Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] When you think your crash was bad.........

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Both nasty but racetracks are as safe as they can be nowadays. There's no trees, lamp posts, kerbs or such like to wrap yourself around.

I think thats why the barrier from the first crash was there, if that bike had carried on and collided with another rider then it would have been a much nastier outcome.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Both nasty but racetracks are as safe as they can be nowadays. There's no trees, lamp posts, kerbs or such like to wrap yourself around.

I think thats why the barrier from the first crash was there, if that bike had carried on and collided with another rider then it would have been a much nastier outcome.

Quite, if that had been the IoM it would have been Goodnight Irene for all concerned...

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Quite, if that had been the IoM it would have been Goodnight Irene for all concerned...

I had a "run out of talent" episode at last years Isle of Man,put my bike in a ditch. That was riding around the mountain circuit relatively gently one evening after racing had finished for the day. I plopped in at about 30 mph and it hurt so goodness knows how sore and lucky to be unhurt those blokes are feeling after those crashes. I'd be going out to buy a lottery ticket if I'd survived either of those.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
People look at me funny for wearing a leather jacket riding a Lambretta . . . . coming off F***ing hurts even at 15 mph. FOrtunately I've not made a habit of it, but you can never vouch for the actions of others.

In my experience usually Taxi drivers or fuel spills on the road!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
People look at me funny for wearing a leather jacket riding a Lambretta . . . . coming off F***ing hurts even at 15 mph. FOrtunately I've not made a habit of it, but you can never vouch for the actions of others.

I'd just look at you funny for riding a Lambretta. Seriously though, and all motorcycles have a place in my opinion,Taxi drivers are nearly all tossers and I've generally smelt the diesel just a nano-second before the inevitable "off" God only knows what it's like with a vehicle with such small wheels, I guess you have less distance to fall. It still hurts like hell though.Higher speed "offs" seem less painful for me as you slide rather than bounce. Another reason for wearing the right attire as opposed to flip-flops and shorts!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Pah, when the police tell you only 1 in a million survive the type of crash I once had in a place nicknamed blood alley where 6 people had been killed the month before and you spend several months recuperating...that’s a crash! :) Still didn’t miss the tie with Liverpool, they stuck me in a wheelchair and transferred me to the old corrugated shed in the SW corner instead! ‘Happy’ Days!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd just look at you funny for riding a Lambretta. Seriously though, and all motorcycles have a place in my opinion,Taxi drivers are nearly all tossers and I've generally smelt the diesel just a nano-second before the inevitable "off" God only knows what it's like with a vehicle with such small wheels, I guess you have less distance to fall. It still hurts like hell though.Higher speed "offs" seem less painful for me as you slide rather than bounce. Another reason for wearing the right attire as opposed to flip-flops and shorts!

There are a multitude of different types of scooter rider. The rallying fraternity, who actually do some proper miles, at a decent pace are generally the unseen minority. I don't get to do as many as I'd like, but I also use mine for commuting 25 m,iles to work . . . .and for nipping about shopping etc. ( I have several in the fleet, tuned/prepared accordingly ) One thing I've never done is poncing about on Madeira drive!

my avatar is July 1997 in the middle of France on the way home from Milan . . . still have the same bike.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
There are a multitude of different types of scooter rider. The rallying fraternity, who actually do some proper miles, at a decent pace are generally the unseen minority. I don't get to do as many as I'd like, but I also use mine for commuting 25 m,iles to work . . . .and for nipping about shopping etc. ( I have several in the fleet, tuned/prepared accordingly ) One thing I've never done is poncing about on Madeira drive!

my avatar is July 1997 in the middle of France on the way home from Milan . . . still have the same bike.

Fair do's and if you read my post carefully,as I'm sure you did,you'd realise that it was somewhat tongue in cheek.More power to you for a journey of that magnitude on ANY bike, I've got a BMW 1250 GS and I'd think twice about that.As I said though " all bikes have a place" poncing about on Madeira Drive or not.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fair do's and if you read my post carefully,as I'm sure you did,you'd realise that it was somewhat tongue in cheek.More power to you for a journey of that magnitude on ANY bike, I've got a BMW 1250 GS and I'd think twice about that.As I said though " all bikes have a place" poncing about on Madeira Drive or not.

Agreed, different strokes etc.

We were nuts to do it, on bog standard bikes as well, having said that, I'd do it again tomorrow. Oh to have 2 weeks off with some mates !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I spent a few hours this weekend watching fatal motorsports crashes on Youtube... it is oddly addictive.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I spent a few hours this weekend watching fatal motorsports crashes on Youtube... it is oddly addictive.

Why on earth would you feel the need to watch FATAL motorsport crashes on any platform? it's slightly odd IMHO, as is your 3059 posts in a year and a third about a club that you have never seen play live.Just saying!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why on earth would you feel the need to watch FATAL motorsport crashes on any platform? it's slightly odd IMHO, as is your 3059 posts in a year and a third about a club that you have never seen play live.Just saying!

I dont know. Its not really the crashes themselves, because I "need" the live commentary from when it happened, or I dont find it interesting. But why? I dunno... same reason people watch horror movies or crime series, I guess.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Utterly distasteful, you also have to wonder about the people who put those videos up.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I came off my TV175 years ago doing a left in the wet where there was a row of cobblestones across the junction. I was hardly moving. Thankfully just pride dented (and my left side panel).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I came off my TV175 years ago doing a left in the wet where there was a row of cobblestones across the junction. I was hardly moving. Thankfully just pride dented (and my left side panel).

scooter tyres where either made of wood or of the 'slipwell never grip' variety for years . . . . thankfully there are much better options now, as well as good quality suspension options, and proper brakes. Just as well . . . .you can buy a 50 BHP plug and play complete engine off the shelf now for any Lambretta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVEOAV70Qg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Those were two of the most horrifying accidents in consecutive races I have ever seen taking into account the aftermath of each initial 'off'. How it never went down as a very dark day I will never know.

Thanks for the vids [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]. I guess MV did not have an onboard camera? The VR footage was what I wanted to see. He dodged a couple of big bullets there. Fair play for getting back on, especially in the same leathers.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
scooter tyres where either made of wood or of the 'slipwell never grip' variety for years . . . . thankfully there are much better options now, as well as good quality suspension options, and proper brakes. Just as well . . . .you can buy a 50 BHP plug and play complete engine off the shelf now for any Lambretta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVEOAV70Qg

Jeez, and he rode it in shorts,tee-shirt and plimmies, he must have some cahunas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here