Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Possible return of fans for some Pre-Season games? (Times article)

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The Times (behind a pay-wall) are reporting that the government are considering allowing fans to return to various events.
I've pasted part of the article below.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/government-to-announce-that-fans-can-return-to-test-events-fdqk0xjkv

The government is set to announce the return of pilot events for fans to attend after a two-week suspension due to fears over the Covid-19 infection rate.

The announcement, which is due to be confirmed tomorrow [Friday], should mean the October 1 date for a limited return of spectators to sports events can remain in place.

A snooker tournament is expected to be named as a new pilot event. It comes after test events to take place at Goodwood races, the world snooker final and county cricket games earlier this month had to be suspended after the government pulled the plug on them on July 31 following concerns over some increases in the virus infections.

The next set of test events are likely to stretch into next month and include more race meetings and county cricket, and football’s Women’s Super League which starts on September 6.

In racing, the St Leger Festival at Doncaster on September 9-12 has been earmarked as another likely pilot event, as has the Cambridgeshire Festival at Newmarket starting on September 24. The Premier League has offered pre-season friendlies as pilot events but it has been decided that the Community Shield at Wembley on August 29 will not be used.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As said elsewhere, its not so much how they make the sporting event as safe as possible at the stadium / venue. Its the logistics of getting there and back.

In the words of the great BA Baracus - I ain't gettin' on no train. Fool.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
As said elsewhere, its not so much how they make the sporting event as safe as possible at the stadium / venue. Its the logistics of getting there and back.

In the words of the great BA Baracus - I ain't gettin' on no train. Fool.

Where do you draw the line though ? People are communing on public transport. You can now fly, go to packed beaches, visit a pub etc etc.

Getting pathetic all this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where do you draw the line though ? People are communing on public transport. You can now fly, go to packed beaches etc etc.

Getting pathetic all this.

I draw the line at squeezing onto a packed pre/post match train like sardines, as is the norm. I've been on the socially-distanced buses which is ok, you always have a seat, usually spaced apart. But being CRUSHED into a train carriage in October with standing room only ?

Nah. Fook that.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I draw the line at squeezing onto a packed pre/post match train like sardines, as is the norm. I've been on the socially-distanced buses which is ok. But being CRUSHED into a train carriage in October with standing room only ?

Fook that.

What about tube commuters ?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
a330c582a8878ff1123030d880d1586b.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What about tube commuters ?

Luckily I don't use them, nor would I want to.

I have an 80 year old father who's not so well these days, so avoiding crowds is just common sense IMO. Tightly packed trains, for me, is a complete no-no, masks or not.

Everyone will make their own decisions though, which is fine.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Times (behind a pay-wall) are reporting that the government are considering allowing fans to return to various events.
I've pasted part of the article below.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/government-to-announce-that-fans-can-return-to-test-events-fdqk0xjkv

The government is set to announce the return of pilot events for fans to attend after a two-week suspension due to fears over the Covid-19 infection rate.

The announcement, which is due to be confirmed tomorrow [Friday], should mean the October 1 date for a limited return of spectators to sports events can remain in place.

A snooker tournament is expected to be named as a new pilot event. It comes after test events to take place at Goodwood races, the world snooker final and county cricket games earlier this month had to be suspended after the government pulled the plug on them on July 31 following concerns over some increases in the virus infections.

The next set of test events are likely to stretch into next month and include more race meetings and county cricket, and football’s Women’s Super League which starts on September 6.

In racing, the St Leger Festival at Doncaster on September 9-12 has been earmarked as another likely pilot event, as has the Cambridgeshire Festival at Newmarket starting on September 24. The Premier League has offered pre-season friendlies as pilot events but it has been decided that the Community Shield at Wembley on August 29 will not be used.

Well they’ve made the announcement this evening snooker is back to where the tournament started ...oh and you can get your eyebrows done

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
They could do with installing a big station for the green hire bikes at the stadium. A huge one. Lots of people coming from the city centre could cycle there / back. Cycling back could be especially popular to avoid the queue and wait time for trains.

Would have been a good idea anyway, in the current situation would provide an alternative to trains and buses to reduce crowding.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This video (which is also posted on the Zakaria Labyad thread) is from last night's friendly in Amsterdam.
I initially assumed the sporadic crowd were cut outs until I saw them start moving. They seem to be a minimum of three seats apart with only a very small number allowed.
I guess it would be a similar arrangement initially at The Amex.

Incidentally, Netherlands have now been added along with France as countries requiring a 14 day quarantine if coming into UK.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
good news its back being discussed after the last pilots were cancelled.

Personally ,I'd get on a packed train and wouldn't be too worried. Masks or not.

The stadium will be absolutely fine I'm sure.

Will it be sterile ... thats another argument but to get to the old crowds we have to go through the pilot and the sooner the better for me

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They could do with installing a big station for the green hire bikes at the stadium. A huge one. Lots of people coming from the city centre could cycle there / back. Cycling back could be especially popular to avoid the queue and wait time for trains.

Would have been a good idea anyway, in the current situation would provide an alternative to trains and buses to reduce crowding.

Anyone know if there's one already installed at Sussex Uni? If not, would make perfect sense to install a humungous one to serve both sites. Can't see it could really be justified for the Amex alone, seeing how it would only get used a couple of dozen times a year

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
The biggest joke is not allowing fans at non-league steps 4,5,6 etc. Most clubs attract crowds 30-300 and will die without fans attending yet I can sit in a pub, go bowling, head to the gym then get the bus home without any trouble. Heaven forbid me and a mate go watch a local game in open air.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The club could insist that spectators visit the Amex only by car, bike or foot. That would stop the crowding on trains scenario.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here