Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Uğurcan Çakır

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not a chance we're spending that much a on goalkeeper now Sanchez has proven himself. We're more likely to find an older keeper who's been released from a bigger club. A Caballero type player.

I did consider Stockdale but I’m not sure we could rely on him now with his age and bulk if something happened to Sanchez.

Walton will surely walk now Sanchez is ahead of him.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Can we get a bloody striker instead please? Will someone grip the issue for once? Do we really need another keeper?
I'd say it highly likely this story is total bollocks. No way are we sending €20m on a keeper when we have BBS.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd say it highly likely this story is total bollocks. No way are we sending €20m on a keeper when we have BBS.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Despite my repeatedly calling bollox 6 months ago I was told:-

The club must have 2 viable first choice 'keepers.
The position is no different than any other.
Goalkeepers should be rotated when form decrees.
The incumbent keeper needs to feel the pressure of his equal after his shirt.

€20m is basically free money, as the club has only spent £5m on goalkeepers over 5 years.

I assume everyone who said that when Ryan was in goal, are desperate for the club to now sing Çakır, or some such player.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I too hope this story is bolleaux. I actually want Sanchez to be our GK for a while, and I don't want to see someone brought in to replace him. A decent reliable back up is all that's required, and IMHO we've already got that. It's certainly not a position we want to spend an unnecessary £17M on.

As others have said, we have other priorities. Anyway, I think we'll be concentrating mostly on moving people in (if we can) this summer.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I wouldn't worry about this one. We will need a better standard number 2 next season and they don't come cheap. I don't think we'll spend €20m on a back up goalkeeper but you also wouldn't want to be left with Steele in the team longer term should Bobby get an injury. I'm looking forward to seeing Sanchez inherit the number 1 shirt in the summer and I think we'll see Walton leave to have a career in the game he can't have here. Steele is probably happy dropping back to third choice next season, it's just a question of whether we're able to sell Maty Ryan or if he'll be second choice next season.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't worry about this one. We will need a better standard number 2 next season and they don't come cheap. I don't think we'll spend €20m on a back up goalkeeper but you also wouldn't want to be left with Steele in the team longer term should Bobby get an injury. I'm looking forward to seeing Sanchez inherit the number 1 shirt in the summer and I think we'll see Walton leave to have a career in the game he can't have here. Steele is probably happy dropping back to third choice next season, it's just a question of whether we're able to sell Maty Ryan or if he'll be second choice next season.

I think it's almost a guarantee we'll be able to sell him.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Despite my repeatedly calling bollox 6 months ago I was told:-

The club must have 2 viable first choice 'keepers.
The position is no different than any other.
Goalkeepers should be rotated when form decrees.
The incumbent keeper needs to feel the pressure of his equal after his shirt.

€20m is basically free money, as the club has only spent £5m on goalkeepers over 5 years.

I assume everyone who said that when Ryan was in goal, are desperate for the club to now sing Çakır, or some such player.

Totally agree. No chance we’ll be letting Walton and Ryan go and going into next season with Steele and Sanchez.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure we will bring in a new keeper in the summer - and Ryan and Walton will go - just not sure we'll be spending such vast sums on one.

I do however think that a decent keeper gains you more points than a decent striker so maybe that is the club's thinking.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This scares me.

Leave our Sanchez alone. He’s ours. At least for another season.

There is ZERO chance that we spend six years nurturing Sanchez, managing his loans to Rochdale, etc....then, just as he starts to come good, we sell him. We MAY sell him, of course, in the future, once he's played 100+ games in the EPL and represented Spain, but selling him this summer would be bizarre. It's not happening!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it's almost a guarantee we'll be able to sell him.

Do you? Who do you think is going to buy him then? I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're either stuck with him or have to loan him out for the season in order to get him off the books (or as much off the books as we can get someone to pay).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
I think we can be fairly confident that as per Tariq Lamptey and Ben White that there will be a new 4 year contract announced in the summer on greatly improved terms. Clearly if a big club then comes in with an offer the following summer, we will have protected our investment and be able to demand a big fee.

It's It's way the club is moving forward with these young players, relying on them coming good to the reinvest the profits. Good model and we get to see these future superstars for a few years.

Hope we get to keep Sanchez for another couple of years before he hits the big time and I think he owes us that with the development path we have given him

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Talk today that Leno hasn't had any contract talks with Arsenal yet, so possibly Ryan ends up there ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bernd-leno-im-open-to-new-adventure-2t72m05wk

Maybe, but Arsenal really won't want to find themselves playing Ryan as first choice. I know they're drifting into mediocrity, but that's not a good idea. How many points has Leno won them in the last two seasons? Arsenal's problems aren't my concern but I really don't think they'd consider Ryan a number 1 goalkeeper for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here