Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Snooker

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Unnecessary but very true the standard of play, even based on his own performance has been very poor. A truly shocking match of snooker this, yet somehow Ronnie is 7-2 up.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Unnecessary but very true the standard of play, even based on his own performance has been very poor. A truly shocking match of snooker this, yet somehow Ronnie is 7-2 up.

What's your review the tournament as a whole? I know from past threads you're into your snooker, have you seen much of it this week?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What's your review the tournament as a whole? I know from past threads you're into your snooker, have you seen much of it this week?

In the circumstances it’s no surprise the standard has been lower this year, the century break numbers are much lower this year than usual, think it’s in the 70’s compared to 100 last year. still been an intriguing tournament with very close matches but standard wise, nowhere near as good as usual.

I do think what Ronnie said could be seen as disrespect but he isn’t wrong.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
In the circumstances it’s no surprise the standard has been lower this year, the century break numbers are much lower this year than usual, think it’s in the 70’s compared to 100 last year. still been an intriguing tournament with very close matches but standard wise, nowhere near as good as usual.

I do think what Ronnie said could be seen as disrespect but he isn’t wrong.

I think that's a fair assessment on all counts. I don't dislike Kyren Wilson, but he wouldn't be a worthy winner of this tournament in my opinion - considering the standard of snooker he's played. The final frame against McGill was dramatic but pretty poor in many ways.

Ronnie doesn't seem to be in a particularly positive frame of mind, so it's quite impressive he's made it this far and the final three frames against Selby were as brilliant an attacking masterclass as you're going to see from being 1 frame short of defeat. I thought his comments were concerning, rather than disrespectful but I can understand why Selby wasn't impressed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think that's a fair assessment on all counts. I don't dislike Kyren Wilson, but he wouldn't be a worthy winner of this tournament in my opinion - considering the standard of snooker he's played. The final frame against McGill was dramatic but pretty poor in many ways.

Ronnie doesn't seem to be in a particularly positive frame of mind, so it's quite impressive he's made it this far and the final three frames against Selby were as brilliant an attacking masterclass as you're going to see from being 1 frame short of defeat. I thought his comments were concerning, rather than disrespectful but I can understand why Selby wasn't impressed.

Must admit I disagree with your first paragraph. Kyren has made his way to the final. Forget how he did it, he did it. If he comes back from 8-2 down a frame ago to beat 5 times champion Ronnie, he will be a worthy winner.

Ronnie is Ronnie, a naturally divisive character, but you said yourself and I agree that his last three frames against Selby were a masterclass. Whichever Ronnie you play, you can't afford a mistake. Kyren is a first time finalist and after a tournament without fans, they are back. Added pressure or added support. Now 4-8 after two winning frames, It's still a long way to go and I would say he would be a very worthy winner indeed if he can do it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have to say, I think this has been a very poor World Championship. I've been watching it obsessively all week and I am really surprised by the relatively poor standard throughout. Missed pots all over the place, poor positional play all tournament really from Kyren Wilson but not punished and able to make the final. Ronnie has been half the player he usually is, but he's somehow made the final and is now dominating.

Maybe it's just me - but this hasn't felt like a World Championship. It's felt more like a UK Open, maybe that's to do with the lack of atmosphere in the Crucible affecting the standard of play, but it just doesn't feel like either of these men deserve a World title after this tournament.

Second highest for century breaks, (- one match when Anthony Hamilton bottled out and whatever else happens in the final). Two of the best games i've ever seen in the semi final. Nothing wrong with the standard. Pots get missed every year

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Must admit I disagree with your first paragraph. Kyren has made his way to the final. Forget how he did it, he did it. If he comes back from 8-2 down a frame ago to beat 5 times champion Ronnie, he will be a worthy winner.

Ronnie is Ronnie, a naturally divisive character, but you said yourself and I agree that his last three frames against Selby were a masterclass. Whichever Ronnie you play, you can't afford a mistake. Kyren is a first time finalist and after a tournament without fans, they are back. Added pressure or added support. Now 4-8 after two winning frames, It's still a long way to go and I would say he would be a very worthy winner indeed if he can do it.

It's a fair argument, and the history books don't remember how it's won - only who won it. I don't think his performances throughout the tournament have been worthy of getting this far. You can only beat who you're up against but I've been surprised he keeps getting through. He was fortunate to have McGill in the semi-final, rather than Ronnie or Selby.

Back to 8-5 though, full credit to him for settling into the match and getting frames on the board. I have Kyren Wilson in [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]'s sweepstake so I should be right behind him but I'm struggling a little bit at the moment.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's a fair argument, and the history books don't remember how it's won - only who won it. I don't think his performances throughout the tournament have been worthy of getting this far. You can only beat who you're up against but I've been surprised he keeps getting through. He was fortunate to have McGill in the semi-final, rather than Ronnie or Selby.

Back to 8-5 though, full credit to him for settling into the match and getting frames on the board. I have Kyren Wilson in [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION]'s sweepstake so I should be right behind him but I'm struggling a little bit at the moment.

Engrossing stuff though. Ronnie has hardly been at the table this session. A good distraction while I do an hour of stretches before bed!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Engrossing stuff though. Ronnie has hardly been at the table this session. A good distraction while I do an hour of stretches before bed!

Honestly, I've watched all of it all week. I missed a session on thursday but otherwise I've been hooked. It's not been the best standard in my opinion, but it has been entertaining and lots of twists and turns. I knocked gambling on the head years ago but I'm sure there's been a lot of money to be made on in frame betting. Very few frames being won in a single visit.

I've eaten a full cake and I'm reclining like Wayne Slob, do some stretching for me!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I just think Ronnie is playing with him. Will win this when he wants to.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
O'Sullivan looks very shaky at the moment, at the same time Wilson is starting to play well; interesting stuff.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Think Ronnie will be relieved to get out of that one 10-7 ahead, he’s been poor throughout it’s a 4/10 Ronnie performance at best and he still has a solid advantage, fair play to Wilson for the fight he’s shown but no disrespect to him, if Ronnie had played any top standard player with a performance this poor he would never have been 8-2 ahead.

Hope the standard improves tomorrow, been intriguing but abysmal standard for a final.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's been a scrappy final so far, short of the quality that both can expect. Ronnie can consider himself lucky to be ahead right now but we all know he has more gears to move through...the question is: where is his mindset?

Wilson is good, but only good to beat Ronnie on a bad day.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ronnie cruising now by the looks of it, 16-8 in front and looking on the way to making it 17-8.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here