Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] August 15th The REAL Battle of Britain Day

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I know we have rightly been concentrating on the VJ Day 75 years ago, but 80 years ago the RAF achieved their highest number of Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed (75) during the Battle of Britain.

September 15th is always regarded as BoB Day but they only (only) shot down some 56. Strange how History is written.

Not a good day for Tangmere tomorrow or Ford on the 18th...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know we have rightly been concentrating on the VJ Day 75 years ago, but 80 years ago the RAF achieved their highest number of Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed (75) during the Battle of Britain.

September 15th is always regarded as BoB Day but they only (only) shot down some 56. Strange how History is written.

My late Uncle Geoff was based at Tangmere for a while, despatch rider and ground crew. Lovely bloke, the best Uncle a boy could have.

el punal

I don’t doubt that you’re right about the number of “kills” but the 15th of September was when the Luftwaffe sent the largest number of aircraft to destroy the RAF and bomb the hell out of London. Every available fighter was sent up to meet them with absolutely no reserves remaining on the ground.

We prevailed because of the unbelievable bravery of our pilots, the incredible organisation and strategy in ensuring that we could always meet whatever came our way, and finally . . . luck. By late afternoon the weather had worsened and cloud cover meant that the German bombers could not find their targets and thus the attacks were aborted. It was after this that Operation Sealion (the invasion of Britain) was called off by Hitler as the Germans realised that they could not achieve air superiority.

A momentous time in our nation’s history and one we should never forget.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

My late Uncle Geoff was based at Tangmere for a while, despatch rider and ground crew. Lovely bloke, the best Uncle a boy could have.

I don’t doubt that you’re right about the number of “kills” but the 15th of September was when the Luftwaffe sent the largest number of aircraft to destroy the RAF and bomb the hell out of London. Every available fighter was sent up to meet them with absolutely no reserves remaining on the ground.

We prevailed because of the unbelievable bravery of our pilots, the incredible organisation and strategy in ensuring that we could always meet whatever came our way, and finally . . . luck. By late afternoon the weather had worsened and cloud cover meant that the German bombers could not find their targets and thus the attacks were aborted. It was after this that Operation Sealion (the invasion of Britain) was called off by Hitler as the Germans realised that they could not achieve air superiority.

A momentous time in our nation’s history and one we should never forget.

[tweet]1255793880852824065[/tweet]

I know I've banged on about this place before, but the BofB bunker at Uxbridge, is a fantastic visit to get a feel of what is was like during those brave times :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here