Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dia in?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Um, Ed also plays in the Champions League, Swanny.

And he has a lot of big clubs reportedly tracking him. Hence, would be a big coup for us to get him.

This guy? Who’s after him? I’m not saying he’s bad, but clearly different level of interest.

To be fair, it's been two years since Celtic actually got to the group stages of the Champions League. They've been knocked out by CFR Cluj and AEK Athens in the last two seasons so it's only his first season there he played in the group stages. He's obviously played in the Europa League too but the point is still relevant.

And the Scottish League generally is pretty poor. At Celtic, his closest opponents have two players who couldn't get regular football for us in central defence.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To be fair, it's been two years since Celtic actually got to the group stages of the Champions League. They've been knocked out by CFR Cluj and AEK Athens in the last two seasons so it's only his first season there he played in the group stages. He's obviously played in the Europa League too but the point is still relevant.

And the Scottish League generally is pretty poor. At Celtic, his closest opponents have two players who couldn't get regular football for us in central defence.

That may be but Eduardo would be a bigger coup for us as a signing then this guy. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m surprised this is even a debate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sounds interesting. Maybe we are going to take a couple of gambles like him rather than buy a very expensive striker for £25 million or £30 million. Maupay did well last season and Connolly will improve. If we take a couple of gambles at £15 million or so and one pays off, we'd have done well

£15 million-ish? We've got a great track record there ..... cough .......... Locadia, Jahanbakhsh. No, what we need now is quality, not quantity.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seven goals in 24? In the bl**dy French league.

A great big meh for me, with a capital 'M' ..................... maybe Leeds could try him to see if he's better than Bamford.

Five minutes in the company of Bielsa and he'd be better than Cristiano Ronaldo.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well we should know in 48 hrs.

1st leak to singing never takes us longer than 48 hrs these days :wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What’s the line about making the same mistake and never learning from it?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
£15 million-ish? We've got a great track record there ..... cough .......... Locadia, Jahanbakhsh. No, what we need now is quality, not quantity.

To be fair, Maupay and Trossard were both around that level (Maupay maybe nearer £20 million). I think this is probably more of a realistic option than some suggestions

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Five minutes in the company of Bielsa and he'd be better than Cristiano Ronaldo.

But surely developing White from an unwanted apprentice to a future England megastar was the final flourish of his career? That's it now, he's shot his bolt, used his powers one time too many ..................... poor old chap's knackered, surely he can't do it again?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That may be but Eduardo would be a bigger coup for us as a signing then this guy. That’s all I’m saying.

It may be a coup but doesn't mean he'd be a success. Edouard has done very well at Celtic. I am not debating that. My point is he has not been tested and, in my view, it would be a massive gamble to spend such a big proportion of our transfer budget on a player who has only so far played in the SPL.

Obviously if we sign him, and the club think he is the player to take us forward, I will support their decision and hope that they are right but I really don't see him as the guaranteed success some have suggested.

In terms of being a coup, CMS was seen as a coup when we signed him. So was AJ from memory, as Leicester were interested and he was top scorer in the Dutch league the season before

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

What do you know. What does anyone know.

Eduardo being the more hyped up player doesnt necessarily make him better than this unknown guy.

Eight years ago Sunderland signed Steven Fletcher for £15m while Leicester signed Jamie Vardy for £1m. In January 2017 Brighton signed Glenn for £3,5m in the same transfer window where West Ham signed Scott Hogan for £12m.

Hype is bullshit. Higher fees and level of interest from other clubs meaningless. What really matters is good scouting and if you are good in that deparment, you can find cheap, great players every bit as good as the "flavour of the month". Now that is a coup.

Not saying this is necessarily the case with Eduado vs Dia as I know **** all about the latter but the idea that someone (or something, for that matter) is better because more poeple talk about it and more people want it is just flawed reasoning.

There surely is room for a "debate".

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Anyone else noticed that with Naylor gone and Owen on holiday, Charlotte Ikonen seems to have turned the Argus policy of not commenting on transfer rumours on its head by publishing them all.
Lazy/easy journalism maybe but good for fans.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Anyone else noticed that with Naylor gone and Owen on holiday, Charlotte Ikonen seems to have turned the Argus policy of not commenting on transfer rumours on its head by publishing them all.
Lazy/easy journalism maybe but good for fans.

I was just laughing at that as well.

Before anyone start calling either of us Sid the Sexist. I have nothing against women in sports journalism, but Charlotte is the "Regional Audience and Content Manager"

At least with Naylor his out of office Email had a reassuring ring to it.

"Hi this is Andy I am out of the office touring the Potteries right now. My sources tell me there has been no approach for <insert player name> by the club at this time"

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was just laughing at that as well.

Before anyone start calling either of us Sid the Sexist. I have nothing against women in sports journalism, but Charlotte is the "Regional Audience and Content Manager"

At least with Naylor his out of office Email had a reassuring ring to it.

"Hi this is Andy I am out of the office touring the Potteries right now. My sources tell me there has been no approach for <insert player name> by the club at this time"

Aren't Brighton 'The Potteries' now?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What do you know. What does anyone know.

Eduardo being the more hyped up player doesnt necessarily make him better than this unknown guy.

Eight years ago Sunderland signed Steven Fletcher for £15m while Leicester signed Jamie Vardy for £1m. In January 2017 Brighton signed Glenn for £3,5m in the same transfer window where West Ham signed Scott Hogan for £12m.

Hype is bullshit. Higher fees and level of interest from other clubs meaningless. What really matters is good scouting and if you are good in that deparment, you can find cheap, great players every bit as good as the "flavour of the month". Now that is a coup.

Not saying this is necessarily the case with Eduado vs Dia as I know **** all about the latter but the idea that someone (or something, for that matter) is better because more poeple talk about it and more people want it is just flawed reasoning.

There surely is room for a "debate".

Agree... Nothing I disagree with here.

Who knows who may or may not be the best signing.

But Ed is being tracked by a lot of top clubs, so we would have do beat a lot of competition to sign him, hence would be a bigger coup.

I don’t know really understand what the rest of your comment has to do with me. But by all means enjoy.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
7 in 24 is 0.29 goals per game. Maupay 10 in 37 is 0.27 goals per game. Reckon we would all take another striker that bagged 10 a season with Connolly, Trossard, Lallana, MacAllister, Bissouma and the CBs contributing too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here