Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Memories of Justin Fashanu?

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
I was playing for a sunday league team just after he signed and he turned up at the training session in Preston Park joined in the training match at the end of the night wearing baseball boots. He hit a cross so hard that it knocked one of our players clean off his feet. Didn't talk much and we were all too awe struck anyway but seemed a nice enough fella. First team I realised the difference in power profesional sportsman have over us mere mortals.

Thanks for that. I know he used to play tennis in Preston Park. No one has had a bad word to say about him :)

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Off the pitch you say? Well, it turns out, incredibly enough, that Justin was gay. Who'd have imagined it eh? Furthermore, despite the many suspicions about "them" at the time, my memories indicate the only footballer with veneral disease at that point had a playing career at Manchester United before a very long spell managing our rivals up the road.

Thank you for replying. I have no idea who you're talking about but thanks anyway, lol.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Didn't contain anything about his life 'off the pitch' in Brighton, but there was an excellent interview with his niece in the programme for the game against Palace. If this is a serious piece of research into his life, you could try contacting her.

Thank you. I'm trying I've but not managed to get a reply from her yet.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Is the subject of your project ‘disappointing Brighton players in the mid to late 80s’?

Only I’ve got a few Richard Tiltman tales that I’m pretty sure would be a good for a chapter.

And don’t get me started on Grant Horscroft.

Ha ha, no, but thank you for your interest

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Met him outside the ground when he was injured and had a quick chat with him (I was 8 years old). Was a lovely guy - have got a photo of me and him that Dad took. Mick Ferguson was also there and moved out of the way when the photo was taken - even aged 8, I remember it being horribly cringeworthy - Dad thankfully told him to get back in the photo (obviously photoshopped him out when the technology appeared 20 years later...)

Thanks. Yup, everyone who actually met him seems to agree he was a really nice guy

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Yes - I do.

But the OP hasn't responded to an early post asking for details of his project and if he can't be arsed to do that then I cant be arsed to tell him about Justin!

Hi. Sorry, I was unable to look at this site today. It'd be great to hear any memories you have.

My research will go to the Brighton & Hove Black History group as Justin Fashanu isn't currently listed on their website: https://www.black-history.org.uk/category/20th-century/. And if it goes well I'll be writing an article for Black History Month in Gscene magazine. His football career is well documented but brief in Brighton, I'm trying to connect him as a person to people and locations in town.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Any further details on your massively important, yet incredibly niche, local history project ???

I'd agree it's incredibly niche! Here you go:
My research will go to the Brighton & Hove Black History group as Justin Fashanu isn't currently listed on their website: https://www.black-history.org.uk/category/20th-century/. And if it goes well I'll be writing an article for Black History Month in Gscene magazine. His football career is well documented but brief in Brighton, I'm trying to connect him as a person to people and locations in town.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
I loved it when we signed him. Shoot Magazine printed his pic in the classic Phoenix Brewery shirt. Had that on my wall. I spoke with him on a SCR phone in soon after he signed.

I do remember that the months before his death were a tabloid writer’s dream. His bizarre relationship with Julie Goodyear and then the sexual assault allegations in the States which apparently caused him to leave the country on the hoof. I am sure at the time of his death, reports attributed his suicide to being wanted in America but that seems to have been forgotten these days and the popular opinion is that he took his life due to victimisation linked to his sexuality. It’s a long time ago and maybe my recollection is wrong. Regardless, it was a very sad end to a talented but troubled life.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks. Yup, everyone who actually met him seems to agree he was a really nice guy

I knew he lived somewhere around Regency Square as I visited his flat one day to try and get contact for him to speak to a Christian group. He wasn't there alas, and I had no other means of contact. Certainly his faith and sexuality would have been something that he had great trouble reconciling.

As for earlier doubts and scorn in this thread, some background. In the past it has not been uncommon for opposition fans to start a thinly veiled thread on this forum that touches on the issue of sexuality merely to bait and seek a cheap homophobic thrill. Apologies for that, but it is forgivable in context without some deeper reasoning as to why the person may be asking.

I know your enquiry is genuine now as I have seen it elsewhere in local social media. I hope your project is successful in gaining the content it needs.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I knew he lived somewhere around Regency Square as I visited his flat one day to try and get contact for him to speak to a Christian group. He wasn't there alas, and I had no other means of contact. Certainly his faith and sexuality would have been something that he had great trouble reconciling.

As for earlier doubts and scorn in this thread, some background. In the past it has not been uncommon for opposition fans to start a thinly veiled thread on this forum that touches on the issue of sexuality merely to bait and seek a cheap homophobic thrill. Apologies for that, but it is forgivable in context without some deeper reasoning as to why the person may be asking.

I know your enquiry is genuine now as I have seen it elsewhere in local social media. I hope your project is successful in gaining the content it needs.

Pretty sure he had a flat in Sussex Heights.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
I loved it when we signed him. Shoot Magazine printed his pic in the classic Phoenix Brewery shirt. Had that on my wall. I spoke with him on a SCR phone in soon after he signed.

I do remember that the months before his death were a tabloid writer’s dream. His bizarre relationship with Julie Goodyear and then the sexual assault allegations in the States which apparently caused him to leave the country on the hoof. I am sure at the time of his death, reports attributed his suicide to being wanted in America but that seems to have been forgotten these days and the popular opinion is that he took his life due to victimisation linked to his sexuality. It’s a long time ago and maybe my recollection is wrong. Regardless, it was a very sad end to a talented but troubled life.

From the people I've spoken to I would agree with you about the assault allegations playing quite a significant role. But I'm trying not to speculate and just listen to others, so thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited:

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020

Hello and thank you for the explanation. I wasn't aware of previous baiting by opposing fans but I can imagine it now. A fair number of people I've spoken with have initially been suspicious and that's fair enough. Thanks for the memory about his flat, that confirms what I've been told elsewhere :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thank you for replying. I have no idea who you're talking about but thanks anyway, lol.

My apologies to you. As [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] says we've had a few users sign up in the past simply to post homophobic taunts and then disappear (or try to keep up the sad act).

Now I have more details I can see you're genuine so sorry for the hostility. Good luck with the project.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
My apologies to you. As [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] says we've had a few users sign up in the past simply to post homophobic taunts and then disappear (or try to keep up the sad act).

Now I have more details I can see you're genuine so sorry for the hostility. Good luck with the project.

No worries - I completely understand, thanks :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I remember reading in the Argus that he was a born again Christian and never swore. Fifteen minutes into his first pre season friendly someone clattered into him and you heard the word “bastard” proclaimed by JF

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Going back 30+ years, So memory very hazy/vague but mate of mine says he saw him walking down his road in Burgess Hill with another chap, so stopped him for an autograph and a chat then went inside his house. Some time later (days or weeks, can’t remember), mate goes home and his mum tells him that someone of Justin’s description had knocked on my mate’s door to have a chat again with him.

Now I didn’t believe this at the time when told but mate was absolutely convinced and got the hump with my mocking of, a) of the original meeting and b) JF’s call at his house.

Next time I bump into this mate, I’ll see if he recalls anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here