Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Park & Ride

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The brain dead guy who designed the cycle lane on the A259 did say that Brighton & Hove City Council had been looking for many years for an out of town P&R site.
So only serious answers please.
Where can they build a P&R that holds minimum 2000 and I would suggest 4000 cars, on a route where buses can handle 2000 passengers at peak hour and on a road that can handle this traffic without driving in to town.
Costing. As parking is £30 per day in town this could be £15 per car and passengers so money would be no problem.

Incidentally, braindead said no to the Uni or Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Charming - You might not have any, something I find hard to believe, but you could at least try and show some class.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Stanmer park seems to have been turned into a car park this summer. Braypool, Brighton race course, hickstead, waterhall

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
where buses can handle 2000 passengers at peak hour and on a road that can handle this traffic without driving in to town.

leonard_nimoy_simpsons_tv.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The brain dead guy who designed the cycle lane on the A259 did say that Brighton & Hove City Council had been looking for many years for an out of town P&R site.
Where can they build a P&R that holds minimum 2000 and I would suggest 4000 cars, on a route where buses can handle 2000 passengers at peak hour and on a road that can handle this traffic without driving in to town.
Costing. As parking is £30 per day in town this could be £15 per car and passengers so money would be no problem.

£15 per day? That's £75 for a 5 day working week! £90 if you work Saturdays. Not viable for shopworkers or a lot of office workers. And that's before the annual price increases. As a casual visitor to Brighton, I wouldn't contemplate £15 as I could park in Churchill Square for half that for the time I would need and Debenhams often pay for the parking anyway. In any case P & R is too late now the Council has broken the road network.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Park & Ride

The cycle lanes could be used by mini electric trains with lots of carriages to transport people along the seafront however I feel that the growing number of electric scooters using the cycle lanes may slow the trains up.... and the cyclists too for that matter!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

A few years ago Labour tried to force through a P&R site on the edge of Patcham. It involved destroying homes, a rec and allotments at Horsdean. I lived in Court Close at the time and opposition was very strong. I even got accused by some councillors of publically shaming them :lol: Thankfully the oppositon meant the council missed the deadline for funding so it didn't happen.

So in answer to your question, I don't think there are any suitable sites within B&H control but it won't stop people like Braindead trying to force through unsuitable schemes .... sound familiar ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've heard it said numerous times that they couldn't use the Amex due to football being on Saturdays but the main one in Leeds is at Elland Road :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is a problem for Brighton, there isnt any space due to geography. other large towns and citys with good park and ride have large flat spaces on edge of town to use. the obvious place is just east of the A27/A23 junction, theres easy access to area, put in a multi-story carpark. the locals will oppose, so wont happen. another option is land east of Coldean, i was told there was even planning applied in the 90s, local and greens objected. trouble is everyone want something done, but not willing to have anything near them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
£15 per day? That's £75 for a 5 day working week! £90 if you work Saturdays. Not viable for shopworkers or a lot of office workers. And that's before the annual price increases. As a casual visitor to Brighton, I wouldn't contemplate £15 as I could park in Churchill Square for half that for the time I would need and Debenhams often pay for the parking anyway. In any case P & R is too late now the Council has broken the road network.

Take the 17, l usually do.:smile:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've heard it said numerous times that they couldn't use the Amex due to football being on Saturdays but the main one in Leeds is at Elland Road :shrug:

Well the Amex is only used a couple of times a month on average for football, and even then games aren't always on a Saturday anymore, so surely it makes good sesnse to utililise all the space for P & R at other times?

The Race Course ought to be a viable option too, plus of course the present facility at Withdean, which isn't marketed correctly, and thus underused.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
The use of the amex would be too unpredictable because of the way PL games are moved for TV. Park and ride only works when it is known to be reliably available. Saturdays are also the peak demand day.

I agree withdean is very poorly marketed. It is also not a real p&r because it is only served by a regularservice bus route. To attrach drivers it would need a dedicated direct non stop service to the city centre.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The use of the amex would be too unpredictable because of the way PL games are moved for TV. Park and ride only works when it is known to be reliably available. Saturdays are also the peak demand day.

I agree withdean is very poorly marketed. It is also not a real p&r because it is only served by a regularservice bus route. To attrach drivers it would need a dedicated direct non stop service to the city centre.

You may be right re the Amex, although such a shame more can't be made of all that unused car parking space though. As far as Withdean is concerned, it did have a dedicated P & R bus service until 15 years or so ago, it makes one wonder why the council decided to scrap it. Like everything l suppose, it was down to the cost of providing it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The cycle lanes could be used by mini electric trains with lots of carriages to transport people along the seafront however I feel that the growing number of electric scooters using the cycle lanes may slow the trains up.... and the cyclists too for that matter!!
This appears to be one of the reasons Eastbourne is so successful. - the other is that no one wants to go there.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
That bit of land between King George VI Ave, the A27 and Hangleton. Been abandoned for years. Can't remember the last time i saw it being used for anything. Right off the Hove A27 roundabout, easy access to the A23 for out of towners. Looks crap.

Surprised they havent built sh1t load of houses on there, they have everywhere else.

I know there are a lot of bike lovers on here, but the cutting down of the roads is just ridiculous, driving is a nightmare - which is the purpose of the nutty Greens i guess. It will scare the tourists away and that brings in about £1B per year to Brghton. Thats a lot of jobs.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
That bit of land between King George VI Ave, the A27 and Hangleton. Been abandoned for years. Can't remember the last time i saw it being used for anything. Right off the Hove A27 roundabout, easy access to the A23 for out of towners. Looks crap.

Surprised they havent built sh1t load of houses on there, they have everywhere else.

I know there are a lot of bike lovers on here, but the cutting down of the roads is just ridiculous, driving is a nightmare - which is the purpose of the nutty Greens i guess. It will scare the tourists away and that brings in about £1B per year to Brghton. Thats a lot of jobs.

2749A106-C17D-41E8-B6FF-407A88216779.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here