Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New cycle lane a259 Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, my apologies. Clearly ALL the traffic in brighton is from tradespeople and those with disabilities that do not allow them to take other modes of transport.
Clearly none are going shopping, or to non-trades jobs or to the beach or anything else.

Or setting out on a journey of less than 5kms.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
People need to get used to this because there are going to be more cycle lanes and more restrictions on cars in the coming years. That's not just in Brighton but in the country. The Tory government is looking to boost cycling so there'll be many more initiatives

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
What other space do you think cycle lanes usually come from?

I meant on already busy roads with no alternative provided, ie a very good public transport system, in this case running east to west across the city. Which is obviously lightyears away in this city, unfortunately.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ok, my apologies. Clearly ALL the traffic in brighton is from tradespeople and those with disabilities that do not allow them to take other modes of transport.
Clearly none are going shopping, or to non-trades jobs or to the beach or anything else.

Apology accepted.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
People need to get used to this because there are going to be more cycle lanes and more restrictions on cars in the coming years. That's not just in Brighton but in the country. The Tory government is looking to boost cycling so there'll be many more initiatives

Absolutely brilliant in cities such as London, Manchester and the like with extensive and ever developing public transport like the tube/metro etc.

What is the alternative in Brighton for those thousands who can't just jump on a bike instead?

Dec 29, 2011

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm going to give the council a huge amount of credit here.

At national level, we've had governments for years who have given way to the short term interests of the car lobby and the Clarkson worshipping generation who believe they are entitled to drive anywhere, whenever. The decisions being taken re cycle lanes almost smack of the councillors thought process being "what would the younger generation want me to do?" Or How do we want this city to be in 10, 20 or 30 years?" Exactly what I want from my politicians.

The cycle infrastructure the council have put in, in recent weeks is far from perfect. They've rushed it through without holistic planning and they've done it in the cheapest way. Those criticisms are fair. But this year represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to permanently change people's habits. They haven't planned it holistically because there wasn't time. In the usual timescales these things take the political will would have gone. They haven't spent much money because there isn't any. Council finances, not just ours were parlous before COVID. By this time next year, most city councils up and down the nation will be bankrupt.

The council have grasped the nettle and given us a nudge to to the only thing which can save our cities from being permanently clogged with traffic, in the absence of a vaccine once again making mass public transport viable, which we can't rely on.

It was the only decision, but it's also a bloody tough decision. It will certainly cost politicians seats.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Drove along this part of town for the first time in ages the other day and couldn’t believe what has happened to that road , it’s an absolute joke , first they mess up centre of brighton from the level down to seafront and now they have messed this road up, that donut that has designed this should be sacked . Have read that they will now lose £108,000 a month in lost parking fees on Madeira drive and this monstrous cycle lane is losing £27,000 a month in parking fees along the coast road , how are they going to replace that? With money from the Brighton eye LOL , we need a first class transport system with cheap fares and the place is crying out for at least two areas for a very good park and ride based around shoreham and pyecombe area with a regular every 15 mins bus service into town centre let’s say free to park and a £1 return per person starting at 5am through till 1 AM it works in other places so why now here ?

Dec 29, 2011
The problem with Brighton is it's very hilly. It's an absolute nightmare to get anywhere easily. Power assisted bikes are the solution imo, subsidise them and add lots of secure parking and you'll see an uptick in cyclists

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm going to give the council a huge amount of credit here.

At national level, we've had governments for years who have given way to the short term interests of the car lobby and the Clarkson worshipping generation who believe they are entitled to drive anywhere, whenever. The decisions being taken re cycle lanes almost smack of the councillors thought process being "what would the younger generation want me to do?" Or How do we want this city to be in 10, 20 or 30 years?" Exactly what I want from my politicians.

The cycle infrastructure the council have put in, in recent weeks is far from perfect. They've rushed it through without holistic planning and they've done it in the cheapest way. Those criticisms are fair. But this year represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to permanently change people's habits. They haven't planned it holistically because there wasn't time. In the usual timescales these things take the political will would have gone. They haven't spent much money because there isn't any. Council finances, not just ours were parlous before COVID. By this time next year, most city councils up and down the nation will be bankrupt.

