Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barcelona FC

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate they got stuffed but headlines a bit over the top today including Club is rotten to the core.. Have watched Albion for years and have supported good and bad years. Pleasure of a win can last for days and disappointment of defeat last for just hours. Must be strange supporting a team where you expect them to win every game and consider finishing 2nd in your league and getting to quarter final of CL is utter failure.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can argue about getting knocked out of the CL Qtr stages - but an 8-2 is pretty damning. Even funnier that some how Coutihno was allowed to play against his parent club, and even funnier apparently he had a clause in the Liverpool deal that if he wins the CL while contracted to Barcelona (not wins it with Barcelona, just while contracted there) they have to pay up a load of money

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The issue to me is constant changes of managers / President and zero re-investment in players that are suitable.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
It’s somewhat akin to the two Glasgow clubs in so much as the only thing that really matters is besting ‘the other’ (obviously Real in this case), in terms of titles and CL trophies, Barca and Real defined by those bragging rights in their own minds.

You do wonder if Courtinho will now be considered for a return to Barca, something that, prior to last night, seemed fairly unlikely.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It’s somewhat akin to the two Glasgow clubs in so much as the only thing that really matters is besting ‘the other’ (obviously Real in this case), in terms of titles and CL trophies, Barca and Real defined by those bragging rights in their own minds.

You do wonder now if Courtinho will now be considered for a return to Barca, something that, prior to last night, seemed fairly unlikely.

Doubt it, season long loan to the Gooners next

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think they would be a bit more tolerant about the loss if things were going great in other ways but they are in deep, deep shit.

They have no money, their president is an idiot, Messi is not happy about the shitshow and no single player is as important to his club as he is to Barca. At the same time they need a manager who is not Messi's pet. If tradition is anything to go by they will pick a Dutch one to sort it out and they are not pettable, so it would be interesting to see what it means for the Messi situation.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Tony Cascarino on Talk Sport suggesting Bielsa as a possible replacement. The Leeds fans are having another meltdown. Still laughing.

With Leeds he is garaunteed to qualify for and then win the Champions League, why would he leave to join some "also ran" club?

Don't get me wrong, Barca is a big club, but this is Leeds United FC we are talking about here.

Doesn't get bigger than that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Appreciate they got stuffed but headlines a bit over the top today including Club is rotten to the core.. Have watched Albion for years and have supported good and bad years. Pleasure of a win can last for days and disappointment of defeat last for just hours. Must be strange supporting a team where you expect them to win every game and consider finishing 2nd in your league and getting to quarter final of CL is utter failure.

It's much more than that. The Celtic / Rangers analogy isn't really a bad one. Barca are "Mes qui un club" in Catalan - more than a club. To the people of Barcelona who regard themselves as Catalan first they represent an entire way of life. There are Barca Bastketball and Water Polo teams, community projects and associations. Their history when compared to the Franco loving Royalists in Madrid is humbling - but maybe that's the soppy old anti-fascist in me.

Failure is compared against Madrid, success too, at least to a degree. But, of course, that means dominace in everything, since Madrid are inevitably in the CL every season as well. The 8-2 will have hurt badly but losing La Liga to THEM will hurt more.

I think they would be a bit more tolerant about the loss if things were going great in other ways but they are in deep, deep shit.

They have no money, their president is an idiot, Messi is not happy about the shitshow and no single player is as important to his club as he is to Barca. At the same time they need a manager who is not Messi's pet. If tradition is anything to go by they will pick a Dutch one to sort it out and they are not pettable, so it would be interesting to see what it means for the Messi situation.

And there we go. It takes a Swede to understand and nail it. :thumbsup:

The old era has never been replaced, arguably because you CAN'T. Replacing Xavi? Maybe if you're lucky. Iniesta? Ditto. Replacing both? Impossible. And Barca have spent a lot of money trying and failing to do just that. And soon they will have to replace Busquets, Pique and Messi as well. Can't be done.

It needs a new start from top to bottom, old guard cleared out, new president, Xavi as coach. I'm not sure any of that will happen but if an 8-2 defeat doesn't trigger it, nothing will.

I was lucky enough to take my son to Barcelona in Jan 2018 for a game, when he was 11. It was the start of the Valverde era and we saw a routine 3-0 win over Levante. Luckily Iniesta was still playing. He only lasted 55 minutes but he ran everything in the game in that time. Messi fed off him and Suarez off Messi, and at that time, that was good enough. By the end of that season they'd conceded 5 goals to the same opposition.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Tony Cascarino on Talk Sport suggesting Bielsa as a possible replacement. The Leeds fans are having another meltdown. Still laughing.

From a couple of weeks ago but we live in hope it comes true. My perfect comedy scenario is Biesla to Barcelona then we sell Ben White to them. Then sit back and watch the implosion.

However it is of course nonsense. No way would the messiah take a sideways move to Barcelona....

https://www.barcauniversal.com/report-lionel-messi-wants-to-replace-coach-setien-with-marcelo-bielsa

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And there we go. It takes a Swede to understand and nail it. :thumbsup:

The old era has never been replaced, arguably because you CAN'T. Replacing Xavi? Maybe if you're lucky. Iniesta? Ditto. Replacing both? Impossible. And Barca have spent a lot of money trying and failing to do just that. And soon they will have to replace Busquets, Pique and Messi as well. Can't be done.

It needs a new start from top to bottom, old guard cleared out, new president, Xavi as coach. I'm not sure any of that will happen but if an 8-2 defeat doesn't trigger it, nothing will.

I was lucky enough to take my son to Barcelona in Jan 2018 for a game, when he was 11. It was the start of the Valverde era and we saw a routine 3-0 win over Levante. Luckily Iniesta was still playing. He only lasted 55 minutes but he ran everything in the game in that time. Messi fed off him and Suarez off Messi, and at that time, that was good enough. By the end of that season they'd conceded 5 goals to the same opposition.

What they need to do is to find someone who is brave enough to give academy players a chance. Much could be said about van Gaal, but at least he gave Valdes, Oleguer, Gabri, Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta their Barca debuts. Rijkaard then did the same thing, landing debuts to Messi, Pedro, Busquets (even if he didnt establish until Pep took over), Bojan etc.

They need something similar now. Ronald Koeman maybe. Someone cruijffian, ex-Barca or ex-Ajax that know and understand the philosophy of Barca.

Not sure about Xavi though. He is making Al-Sadd all sad currently, from what I've read.

Really bad for them is that their next president election is not until next year. Bartomeu needs out. Both the main candidates, Victor Font and Joan Laporta, would be would be excellent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The issue to me is constant changes of managers / President and zero re-investment in players that are suitable.

[tweet]1294393116385071105[/tweet]

A billion Euro's doesn't buy what it used too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In 2010 barca had a blueprint. A plan

A group.of 23 year olds who were academy products paired with some more experienced academy products

Xavi
Iniesta
Puyol
Valdes

These guys helped out the 23 year olds

Messi
Busquets
Pedro
Pique

In the background they had

Thiago
Delefeu
Muniesa
Barta
Even Montoya

10 years on...those 23 year olds are 33, there no longer appears to be the clear production line of talent and rather than buying one superstar each year (neymar, suarez, alba, alves) to aid the team, they have completely changed policy.

Griezmann, vidal, dembele, Coutinho.

3 of those dont fit the style....the 4th seems the most barca player....and instead scored 2 goals for the opposition.

The culture of the club has been lost. Not just a game 2-8

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
"Rotten to the core" was from internet troll Chris Sutton.

However, I've heard number of times in the last couple of years Guillem Balague saying that behind the scenes there's a problem and that they're basically skint and wasted all their money on the wrong players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here