Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New cycle lane a259 Brighton

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just tried to get across town along the a259 from Marine Parade. Completely snarled up with traffic towards the Old Steine roundabout seemingly because one lane of the roundabout has been removed for a wide cycle lane stretching from there all the way to Hove.

Seems a ludicrous decision that will only cause more pollution due to idle cars snarled up, especially at the roundabout, or am I missing something??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes you're missing the point that nobody should be attempting to drive through Brighton on the coast road.

But in this case I do actually agree with you.

There are 2 pedestrian routes across the seafront, the massive promenade with a strict 'no cycling policy'.
&
A 'shared' path 20 yards away, next to the road.

That should be an all bells and whistles 2 way cycle path with no pedestrians, proper lanes and segregated from the road.

There's plenty of room for 2 lanes of traffic to sit nose to tail going nowhere.
A secure and safe expansive 2 way cycle 'road'.
The greensward
Plus the promenade.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Cycle lanes being put all over our city where they are not needed by the incompetent combination of idiotic Green councillors, supported by Labour . Ruining our city .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycle lanes being put all over our city where they are not needed by the incompetent combination of idiotic Green councillors, supported by Labour . Ruining our city .

Because it being one giant car park is so much better.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So what you're saying is there is too many cars there?

Well yeah.
I'm all for a greener environment, but cutting out a lane of what is already a busy road seems counter productive? Many people need to cut across town for work or whatever reason, and other routes aren't exactly easy in Brighton from east to west if you're more towards the seafront - for example in Kemptown, heading towards Hove.

If traffic continues how it was today then the council will have a lot to answer for, but perhaps it will force many drivers to consider other routes, or not drive (which I guess the idea, but I'm not convinced. We'll see...)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I like the idea of fewer cars in the city and more people cycling, who wouldn't, but I'm really not convinced by the idea of replacing vehicle lanes with cycle lanes on what are already busy roads. Seems very simplistic thinking to me and completely counter productive when you end up with snarled up cars belching fumes.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
I'm a regular cyclist and can't understand why the council did not just double the size of the existing cycle track along Hove lawns etc. If the new cycle lane remains the same as last night I won't be using it, it looks too dangerous especially as taxis and others were parking and stopping on it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This lot will leave one hell of a legacy for shopkeepers, residents and holidaymakers.

Shopkeepers = More money.
Residents = Greater safety, reduced noise and environmental pollution.
Holidaymakers = Much improved experience of the city.

It's a win, win, win.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm a regular cyclist and can't understand why the council did not just double the size of the existing cycle track along Hove lawns etc. If the new cycle lane remains the same as last night I won't be using it, it looks too dangerous especially as taxis and others were parking and stopping on it.

Don't worry I'm sure the Council will be out with the metal poles to provide a barrier as they have done on the extended Old Shoreham Road cycle highway, which about 5 cyclists seem to be using, in addition to the cyclists still using the pavement.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Many people need to drive. Build as many cycle lanes as you like, but you can't change the fact that many people need to drive.

Exactly this. Building loads of massive cycle lanes to replace road lanes is not the answer imo. Cycling just isn't a replacement to using a car for many many people for obvious reasons (families with young kids, work, those with disabilities, etc).

It would be different if we had an excellent public transport system from east to west across town that some of those groups of people I mentioned above could use and reduce car traffic, but we don't. You need a great public transport system first, then start taking out road lanes.

Last edited:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
So what is next for the looney party. Start congestion charges for the centre of town from the havoc they created themselves.
It's total overkill and complete lunacy from a very deluded council.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Shopkeepers = More money - With fewer customers as they won’t be arsed to go to town.
Residents = Greater safety, reduced noise and environmental pollution - those who need or have to drive will be disadvantaged
Holidaymakers = Much improved experience of the city - they will never get as far as the beach.

It's a win, win, win.

Far from it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I very much doubt EVERY car or even the majority of the cars NEED to be there. How many are people going to shops/out/doing a quick run to somewhere/going to work when they could cycle or walk or get a bus etc.

Seemingly nobody in Holland need to take stuff to work, have mobility issues or require occupational vehicles.

Once again car users are fundamentally so stupid they can't see they are major beneficiary of increased cycle lanes and better public transport.

Sure their physical and financial health won't benefit but you can't have everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here