The council have grasped the nettle and given us a nudge to to the only thing which can save our cities from being permanently clogged with traffic, in the absence of a vaccine once again making mass public transport viable, which we can't rely on.

It was the only decision, but it's also a bloody tough decision. It will certainly cost politicians seats.

Way too big a project to just do on the cheap and hope for the best.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm a regular cyclist and can't understand why the council did not just double the size of the existing cycle track along Hove lawns etc. If the new cycle lane remains the same as last night I won't be using it, it looks too dangerous especially as taxis and others were parking and stopping on it.

I agree with this. I'm both a cyclist and a car user although I seldom, if ever, use the car around town. There is plenty of room to make the existing very well used cycle lane which basically goes from Dukes Mound in the East to Fourth Avenue in the West both larger/wider, better surfaced, genuinely two-way, more clearly signposted and perhaps most importantly speed limited rather than create a traffic problem by closing a lane on the A259 to create another cycle lane. If the council are genuinely concerned about resolving the traffic problems in the city the answer is not to tinker with the half-hearted and seemingly random creation of new cycle lanes where they are not needed (eg OSR, A259) rather they should consider radical solutions like banning all cars except trade vehicles from the city centre, creating proper Park and Ride facilities, improving the public transport infrastructure etc etc etc.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Yes tourism is slowly driven out of the city with year-on-year increases in tourist numbers since 2015. But don't let that stop you spouting absolute bullshit.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...rs-boom-as-brighton-and-hove-bucks-the-trend/

The more difficult to get into the city it becomes the less people will come here.

That’s not spouting absolute bullshit

Unfortunately those visiting don’t know what a shitfest the traffic is until the get here - how many do you think will come back?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The more difficult to get into the city it becomes the less people will come here.

That’s not spouting absolute bullshit

Unfortunately those visiting don’t know what a shitfest the traffic is until the get here - how many do you think will come back?

Yet the hundreds of people stood at the traffic lights, around the clocktower, any given minute any given day look so happy as 1 fat bald middle aged man takes up the same amount of space, sat in his car, moving at walking speed.

Safely walking through open fronted shops, green space, alfresco dining, market stalls in comparative peace would absolutely ruin Brighton.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Yet the hundreds of people stood at the traffic lights, around the clocktower, any given minute any given day look so happy as 1 fat bald middle aged man takes up the same amount of space, sat in his car, moving at walking speed.

Safely walking through open fronted shops, green space, alfresco dining, market stalls in comparative peace would absolutely ruin Brighton.

That must be quite some car, not sure the biggest of motors is that big [emoji23]

I’m not sure why that part of the centre wasn’t pedestrianised a long time ago to be honest.

Whats happening now is that traffic is getting backed up for literally miles at the moment as a result of valley gardens and the seafront scheme. Doing it now at the busiest time of the year just doesn’t make sense .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Drove along this part of town for the first time in ages the other day and couldn’t believe what has happened to that road , it’s an absolute joke , first they mess up centre of brighton from the level down to seafront and now they have messed this road up, that donut that has designed this should be sacked . Have read that they will now lose £108,000 a month in lost parking fees on Madeira drive and this monstrous cycle lane is losing £27,000 a month in parking fees along the coast road , how are they going to replace that? With money from the Brighton eye LOL , we need a first class transport system with cheap fares and the place is crying out for at least two areas for a very good park and ride based around shoreham and pyecombe area with a regular every 15 mins bus service into town centre let’s say free to park and a £1 return per person starting at 5am through till 1 AM it works in other places so why now here ?

Nobody could disagree with your plan, though the fact that successive council's of all party have completely failed to achieve anything close to what you say, makes me think it not as easy to achieve as you're making out.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Seemingly nobody in Holland need to take stuff to work, have mobility issues or require occupational vehicles.

Once again car users are fundamentally so stupid they can't see they are major beneficiary of increased cycle lanes and better public transport.

Sure their physical and financial health won't benefit but you can't have everything.

Try telling my delivery drivers, taking 10-20 boxes of heavy goods to the restaurants, hotels, local schools, doctors surgeries etc to put it all on a frigging bike and delivering it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here