fwiw, I’ve found a calorie counting app has helped for weight loss.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you get one, please be aware that the temporary cycle lane will be coming right through your home.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
from personal experience I would say a semi expensive (£70 - £100) pair of trainers should do it. Im not being a smart arse here. I found that indoor cycling did very little to alter my weight loss but did make my legs stronger. Cardio improvements perhaps but it didn't touch my belly.

A regular run will burn so many more calories!

For many years I used bikes at gyms such as Corals and David Lloyd. I thought I was reasonably fit, able to ‘cycle’ their interval training mountainous routes at a high level.

Then I bought a real bike, cycling round the hills of Brighton, often against a head wind. Turned out I was pretty unfit. A totally different proposition, real running, jogging or cycling is the way to get truly fit.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Thanks

Yeah, I have one and love it. It’s expensive, there are much cheaper options out there, and you need to pay each month to get the classes. But I use it loads, cardio is great, you can push as hard or as little as you want, be as competitive or not as you want. I’m pretty knackered when I get off. Went to see a mate in His new place in Hadlow Down, borrowed his other bike and we did a round trip to Eastbourne, c45 miles, all good. There are lots of reasons you can knock it, and for sure getting out on the road is better but sometimes there are reasons that’s not so straightforward. Anyway for me it works

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Just the app

I think you can do the app version only - no bike. They offer lots of other courses, my niece is a fan of the yoga. Much cheaper to try the app only.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I road ride, mountain bike, Zwift and have tested peloton. Each has its pros and cons.

Peloton is good if you want the interaction but without going to a gym or doing a spin class. You get out as much as you put in with the effort, it's great if you get more out of exercising with some encouragement. Peloton is more than just cycling now too. I you can, go to one of the showrooms and test it and see if it's for you. Missus RW doesn't like Zwift, but she did like Peloton so we're thinking about getting one.

When I Zwift in 'free ride' mode I just doddle about to keep the legs spinning but when I race or use it in workout mode I get serious. I initially got it as I didn't like getting cold and wet in winters but mainly ride Zwift now, rarely venture outside on the road bike. Save outside for the Mountainbike. Having a bike already means the outlay was just a turbo trainer, mine was around £800 I think, you'd also need a HRM and something to run it off so can workout as much or more than Peloton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here