Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Roof repair pricing.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Thanks chaps I think you may have hit upon the disparity. A closer look at that quote is the only one that mentions " To install timber support work ". So the price may be fair but my next question is whether I need that timber work? I'd kind of want so spend that money on the replacement windows we're also looking at.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thanks chaps I think you may have hit upon the disparity. A closer look at that quote is the only one that mentions " To install timber support work ". So the price may be fair but my next question is whether I need that timber work? I'd kind of want so spend that money on the replacement windows we're also looking at.

Thought so. It entirely depends on the condition of your exisiting woodwork. If its ok condition then there is nothing wrong with covering it with cappit/refurbishment fascias. By ok condition i mean not rotten, if the is paint flaking and it looks tatty but the wood is actually sound, then thats fine. It depends on the age and how well its been looked after (ie painted every 5-10 years etc..). If you have an old victorian house then more likely to have gone vs a 1940-60 semi or a more modern 70s house for example, unless there were spefici issues like the OPs house.

Cappit fascia will stop the weather getting to the wood and deteriorating it. If its rotten in just one but, you can ask them to repalce that section of fascia with a new bit as part of the job.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Depends on the state of the wood imo, if the wooded fascias are in good condition then covering it is fine as that stops the weather from getting to it and you are fixing somethng to a sounds surface. Felt does often go thats true, not a big job fitting new sarking felt on a roofline and often has to be done when fitting cappit anyway as that brings the fascias out by 9mm and can mean the roof tiles don't then overhang the gutters.

My house was only 16 years old when the work was done, the soffits were in a terrible condition and sagging in some places.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks chaps I think you may have hit upon the disparity. A closer look at that quote is the only one that mentions " To install timber support work ". So the price may be fair but my next question is whether I need that timber work?

Is this company from Bexhill or nearby?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Is this company from Bexhill or nearby?

No it's a well known Eastbourne one. And just to establish I was in no way suggesting they were trying to rip me off. After discussion on this thread it's obvious they were quoting for me for the full job including the timber work. Chap who came round was nice fella and window quote was marginally the cheapest we had and all were in the same ball park.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No it's a well known Eastbourne one. And just to establish I was in no way suggesting they were trying to rip me off. After discussion on this thread it's obvious they were quoting for me for the full job including the timber work. Chap who came round was nice fella and window quote was marginally the cheapest we had and all were in the same ball park.

The reason I asked is the installer that did the work on my house is from Bexhill, he added extra timber supports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here