Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NZ shame on you!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Laughable that NZ we’re being lauded as best in class on covid. Well they’re now so paranoid that even a positive test will see you carted off and detained to a quarantine camp for 14 days against your will. Horrific development and shocking precedent or human freedom rights.

What if this comes here?

https://youtu.be/W3cDCIdW8YM

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Laughable that NZ we’re being lauded as best in class on covid. Well they’re now so paranoid that even a positive test will see you carted off and detained to a quarantine camp for 14 days against your will. Horrific development and shocking precedent or human freedom rights.

What if this comes here?

https://youtu.be/W3cDCIdW8YM

Are you shocked?

It was always heading that way for them.

It wouldn’t be the end of the world if they find loads of cases (minus the deaths) and that it’s been in the community for weeks.

Maybe a way out of this lockdown mess

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
A good idea if you ask me and something they do in other countries. What's the problem?

It’s a good idea to force people out of their homes and locked into a camp for 14 days because you’ve got a virus you may have no symptoms for and will never feel unwell? A parent whipped away from their family at no notice? Wow, welcome to Orwellian society.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It’s a good idea to force people out of their homes and locked into a camp for 14 days because you’ve got a virus you may have no symptoms for and will never feel unwell? A parent whipped away from their family at no notice? Wow, welcome to Orwellian society.

It's not about whether the infected show symptoms, it's the fact that they can spread it to the community, and to those that have underlying health issues.

Besides, your family quarantine with you so I think you're being a bit dramatic.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's not about whether the infected show symptoms, it's the fact that they can spread it to the community, and to those that have underlying health issues.

Besides, your family quarantine with you so I think you're being a bit dramatic.

So how do NZ get out of this if this is the reaction to a handful of cases?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
So how do NZ get out of this if this is the reaction to a handful of cases?

I'm not so sure there is a way out as such, until/if a successful vaccine is made available. The NZ government clearly feel this is the best way to manage it at present, which is similar to other countries that appear to have managed the situation well.

I guess we'll only have the definitive 'lessons learnt' a couple of years down the line.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm not so sure there is a way out as such, until/if a successful vaccine is made available. The NZ government clearly feel this is the best way to manage it at present, which is similar to other countries that appear to have managed the situation well.

I guess we'll only have the definitive 'lessons learnt' a couple of years down the line.

What if there is no vaccine for 18 months 2 years?

Everytime there is a case they lockdown and hit the economy even more?

If you test positive packed off To a facility against your will?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes, to both of your questions. This is what the experts suggest, and they know a lot more than us lot!

I actually think the experts are losing the plot a bit. Take the UK , transmissions up but hospitals seeing no uptick and deaths less than a handful a day. In fact I read that there are 2 hospitals to every case in hospital!

This needs to be looked at or people are just going to get fed up with it all.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
What if there is no vaccine for 18 months 2 years?

Everytime there is a case they lockdown and hit the economy even more?

If you test positive packed off To a facility against your will?
But in-between, they've been able to completely open up their economy and carry on more or less as normal. So perhaps stages of compete lockdown are more acceptable if they're able to enjoy more freedoms the rest of the time, rather than us who are going to be in a reduced economy for the whole period. We won't know the right answer for years to come in terms of economic impact and whose approach was best.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But in-between, they've been able to completely open up their economy and carry on more or less as normal. So perhaps stages of compete lockdown are more acceptable if they're able to enjoy more freedoms the rest of the time, rather than us who are going to be in a reduced economy for the whole period. We won't know the right answer for years to come in terms of economic impact and whose approach was best.

But they have shut down again - and if 1 case is the trigger what chance it not happening again?

That seems a lot more damaging than a less strict method, how can you plan ?

That border isn’t opening again, which isn’t the end of the world for them - but it’s still 6 percent of GDP and jobs.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
But they have shut down again - and if 1 case is the trigger what chance it not happening again?

That seems a lot more damaging than a less strict method, how can you plan ?

That border isn’t opening again, which isn’t the end of the world for them - but it’s still 6 percent of GDP and jobs.

So they've had 2-2.5 months where they've been more or less operating as normal, without any restrictions, with the exception of closed borders. If they now lockdown completely (in Auckland, not the whole country) for 2-3 weeks until those cases are dealt with then they can open up completely again.

Agree it is difficult to plan, but they might have more companies who have managed to survive, particularly in industries like sports/music events, theatre, weddings/ funerals etc that depend on mass gatherings, compared with this country where those industries are still more or less completely unable to operate.

And while I have no idea if this is the case or not, you'd imagine their public may be more receptive to a second lockdown as they've been able to go back to normal before. Whereas here, having seen how many people are completely ignoring the current restrictions, I have doubts about the effectiveness of future lockdowns should we need them.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Why can’t people just stay in their house? I had Covid in March and to have had our family forcibly removed would have been horrific. We self isolated and everything was fine. How anyone can you justify forcibly removing someone’s freedom and locking them (and entire family) in a camp is beyond my comprehension. The fear media have done an even better job that I thought. I’m now starting to get genuinely concerned our liberty may never be what it was and disturbed people seem willing to just wave it away.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Yes, to both of your questions. This is what the experts suggest, and they know a lot more than us lot!

Do they? Seems like there are a group of experts funded by WHO (Gates) and any other scientists that offer an alternative view are immediately shut down. These experts have contradicted themselves consistently. From Fauci saying masks no good to where we are now. News flash we may never have a vaccine that is effective. Even Fauci said one that worked for 50% of people would be a good result. Locking people up for a virus that barely kills anybody that wasn’t going to die soon anyway. The vulnerable can shield themselves and are anyway. Our civil rights removed maybe forever. The world plunged into the largest economic disaster on record. People thinking all this is ok. The world has gone mad.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Do they? Seems like there are a group of experts funded by WHO (Gates) and any other scientists that offer an alternative view are immediately shut down. These experts have contradicted themselves consistently. From Fauci saying masks no good to where we are now. News flash we may never have a vaccine that is effective. Even Fauci said one that worked for 50% of people would be a good result. Locking people up for a virus that barely kills anybody that wasn’t going to die soon anyway. The vulnerable can shield themselves and are anyway. Our civil rights removed maybe forever. The world plunged into the largest economic disaster on record. People thinking all this is ok. The world has gone mad.

If only it was so simple - the government have taken away any rights that shielders previously had, as in if they don't feel safe to return to work, they cannot claim sick pay or Universal Credit - so the vulnerable now have a financial reason to get back out there. I know there are plenty who have struggled financially during the pandemic, but most of those, as you have pointed out over and over are not at risk...
I fully understand the frustrations of the young, fit and healthy, but equally can't understand how people can have scant regard for people who have health issues that a real threat to them if contracting Covid.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Yeah when everyone is sitting in caves eating 10 years out of date baked beans cold

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If only it was so simple - the government have taken away any rights that shielders previously had, as in if they don't feel safe to return to work, they cannot claim sick pay or Universal Credit - so the vulnerable now have a financial reason to get back out there. I know there are plenty who have struggled financially during the pandemic, but most of those, as you have pointed out over and over are not at risk...
I fully understand the frustrations of the young, fit and healthy, but equally can't understand how people can have scant regard for people who have health issues that a real threat to them if contracting Covid.

Do you think it acceptable to physically force covid positive sufferers and their families into an isolation camp rather than allow them to isolate at home?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here