Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] CL / EL etc

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
That is the end of an era for Barca.

I have never seen a big side ever play so badly.

I never in my lifetime thought I'd be saying this but Brighton's defence is better than Barcelona's!
Spanish football has really declined. I also think the style of football they generally play in Spain has been sussed out by the modern game.

Klopp's direct, fast style has shown to be far more effective than Guardiola's possession football. Drect football made Liverpool dominant last season and yet they weren't even close to being the best team in the league player wise.

The German style is the best and most exciting style of football for me. I think it will prove to be the style most clubs wil be using in the future including Spanish clubs.
When Alex Ferguson was winning title after title, it was through this fast end to end football the German clubs are all currently playing.

Ps teriible joke but worth a post:

Why didn't Barcelona have breakfast this morning?

Because they 8-2 much last night

Last edited:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Barca’s coach was shockingly inert throughout, just like some passive, resigned, unfussed spectator, as though events on the pitch were nothing to do with him. Contrast with Klopp or Guardiola.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I never in my lifetime thought I'd be saying this but Brighton's defence is better than Barcelona's!
Spanish football has really declined. I also think the style of football they generally play in Spain has been sussed out by the modern game.

Klopp's direct, fast style has shown to be far more effective than Guardiola's possession football. Drect football made Liverpool dominant last season and yet they weren't even close to being the best team in the league player wise.

The German style is the best and most exciting style of football for me. I think it will prove to be the style most clubs wil be using in the future including Spanish clubs.
When Alex Ferguson was winning title after title, it was through this fast end to end football the German clubs are all currently playing.

Ps teriible joke but worth a post:

Why didn't Barcelona have breakfast this morning?

Because they 8-2 much last night

I think you're right.

I respect the benefits of the tippy tappy possession based football, but as a fan, if you asked me, would I prefer Albion to one day play like an in form ManCity/Barcalona (Pep's Barca) or an in form Liverpool/Ferguson's United/Bayern Munich?, it would be the latter all day long.

I know we will continue trying to keep the ball and playing out from the back etc, but I hope we will also develop our playing style to be fast, direct, aggressive, confident football.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think you're right.

I respect the benefits of the tippy tappy possession based football, but as a fan, if you asked me, would I prefer Albion to one day play like an in form ManCity/Barcalona (Pep's Barca) or an in form Liverpool/Ferguson's United/Bayern Munich?, it would be the latter all day long.

I know we will continue trying to keep the ball and playing out from the back etc, but I hope we will also develop our playing style to be fast, direct, aggressive, confident football.

I agree. As much as I couldn't stand United in those days, that style they played gave them the ability to tear through anyone.

I saw that Barcelona actually had more possession than Bayern Munich last night which says a lot about possession.

In regards to the Albion, I did notice after the lock down period, we'd become more direct. I think Potter first wanted to get the team comfortable when in possession after the conditioning 2 seasons of us chasing everything may of had. It looks like he's now nurturing in the killer passes and the quick one touch counter attack moves, so fingers crossed for a more dynamic team next season which I wouldn't be surprised about.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I saw that Barcelona actually had more possession than Bayern Munich last night which says a lot about possession.

These things go in cycles, and at the minute it looks like the fashion is moving to a more direct, energetic style of play, but let's not pretend that Pep's Barcelona (and others) didn't have incredible success with possession based football. There's not one style of play that's 'better' than all others, which is one of the reasons football is the world's favourite sport.

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Nonsense, you're using one game to reinforce a view that you clearly already held. These things go in cycles, and at the minute it looks like the fashion is moving to a more direct, energetic style of play, but let's not pretend that Pep's Barcelona (and others) didn't have incredible success with possession based football. There's not one style of play that's 'better' than all others, which is one of the reasons football is the world's favourite sport.

I wouldn't call teams going more direct "fashion" or something which happens in cycles.
Football is constantly evolving as a game. We try new styles, they become successful, then someone comes along with a new way to beat that style.
Mourinho's 1 upfront, 5 at the back tactics became very popular when he turned up. Then this Gurdiola football out mastered it and everyone started playing the ball on the floor, from the back.
Now we're seeing the more successful teams press like never before, much more direct, shoot with no hesistation and use their fullbacks like wingers. It looked like the end of the tippy tappy era last night.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I really hope uefa stick with 1 leg games for QF onwards at a neutral venue. Adds a tournament feel and the matches have been brilliant.

1st legs are always difficult to watch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I really hope uefa stick with 1 leg games for QF onwards at a neutral venue. Adds a tournament feel and the matches have been brilliant.

I assume you slept through the first half of Atletico against Red Bull? It's ok, everyone else did too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I assume you slept through the first half of Atletico against Red Bull? It's ok, everyone else did too.

I even enjoyed that. A single knock out game is always exciting even when the standard is poor. Even more so as you think "they are so bad one goal will settle this"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No **** that, while I agree it is more exciting with just one game, football fans deserve to see these massive games at their own stadium.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Like the final?

Or FA Cup semi finals?

The final being played just one game at a neutral arena is a decent compromise but up to that it should be kept as it is.

The FA Cup is not comparable. Most fans in England could afford / have the time to go to London but if a team from a poor, far-away country goes to the CL quarters thousands of their fans would have no chance of going. If some... Polish team would make it to the quarter finals, they deserve to see some giant team come play at their arena instead of having to go to Abu Dhabi or China or wherever the UEFA would likely put it if this became a permanent thing.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No **** that, while I agree it is more exciting with just one game, football fans deserve to see these massive games at their own stadium.

One leg matches are miles better. Perhaps they could use the group stage to decide where the knockout matches are held. Some sort of system that gives group winners home advantage when it really counts - which would them improve the group stage too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lyon do enjoy a good scream and roll around.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Wow two massive mistakes in a minute turns 2-2 into game over..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here